Rumor: Sakic says Duchene offers aren't good and he may stay with Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
People are underestimating supply and demand right now. Look at these CBJ rumors. There are 3 teams in the Metro alone right now that would love to get their hands on Duchene and prevent the other 2 from getting him.

There really is no reason why Duchene shouldn't fetch the Avs something really nice right now.

A poster from the Buffalo forum said on our forum that there appears to be something possibly in the works between the Sabres and Jackets. My guess is it's Sam Reinhart, who put up more points than Duchene last year at roughly 1/6 the salary and is four years younger.

Tyler Johnson from Tampa is another viable option for the CBJ.

We'll see if this comes to pass, but it can't be said with certainty that Duchene is the only viable option out there for the Jackets. Jarmo has options and will explore them all.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A poster from the Buffalo forum said on our forum that there appears to be something possibly in the works between the Sabres and Jackets. My guess is it's Sam Reinhart, who put up more points than Duchene last year at roughly 1/6 the salary and is four years younger.

We'll see if this comes to pass, but it can't be said with certainty that Duchene is the only viable option out there for the Jackets.

If the Jackets are looking for a 1C for next year, then yes he is. Samson is incredibly intelligent and gunna be a legit 1C in his own right one day; but he's not there yet. Next season he could get the job done as their 2C, but isn't the idea for CBJ to push Wennberg down into that spot with a center trade?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Why pay way more than 2 late 1sts and a cap dump if thats what Hextal sold Schenn for?

You can argue left and right all the minor differences between the 2, but in the end their are more similarties.

Hextal just killed the market. I am a habs fan and its the same situation for Galchenyuk. Can't imagine a team would give up a top player for him.

If Sakic would take 2 1st's and Gallagher I think he would be a hab right now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah....Avs fans are going to be really disappointed. Hamonic+ would've been a good deal. Price only drops from here on out.

It sucks, but you're not getting a great haul for a guy who was supposed to be a PPG player, who hasn't come close to hitting that mark in 3 seasons now. Let's not pretend that it's only been one year of under-performing expectations.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
If the Jackets are looking for a 1C for next year, then yes he is. Samson is incredibly intelligent and gunna be a legit 1C in his own right one day; but he's not there yet. Next season he could get the job done as their 2C, but isn't the idea for CBJ to push Wennberg down into that spot with a center trade?

The goal is to find a top-6 center that will allow Dubinsky to slot down as the 3C. Wennberg will likely be with Panarin on the top line and the 2C will likely line up with Bjorkstrand and Kovalchuk (assuming the Jackets land him; Foligno or Jenner if not).

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
If I'm Duchene I'd make it clear that I want asap. This has been going on for too long and it's embarrassing at this point

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Yeah....Avs fans are going to be really disappointed. Hamonic+ would've been a good deal. Price only drops from here on out.

It sucks, but you're not getting a great haul for a guy who was supposed to be a PPG player, who hasn't come close to hitting that mark in 3 seasons now. Let's not pretend that it's only been one year of under-performing expectations.

I don't get it either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The goal is to find a top-6 center that will allow Dubinsky to slot down as the 3C. Wennberg will likely be with Panarin on the top line and the 2C will likely line up with Bjorkstrand and Kovalchuk (assuming the Jackets land him; Foligno or Jenner if not).

If that's the plan, then CBJ does have some lesser alternatives.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm enjoying your posts.

Would've liked to hear the Staple interview, but that station hasn't archived it yet. That said, it's a big deal that I missed it because I learned a LONG time ago that Staple basically knows nothing unless snow wants him to know something. Staple is like the dog that hangs by the dining room table hoping some food hits the floor. The problem is that snow eats in his bedroom with the door locked.

Basically unless snow consciously opens the door and throws food in the hallway Staple ain't going to eat. And in the meantime Staple has to try an connect dots from the last time he was fed until now to make very loose assumptions on what snow is doing/thinking/going to do.

Because Staple is a good soldier, snow usually "allows" him to break most all Isles news when it comes to player movement. He's the only beat writer the Isles have so the breaking news (and a sense of humor where he doesn't take himself too seriously) gets him a lot of cushion from Isles fans, but truth be told he really doesn't add much else (probably why you thought the "other options" portion of the show was unconvincing).

What's crazy is that I wanted snow fired a long time ago. I could give a bunch of reasons, but the bottom line is that he's BLOWN every top 5 pick he's had except for Tavares. He blew it on Strome, Dal Colle, & Reinhart (maybe the worst pick of the past 10 years). The one top 5 pick he did well with (Neiderrieter), he claimed had an attitude problem (no doubt just calling out snow using him to reach the cap floor), and he then traded for a 4th liner (Clutterbuck). I won't even get into others, but had snow just hit on 2 of those 4 picks that Isles would now have two of: Fowler, Scheifele, Hamilton, Brodin, Rielly, Forsberg, Trouba, Nylander, Ehlers, & more.

That's the kind of talent snow left on the draft floor. I mean think if snow just took Scheifele instead if Strome, and Forsberg instead of Reinhart. This thread would be non-existent and there wouldn't be a debate about Tavares staying.

And after all that I keep coming back to Sakic and how he's running things in Denver. Let's say the Isles move on totally along with Nashville and Columbus. What is Sakic going to do then? He may be in a power position because he has job security, but he could wind up setting the Avs back years if he doesn't play this Duchene deal very well, and since it's hard to believe he's done so so far, I have my doubts he's going to get this right in the end.

So the difference between 2 mid/late 1sts, a 2nd, and Dal Colle over a late 1st and a B prospect (basically absolute minimum) is going to set the Avs back years? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Yes, it would be less value and would set the Avs back, but it won't be by years.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don't know how Sakic is still around tbh. It seems like he's lost the players, the fans, everything. This team should be way better than it is so I can see how that would be incredibly frustrating.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don't know how Sakic is still around tbh. It seems like he's lost the players, the fans, everything. This team should be way better than it is so I can see how that would be incredibly frustrating.

In a nutshell: the Avs owners are just awful. The buck stops there.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
even though i dont ( and never did ) want duchene to play for long island, i would love it if he and brisson pulled a stunt like that.
sakic would learn really quick that there is a word called "compromise"
I wonder if he would? He seems to be more hubris than man.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Is anyone actually believing in the Duchene rumored asking price?

Bazal + Pulock + 1st were balked at for Duchene. Two weeks later, Pulock + Bazal will only happen with a cap dump + Barrie? :laugh: Not even Eklund contradicts himself that hard. What a clown.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Is anyone actually believing in the Duchene rumored asking price?

Bazal + Pulock + 1st were balked at for Duchene. Two weeks later, Pulock + Bazal will only happen with a cap dump + Barrie? :laugh: Not even Eklund contradicts himself that hard. What a clown.

The guy has no idea what he's talking about. That's obvious at this point. The problem is when everyone else buys into the Avalanche having gotten "amazing offers" and it's Sakic being the terrible GM.

I'm not the biggest Sakic fan but he's holding stong and I support him in his decision. If Hamonic gets a 1st and 2 2nds, Hanzal gets what he got at the deadline and Reaves lets a team move up into the first round. Well Duchene damn well better pull 2 A-level prospects and a 1st.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I've been one of the bigger Sakic critics but I'm glad he holding strong on his asking price.

seacard

Dec 25, 2007
I'm hoping the Avs can get a prospect and that stash of 3-4 mid-to-late firsts that the Islanders have. I bet, if all goes well, there is a chance -- small chance, but still a chance -- that one of those mid-to-late firsts will turn out, in five years, to be half as good as Duchene. I know the odds are low looking at the average late first rounder, but we can hope.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I've been one of the bigger Sakic critics but I'm glad he holding strong on his asking price.

That's nice. One of these two scenarios play out:
A) Duchene walks for nothing.
B) Avs don't get even close to the haul they could've got.

Sakic likely gets fired if they miss the playoffs again. Avs look as though they've become irrelevant in the Denver sports scene. Owners won't put up with this forever.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Sakic likely gets fired if they miss the playoffs again. Avs look as though they've become irrelevant in the Denver sports scene. Owners won't put up with this forever.

You realize he has two years left? So basically 2 deadlines + 1 offseason where you can deal him before he walks for nothing?

Duchene gets you a 1st+ as a rental. So if the best offer right now is 2 1sts+ the difference is not that great. Betting that extra mid-late 1st on him improving his value is not a terrible idea in that case.

You don't seem to know much about the Avs or Denver in general.

Avs are owned by Kroenke who also owns the Nuggets and an MLS team in Denver and more. The owners right now don't give a damn about the Avs as long as they are not losing them money. Sakic is basically under 0 pressure.
The worst thing that can happen to him if he keeps failing is getting promoted away to a position where he can not do much harm. 0 chance he gets fired outright at this point.

Also Kroenkes are not known for firing inept executives all that quickly anyways.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So the difference between 2 mid/late 1sts, a 2nd, and Dal Colle over a late 1st and a B prospect (basically absolute minimum) is going to set the Avs back years? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Yes, it would be less value and would set the Avs back, but it won't be by years.

Depends on how strong the drafts are. As strong as the 2018 class is supposed to be, it could be years. Surely it's just speculation, I'm not arguing against you. Just saying that when you have a draft like this upcoming one, you really need to be like a pig at a trough and eat as many picks as you can to prepare for it (if you are in a rebuild).

With that said, I realize fans on both sides are in a hurry, but I still don't see any definitive proof on why Sakic needs to rush this. Sure, at some point he might see teams that were inquiring picking up pieces and going out on Duchene, but I imagine even by October 1st he'll still have several suitors and nice offers on the table. I don't think he needs to rush anything.

This is coming from an Isles fan. Sure, I'd like to land Duchene. But I think the packages offered have already been good enough and don't want to pay much more. I think Garth will move on eventually. He's a pretty stubborn guy. At this point I don't think Garth is in a hurry either. He's come out of the ED looking capable, now he's got the rest of the offseason to tinker with moves if he feels so inclined.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

A) He's under contract for 2 more seasons. There will be plenty of opportunities to trade him if need be.
B) That's possible but as I've already said there will be plenty of opportunities to trade him so I'm not worried about that. There will always be teams looking for a top 6 center.
C) Sakic waits it out and gets his asking price.

Sakic won't get fired. He'll quit or just take on a different role in the organisation. If anything the owners probably want to ensure the Avs get a piece that is ready to step in instead of draft picks, so they are probably encouraging the hold out.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
that's just 100% spot on. only now do we realize how so so deeply dumb these man actually were. its embarassing.

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence. When gretzky got fired someone had a decent article saying how it's hard for guys like him to think the game like other players, and how he took it for granted that they don't have the vision or intuition he had.

It could just be a matter of Sakic not understanding these guys. Why don't they must play better, why don't they have the same investment in the franchise that I have?

It must be new territory when you used to be able to go out onto the ice and almost will results into reality and now they need their players and other gms to cooperate to get these outcomes.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Why pay way more than 2 late 1sts and a cap dump if thats what Hextal sold Schenn for?

You can argue left and right all the minor differences between the 2, but in the end their are more similarties.

Hextal just killed the market. I am a habs fan and its the same situation for Galchenyuk. Can't imagine a team would give up a top player for him.

If Sakic would take 2 1st's and Gallagher I think he would be a hab right now.

What?? Habs would/should not give Gall and 2 x first's for Duchene...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sakic's handling of the O'Reilly trade was a preview of how incompetent of a GM he is. Absolutely terrible and underqualified for the position.

? He got what he wanted for ROR when everyone was screaming about how no one would be that much for someone a year away from UFA; especially someone as over-rated as ROR...remember this was before people out east knew how good ROR was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad