Value of: Sam Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Not saying that he should be traded or needs to go, and I get no contract currently means nothing. Still I'd like to see what people around the league would offer for Bennett.

Needs: A RHS top 6 winger, or has a strong potential to hit it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Things you do:
Buy Low, Sell High

Things you don't do:
Sell Low on a player an organization is otherwise extremely high on.

There's just no trade to be made. Flames see Bennett as a top 6 forward, an important center, and a core piece of a future leadership group. The stats after a rough year imply Bennett is a generic bottom six forward.

All you're going to get are lowball offers that only make sense for the team making the offer.

Daniel Sprong for Sam Bennett? Pens need 3C

I like Sprong, but not even close. Lazar / Sprong might make more sense.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think a deal around Bennett for Drouin would make sense for both teams but I could never see MTL do it.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think a deal around Bennett for Drouin would make sense for both teams but I could never see MTL do it.

As a flames fan, Drouin is worth 10x Bennett right now. We are talking potential superstar vs potential top six C. And they just gave up their best prospect for him. We also have two great lw already.

I think trading Bennett now is stupid, because he's not worth anything to other teams compared to us.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Daniel Sprong for Sam Bennett? Pens need 3C

How does Sprong project? By strong potential I meant currently not a top 6 RHS winger, but has a 80% chance to hit it even if he suffers a major drawback. If one simply has potential but his potential is hard to hit, he doesn't count. Would you add to Sprong by any chance?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Things you do:
Buy Low, Sell High

Things you don't do:
Sell Low on a player an organization is otherwise extremely high on.

All you're going to get are lowball offers that only make sense for the team making the offer.

There's a misconception with prospects taken really high that if they aren't living up to their draft potential and are sold for less than what a typical vague top 3 or top 5 pick should be worth, they are being sold low.

The Oilers were constantly in a position where their fans claimed it would not make sense to "sell low" on Yakupov for a few years straight until they eventually did sell low on him and got a lot less than what he would have returned if they moved him earlier on. Turns out, they would have been selling high on him the entire time, they just were too attached to his draft position to realize it.

This is more a broad comment on the concept of selling low on a prospect picked high in the draft rather than me directly saying I think Bennett is a bust. If the Flames feel Bennett will live up to his potential or come close to it, they should keep him. But if there are question marks and they choose to move him for something that can help them out, just because he was picked high and his value was higher closer to be drafted doesn't mean they sold low....

...Man do I ever wish the Senators "sold low" on Jared Cowen back in 2014.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
There's a misconception with prospects taken really high that if they aren't living up to their draft potential and are sold for less than what a typical vague top 3 or top 5 pick should be worth, they are being sold low.

The Oilers were constantly in a position where their fans claimed it would not make sense to "sell low" on Yakupov for a few years straight until they eventually did sell low on him and got a lot less than what he would have returned if they moved him earlier on. Turns out, they would have been selling high on him the entire time, they just were too attached to his draft position to realize it.

This is more a broad comment on the concept of selling low on a prospect picked high in the draft rather than me directly saying I think Bennett is a bust. If the Flames feel Bennett will live up to his potential or come close to it, they should keep him. But if there are question marks and they choose to move him for something that can help them out, just because he was picked high and his value was higher closer to be drafted doesn't mean they sold low....

Delete this comment please...

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I agree, the way some Flames fans want for Bennett, selling low on Bennett in the eyes of a lot of Flames fans is not getting a top 4 pick in a good draft from the looks of it... Even if Bennett reaches his potential but Monahan and Backlund both play excellent and Bennett would fetch more than Monahan or Backlund and the best he could fetch is a 60 point solid defensive RHS winger, I'd gladly trade Bennett for that player.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Threads like this prove that non fans of a team clearly look at stats far too much when appraising young players, Sam Bennett is a gem in flames fans and managements eyes. probably a future captain :)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Threads like this prove that non fans of a team clearly look at stats far too much when appraising young players, Sam Bennett is a gem in flames fans and managements eyes. probably a future captain :)

Probably is closer to proving that most people only really pay attention to their own team, so if a player hasn't done anything to grab national attention they have no choice but to look at stats to get an idea of value.

Either way most people are right. He is worth more to Calgary than he is to other teams at this time. He had one good season and one not so good, so if you are a GM or heck even a fan, it's hard to justify giving up what Calgary probably thinks he is worth.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Jets:

Bennett
Valamaki

Flames:

Vesalainen
Dano
Harkins (RHS center)
2018 2nd
There are no words in the dictionary to describe how bad that is, Bennett is worth more than all of those prospects alone. and Valamaki is certainly worth a 1st.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Probably is closer to proving that most people only really pay attention to their own team, so if a player hasn't done anything to grab national attention they have no choice but to look at stats to get an idea of value.

Either way most people are right. He is worth more to Calgary than he is to other teams at this time. He had one good season and one not so good, so if you are a GM or heck even a fan, it's hard to justify giving up what Calgary probably thinks he is worth.
But yet fans clearly think they're so smart and make junk proposals.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Id love to buy low on bennet but i think the best move is to keep him.. hes going to bea great player... really no need for flsmes to move him. Feel like theyll lose any trade involving him

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not saying that he should be traded or needs to go, and I get no contract currently means nothing. Still I'd like to see what people around the league would offer for Bennett.

Needs: A RHS top 6 winger, or has a strong potential to hit it.

Simmonds for Bennett and a 1st.

Calgary gets the best player for the next 2 years with the opportunity to re-sign him.
Philly hopefully gets the better long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad