Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
No, I asked you for a realistic example. I find it absolutely ridiculous that you are shooting down others for discussing trading Risto for RW'ers, but didn't put in the time to even think of viable trades for 2C.
I'm not "shooting down" anyone, I said Sabres proposals should not waste time with Botterill utilizing his primary trade chip that does not address the 2c situation.

I tell ya what, let's book mark this conversation, and return to it in the future, if a deal presents itself with Risto involved, you'll see what I mean at that time. Or, maybe you'll choose to ignore it, and that's fine to. But I'll book mark it in any event.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'm not "shooting down" anyone, I said Sabres proposals should not waste time with Botterill utilizing his primary trade chip that does not address the 2c situation.

I tell ya what, let's book mark this conversation, and return to it in the future, if a deal presents itself with Risto involved, you'll see what I mean at that time. Or, maybe you'll choose to ignore it, and that's fine to. But I'll book mark it in any event.

Sure, book mark it. If Risto gets traded for RNH, you can say I'm wrong.

Nov 24, 2006
That is a lot of talent moving out, do they have RD in the system ready to move up? I think Risto is a good fit in Winnipeg. Buff isnt going to be around forever and Trouba moving on leaves a hole. Theres a trade to be made for Risto, but it's going to hurt for both teams.
They’ve got some question marks - Poolman, Niku, Stanley.

Buffalo fans seem to hate Ristolainen. Based on that, I don’t know if he’s the answer for the Jets.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
for the price sabres fans are looking for i am glad the canucks moved on and signed myers.

actually, canucks will pause long enough to offer sutter and tanev and otherwise wish the sabres well.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
As an outside fan, even though they have Dumba, I really think Risto to the Wild makes a lot of sense. I could see something around Zucker+.

Reactions: Fearnot

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
They’ve got some question marks - Poolman, Niku, Stanley.

Buffalo fans seem to hate Ristolainen. Based on that, I don’t know if he’s the answer for the Jets.

Buffalo fans dont hate him, at least not a lot. It's mostly the analytics people who have a problem with him, buffalo fans who watch him play see that bad analytics are a byproduct of bad coaching and systems that misused him year after year. He was never a shutdown 1D, but every year we heard management say all the right things about adjusting his usage, and every season we see him at the top of the league in TOI. Its insanity.

The same people saying Risto needs to go are the people who said ROR needed to be moved. It comes from our piss poor media guys who do anything for clicks and dont care about hockey. The same guy bashing Eichel for leadership ability and ROR for being a cancer was not long ago saying that Foligno was a top line player and future captain of the team. It's a joke, but people run with the speculation. Risto isnt a bad hockey player, but hes not the type of player the Sabres have wanted him to be. Now that we have that player in Dahlin and new coaching I hope we give him a chance to play the roll he was meant to, I think if they run him as a 19 minute a night, second pairing, offensive defenseman who likes to play physical, his numbers would pull out of the nosedive and people will praise his game.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It doesn't address the main issue on the roster, and you'd be moving the only component that Botterill has built up a back stop for foolishly for a winger.

Center is the goal with Risto, always has been. Winger won't cut it.

The core of the trade of Eakin snd Tuch for Risto is something that coukd be worked around.

I agree buffalo needs to move some of their 23 man roster like include Girgrnsons instead of Pekar

Reactions: Yatzhee

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo fans should know better.
Risto won't be moved for winger support.
If Risto is moved, it'll be for a 2c candidate, not a top 6 winger.
All of these fantasy proposals for guys like Tuch and Mantha both wingers, or Cirelli, an unproven center, are just a waste of time. Botterill isn't about to move his prime trade chip only to leave that 2c spot unaddressed just shows how "fan love" for this players stats or that players stats is not the way to clearly think the problem the Sabres have.
And if you think Picks and prospects will get you there, think again. Botterill isn't going to move serious picks (1st rdr's) until he's dead sure the 2c problem has been addressed. Now, he may combine Risto and a 1st, if the 2c candidate is worthy of the offer, but to ignore the obvious on this is just foolishness, imho.

In short, when it comes to Risto, start focusing on 2c deals, and nothing else.

Buffalo can move Risto for a strong top6 winger and a 3C. Mitts can play 2C if he is playing with good players. Johansson can play Center.

Reactions: Heretic

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The same people saying Risto needs to go are the people who said ROR needed to be moved. It comes from our piss poor media guys who do anything for clicks and dont care about hockey. The same guy bashing Eichel for leadership ability and ROR for being a cancer was not long ago saying that Foligno was a top line player and future captain of the team. It's a joke, but people run with the speculation. Risto isnt a bad hockey player, but hes not the type of player the Sabres have wanted him to be. Now that we have that player in Dahlin and new coaching I hope we give him a chance to play the roll he was meant to, I think if they run him as a 19 minute a night, second pairing, offensive defenseman who likes to play physical, his numbers would pull out of the nosedive and people will praise his game.

Don’t throw everyone under the bus...

I get why ROR was traded. There was an issue in the locker room. Botts failed to get a 2C Last year. A 3 team trade or buffalo took ehat St. Louis sent and got a 2C would have been better. Even then you still had coaching issues.

I didn’t day for Risto to get traded but I get it could happen. If I move him I want something goos from it. But I’m notfocuses on a 2C as much as I’d prefer to get a forward who was 24 or under.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I look at Risto and I think either
1. He's a legit top pairing D on a poor team so his +/- is exaggerated
2. He's always out of positing throwing hits or trying to ignite offense...so much so that he is actually abandoning his defensive responsibilities... he's a second pairing Dman.

not sure which of those two sentences are correct...

It's more possibly more option 3: He's over-used and has a host of fatigue-based bad habits in trying zone to handle the puck, combined with a system under Phil that was not read-and-react but instead required thought. He plays like a player trying to conserve energy most of the time, which means the things in item 2 are not what he's doing. He's actually shown some ability to forecheck when he pinches, forcing the puck low and winning possession battles to make plays or take the puck to the net from below the dots.... but he almost never does that. Similarly in his own zone, he tries to muscle up on his check sometimes but mostly, he's trying to force the puck off the glass and out without looking for better options. He has layers of bad habits in his own zone that I don't know if anyone can ever fully undo.

In the meantime, he can still run a PP and will throw the occasional big hit and generally need a LHD partner who can think their way out of the zone for both of them.

Reactions: Shootica

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Don’t throw everyone under the bus...

I get why ROR was traded. There was an issue in the locker room. Botts failed to get a 2C Last year. A 3 team trade or buffalo took ehat St. Louis sent and got a 2C would have been better. Even then you still had coaching issues.

I didn’t day for Risto to get traded but I get it could happen. If I move him I want something goos from it. But I’m notfocuses on a 2C as much as I’d prefer to get a forward who was 24 or under.

I get it if he is moved, I dont want it, but Eichel could be moved if the price is right. Nothing from Botts this offseason has shown hes going to give him away cheap, yet it seems like there are some who think he is getting moved for whatever scraps are available because he has a bad +/-.

Hes not a bad player at all and theres more teams around the league who would love to have him than not. I'd rather put him in as a winger than trade him for one. The only thing that makes sense is a trade for a legit 2c, and even that gives me pause, but anyone who thinks they can get him without giving up someone that makes you second guess your GM is likely wrong. He will be an expensive addition if hes traded, otherwise Botterill will lose a lot of the good faith hes built this offseason.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo can move Risto for a strong top6 winger and a 3C. Mitts can play 2C if he is playing with good players. Johansson can play Center.
You missed the message the owner gave. The time to start winning is now. That message, combined with the shoring up of the RHD position should have Sabres faithful I've watched post here for years, such as yourself Djp, reading red flags all day long.
Risto is going to go for a 2C, Botterill and company aren't going to let that go unaddressed. I'm just saying, with that ole grain of salt of course, that plan of action is already well underway. The question is, when the shoe drops is all.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
As an outside fan, even though they have Dumba, I really think Risto to the Wild makes a lot of sense. I could see something around Zucker+.

risto would be there 3rd right d by a large margin. spurg and dumba are miles better. about the last team to want him

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Anybody know how connected this guy is?
There've been completely different takes on this, especially after Krueger saying he'd like to work with him and see what they've got. 40+ point RHDmen don't grow on trees.

He's connected. He has broken a ton of Jets signings

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They could probably get Lucic and Puljujarvi for him. They seem to be readily available for just about any thing. You might get a decent pick thrown in the mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad