Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I thought Gus and Ristolainen were pretty similar players outside of size.

It's just not a need, or really an overwhelming desire to add yet another defensemen. Sorry. We're looking more at someone like Dylan Strome, who in no sense is an ask from this Sabres fan. But, a centermen with upside, and not a cap dump like Turris. To be honest from this Sabres fan, and someone we've talked a lot on our board about. We'd be more interested in Bonino, in something non Ristolainen.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
It's just not a need, or really an overwhelming desire to add yet another defensemen. Sorry. We're looking more at someone like Dylan Strome, who in no sense is an ask from this Sabres fan. But, a centermen with upside, and not a cap dump like Turris. To be honest from this Sabres fan, and someone we've talked a lot on our board about. We'd be more interested in Bonino, in something non Ristolainen.
I thought a smooth skating LHD was a need though?

Outside of Dahlin, that LHD looks a little bleak.

I was coming in here to offer Bjugstad (4.1m for 2 years, middle 6 center/RW) and Pettersson (RFA, 2nd/3rd pairing LHD) for Ristolainen.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What are Buffalo's needs?

Doesn't seem to be cap space.
They have enough D, hence trading Risto.
Just signed Johanson and traded for Vesey.
About $21m in cap coming off next summer.

Center?
Futures?

Zucker is a no-go? Equal salary +1 year over Risto. On the block.

Minnisota isn't exactly all-star D 1-6.

Seems like a shuffle the deck hockey move for both teams.

#2C center with term
RW

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

I was coming in here to offer Bjugstad (4.1m for 2 years, middle 6 center/RW) and Pettersson (RFA, 2nd/3rd pairing LHD) for Ristolainen.

Again no thanks. Bjugstad is a major pass from me. He's a third line center at best. In addition, sure I like Pettersson, but this isn't that attractive a package, at least aesthetically it makes sense piece wise. But, pass.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

We can't afford to give up Pettersson. He's the only player who would make acquiring Ristolainen palatable because he could serve as a steady defensive partner for him. You can't play JJ or Riikola opposite Ristolainen, that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Risto is a good player but does have issues in his game: weak defensive zone coverage, poor stick work (stick checking), gets beat by quick puck movement (especially back door and in the slot).

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Risto is a good player but does have issues in his game: weak defensive zone coverage, poor stick work (stick checking), gets beat by quick puck movement (especially back door and in the slot).

I think what you mean is Risto does some good things but as a whole he's a flawed player. I don't see how you can say he's good and then list that he basically sucks at the core of what being a defenseman entails.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I think what you mean is Risto does some good things but as a whole he's a flawed player. I don't see how you can say he's good and then list that he basically sucks at the core of what being a defenseman entails.

Agreed. His good qualities are well known (big smooth skating defenceman with a nice shot) while some of his deficiencies get overlooked, just wanted to point that out.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

I take it that you have not watched a lot of Pilut. He shored up a lot of concerns for LHD.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There’s two players on Buffalo that are untouchable. I never said he wasn’t a tradable asset. He is a fan favorite in Buffalo though. It’s completely your opinion the new guys are better suited. I think Risto thrives in Buffalo with the help they brought in. Trading him for scraps will be a deep regret in years to come.

You're right, Risto is great. Please keep him.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Again, why would Buffalo want to trade Risto for a long term second center... People overreact to Mittelstadt not immediately succeeding, he's still an extremely promising young player. Make no mistake, Mittelstadt is the long term play at 2C or even Cozens. Tuch would be a perfect add to our forwards and Vegas already has Marchessault and Stone at RW. Other most likely pipe dream players I'd love for Risto are Tom Wilson or Josh Andersen.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Again, why would Buffalo want to trade Risto for a long term second center... People overreact to Mittelstadt not immediately succeeding, he's still an extremely promising young player. Make no mistake, Mittelstadt is the long term play at 2C or even Cozens. Tuch would be a perfect add to our forwards and Vegas already has Marchessault and Stone at RW.

Because they don't have one yet. And the more bites you have at the apple, the better your chances of finding one. You can always move a center to wing.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Because they don't have one yet. And the more bites you have at the apple, the better your chances of finding one. You can always move a center to wing.
Sure, I suppose I have more faith/patience in Mittelstadt developing into that soon than most people. Especially after losing O'Reilly obviously. I'd have no issue with Mitts at 2c if Skinner and Tuch are his wingers. Another factor is I'd much rather get a young impact winger like Tuch than a guy like Turris or Little, position be damned. RW is still a big need.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2011
Newcastle, England.
As a sabres fan I really like Risto. With our newly acquired RHD depth I’m willing to trade him to fix other holes in the roster (C). Will cheer for him wherever he goes but he has value and we don’t “need” him as much now.

Reactions: Kublakhan

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Risto + 2 decent (but not top) prospects for Eakin + Tuch?

I'd make that deal from the Sabres POV & I'm very much in the 'don't trade Risto' camp. In fact it's just about the only proposal here that I would make.

Although the clear hole on the roster is a two way centre I see Eakin & especially Tuch as fits. Tuch has a great contract too would be a long term complimentary piece while Eakin could help insulate Mittlestadt for at least a year.

With the recent RHD acquisitions the Sabres can trade Risto & still have a solid D corps... I'm kinda resigned to moving him now & the dream Risto+ for Horvat type deal just ain't gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad