Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wow. Both extremes.

Some interested in moving him some still believing the hype.

Im not one of those that prefers prospects over players but im pretty sure most would trade Bennett for Jessie.

Its not like JP is looking awesome or Bennett might not still end up exceeding current lowered expectations but... Jessie "should" succeed for all the reasons Bennett so far has not.

Bigger, faster, and better shot. JP has well above average nhl tools at 18 years of age. It may take him longer to reach his potential as well for different reasons but I would be surprised if JP over his career wasn't the better player.

Both were considered consensus #3/4 in thier drafts and both are not sure fire stars. But I prefer JPs toolset to Bennetts grit.

There is at least a ten players on the Oilers that most people would trade Bennett for no questions asked.

Feel free to publicly name this mythical 10 players. I'd love to see them. I gave examples of players I wouldn't move Bennett for, and yes that includes Puljujarvi who has not proven a thing.

Unless I missed it, I have yet to see a single Oilers poster in this thread make a proposal. So again, I question what your intentions are of posting in here.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Trading for Simmonds or Stone aren't low value trades.

They are quality players that fit a need on Calgary better than Bennett does.

And Pulju had a worse rookie season than Bennett did. Why don't you wait until he make's the NHL full time haha

Never did say simmonds or stone trades were bad.. those proposals are what flames should be looking for. i was just pointing out bennetts value and situation in calgary that he should be traded.

i dont see how you can compare puljujarvi to bennett when they are in totally different situations.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Never did say simmonds or stone trades were bad.. those proposals are what flames should be looking for. i was just pointing out bennetts value and situation in calgary that he should be traded.

i dont see how you can compare puljujarvi to bennett when they are in totally different situations

How so?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Mcdavid,Drai,Talbot,Pulju,RNH,Larsson,Klefbom.. Im pretty sure if flames were offered any of those for bennett they would take that and run.

I wouldn't deal Bennett for Talbot when the Flames have such a huge need for Bennett. I feel confident that one of Parsons or Gillies will eventually be our starter (so do the Flames), so I'm not moving Bennett when we have a stop gap in Smith.

All of Gio, Dougie and Brodie are IMO better than Larsson and Klefbom. Larson is more on Hamonic's level, so again I would not make either of those deals 2. And no to RNH, he's a fine player for sure but Bennett will likely end up being the better of the two, will cost less and I much prefer his playing style.

So again that leaves McDavid and Leon, who are both upgrades and would will fill a positional need. Those deals I would make, while the Oilers would not.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ya I'd do Klefbom for sure.

Not Larsson or RNH though.

I prefer Brodie myself. So why move a future top 6 C for a guy who would play on your bottom pairing? It's a bad way to manage your assets. I'm not suggesting the Oilers should do that move, but I also wouldn't from the Flames perspective.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I prefer Brodie myself. So why move a future top 6 C for a guy who would play on your bottom pairing? It's a bad way to manage your assets. I'm not suggesting the Oilers should do that move, but I also wouldn't from the Flames perspective.

Ideally we'd find a way to move Giordano in that instance (even though today he's the best on either team right now). That top four for like 17 million for 3 years would be unbelievable.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ideally we'd find a way to move Giordano in that instance (even though today he's the best on either team right now). That top four for like 17 million for 3 years would be unbelievable.

If Janko showed he was ready to handle heavy minutes, I'd consider it. Klefbom is kinda like a poor mans Karlsson. But he would be wasted on our 3rd pairing when you compare what Bennett will likely be doing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ya I'd do Klefbom for sure.

Not Larsson or RNH though.

Well yeah of course you would. :laugh:

Unless someone replaces Chiarelli's coffee with paint thinner, though, it's never in a million years going to get offered. Klefbom's a legitimate top pairing defenceman at an absolute steal of a deal.

I know you're just saying... I'm also just saying.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Playing with Troy Brouwer is not comfortable circumstances.

Brouwer & Bennett together 44.3 CF%
Brouwer without Bennett 44.9 CF%
Bennett without Brouwer 51.7 CF%

Bennett also had an on Ice shooting percentage of 6.28 and the lowest on Ice save% on the flames. I think if he'd had normal linemates average puck luck and some non ridiculous deployment (Maybe some PP time after the team actually got it together) he'd have had a much better season. He wouldn't have lit the world on fire but he would've had good production for a 3rd liner.

I think he's horribly misused to the point where I almost want him traded so he can get a new opportunity elsewhere.

You see that's just my main wish as well. Bennett as I have told others many times will have a much more difficult time to flourish and truly develop properly with the Flames than let's say Nashville, St. Louis, maybe Anaheim as well (And of course with a lot of bottom feeder teams that doesn't need to be said, but there are top teams that could easily use Bennett). On the Flames it's almost guaranteed that Bennett has to play with scrubs. Besides even without scrubs Bennett has not done well in either seasons.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
You see that's just my main wish as well. Bennett as I have told others many times will have a much more difficult time to flourish and truly develop properly with the Flames than let's say Nashville, St. Louis, maybe Anaheim as well (And of course with a lot of bottom feeder teams that doesn't need to be said, but there are top teams that could easily use Bennett). On the Flames it's almost guaranteed that Bennett has to play with scrubs. Besides even without scrubs Bennett has not done well in either seasons.

Do flames see bennett or backlund as their #2? I don't see bennett getting a chance if he's behind backlund then jankowsi later?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I know Detroit is pretty high on Andreas Athanasiou, but they are in a rebuild mode. And can't really fit him under their cap right now.

How about Bennett, first rd and another prospect for for AA?

It would be a pretty good upgrade for Calgary.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I know Detroit is pretty high on Andreas Athanasiou, but they are in a rebuild mode. And can't really fit him under their cap right now.

How about Bennett, first rd and another prospect for for AA?

It would be a pretty good upgrade for Calgary.

If any team is in rebuild mode can't fit in a guy coming of an elc they have seious issues.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
If any team is in rebuild mode can't fit in a guy coming of an elc they have seious issues.

It's the overpayment return that Detroit might look for in helping their rebuild. Is not a fair trade, but one that helps both sides out.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Our wings should be upgraded this year and they won't have to shelter Tkachuk.

There's no reason flames can't be a three line team. Last year we didn't have the depth but if ferland can keep consistent, Tkachuk can be moved to Bennet's wing, and jankowski can fill in we can have three dangerous lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad