Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sure, I suppose I have more faith/patience in Mittelstadt developing into that soon than most people. Especially after losing O'Reilly obviously. I'd have no issue with Mitts at 2c if Skinner and Tuch are his wingers. Another factor is I'd much rather get a young impact winger like Tuch than a guy like Turris or Little, position be damned. RW is still a big need.

But can Ristolainen return a”young impact winger”?

If young balanced two way top 4 D generally can return a young impact winger (top 6). I guess it partly depends on demand and if the buyer believes Ristolainen can be/is a balanced two way top 4 D.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
But can Ristolainen return a”young impact winger”?

If young balanced two way top 4 D generally can return a young impact winger (top 6). I guess it partly depends on demand and if the buyer believes Ristolainen can be/is a balanced two way top 4 D.

Hes not a balanced 2way defenseman, that ship has sailed. Hes a middle pairing offensive defenseman with size and grit that can fill in on the top pair when needed, he shouldn't be used exclusively as a top pairing guy though.

He has more offensive ability then he has shown in recent years, but it's been beaten out of him through bad coaching and bad partners. They had him with Gorges and every time he pinched they got caught, so he stopped pinching and started playing on his heels, always expecting to be caught up ice and needing to get back because his partners couldnt skate. Theres been flashes of his offensive game over the years, mostly when the team is down or the stretches where everyone said screw the system and played reactionary hockey. Hes good down low, very good, and he can honestly take over a game when given the chance. Its beyond infuriating what bad coaches have turned him into, if it weren't for that none of these trade Risto threads would be going anywhere. He very much could have a Chara like turn around with good coaching and a proper partner.

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
To Buffalo: Danault
To Montreal: Ristolainen

Buffalo needs 2C, Danault is excellent both ends of the ice. Montreal needs help with their power play(second worst in NHL) and they could also use more size in their line up. Ristolainen can play 5vs5 in third pairing behind Weber and Petry. Montreal is not happy to lose their most reliable center (I think he was 1C for Montreal last season) but they got so many centers coming up they can afford it.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
To Buffalo: Danault
To Montreal: Ristolainen

Buffalo needs 2C, Danault is excellent both ends of the ice. Montreal needs help with their power play(second worst in NHL) and they could also use more size in their line up. Ristolainen can play 5vs5 in third pairing behind Weber and Petry. Montreal is not happy to lose their most reliable center (I think he was 1C for Montreal last season) but they got so many centers coming up they can afford it.

5,4 millions for a RD that would play on the third pair doesn't sound like a great idea.

Ristolainen - Chiarot would be by far the most expensive 3rd pairing in the NHL.

If I'm Montreal I pass.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Just read an article from the Hockey News on trading Risto...the 3 potential destinations at least in this article were...
Edmonton for Nugent-Hopkins
Winnipeg for Roslovic + or Ehlers
Tampa Bay for Tyler Johnson

masasa

Oct 10, 2016
5,4 millions for a RD that would play on the third pair doesn't sound like a great idea.

Ristolainen - Chiarot would be by far the most expensive 3rd pairing in the NHL.

If I'm Montreal I pass.

Ristolainen is almost 10 years younger than Weber, he is not going to be 3rd pairing forever. Montreal has Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Domi, Suzuki, Cousins, Peca, Thompson as their C depth even without Danault.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just read an article from the Hockey News on trading Risto...the 3 potential destinations at least in this article were...
Edmonton for Nugent-Hopkins
Winnipeg for Roslovic + or Ehlers
Tampa Bay for Tyler Johnson
Those writers need to read up on things called No trade clauses. The chance of Johnson accepting a trade to Buffalo is non-existent. Who in their right mind would trade Tampa's weather for Buffalo, Tampa's cup chances for Buffalo and the tax hit by trading Tampa for Buffalo.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Those writers need to read up on things called No trade clauses. The chance of Johnson accepting a trade to Buffalo is non-existent. Who in their right mind would trade Tampa's weather for Buffalo, Tampa's cup chances for Buffalo and the tax hit by trading Tampa for Buffalo.
Yeah, I read that about Johnson somewhere in this thread. I think Risto gets moved though.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
And herein lay the problem for Tampa and the core reason why they haven't signed their Rfa's yet.
Those NTC's are hurting Tampa heavily right now, and as what you eluded to, who in that group of NTC's is going to waive to go elsewhere? None of them.

Tampa is in trouble, and looking at those key NTC contracts, they will be for another couple years.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
As a Sabres’ fan, what would your reaction and mood be if it was announced that Ristolainen was traded for Nugent-Hopkins in a 1 for 1 deal?

As an Oilers’fan, what would your reaction and mood be if it was announced that Nugent-Hopkins was traded for Ristolainen in a 1 for 1 deal?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And herein lay the problem for Tampa and the core reason why they haven't signed their Rfa's yet.
Those NTC's are hurting Tampa heavily right now, and as what you eluded to, who in that group of NTC's is going to waive to go elsewhere? None of them.

Tampa is in trouble, and looking at those key NTC contracts, they will be for another couple years.
Well, yeah. But, my main point was it is a foolish statement by the author of that article. The NTC's are part of the reason people re-sign at a discount because unless they are being traded to the Panthers or Dallas, they likely take a sizable tax-hit.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As a Sabres’ fan, what would your reaction and mood be if it was announced that Ristolainen was traded for Nugent-Hopkins in a 1 for 1 deal?

As an Oilers’fan, what would your reaction and mood be if it was announced that Nugent-Hopkins was traded for Ristolainen in a 1 for 1 deal?

Not happening. Risto is worth more than RNH. I could see a 3 for 3 swap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Well, yeah. But, my main point was it is a foolish statement by the author of that article. The NTC's are part of the reason people re-sign at a discount because unless they are being traded to the Panthers or Dallas, they likely take a sizable tax-hit.

I dont think that matters much.

In states with no income tax have higher properry and sales taxes.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He’d easily be the best D in Winny.

Take that to the main boards and see who thinks Risto is better then Morrissey.
See who thinks he’s better then Buff.

Nice try.

Morrissey is one of the best 2 way young D in the league. Buff is Buff.
I’ve seen people compare Risto and Buff to each other style was for roving.

But Buff is great at the PK and dominant at getting the puck out of his own end and transitioning to O.

Can’t say I’ve read a lot of good things about Risto’s defensive game and all the underlying metrics come back very poorly in those regards for him.

Buff used to get overplayed on a bad team and rushed the puck and pinched too much. Even then he still had decent to good defensive zone metrics overall.

Most people point to Risto being played out of position and leaned on too much with bad partners. Buff carried Chiarot and Morrow around to respectability the last few years and made them better. Risto doesn’t make his partners better.

I’ll assume Risto would be the 3rd best d on the Jets because we have some unknowns and less experienced players joining the team. But we don’t really have room for his cap and there should be no interest in moving Ehlers for him.

The price that would make sense for the Jets shouldn’t work for the Sabres so best to find different dance partners.

As much as the Jets need a top 4 D now is not the time to make that move and Risto is certainly not the player to double down on at this time

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I dont think that matters much.

In states with no income tax have higher properry and sales taxes.
It depends on your income. For high net-worth indviduals, it absolutely is a significant tax hit that isn't balanced out by sales-tax and property-tax. Now, it leads to lesser services, but considering they live in gated communities, send their kids to private schools and have high-end health insurance they don't reap the benefits of higher-tax states. Especially when you factor in that if you are earning a significant amount of money you are likely to invest towards retirement/post-playing career, so states that have minimal capital gains are also preferable.

Reactions: Exit Dose

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Why would Jeff Skinner veto a trade last year at the draft to the Los Angeles Kings? Why would he only approve a trade to Buffalo? Why voluntarily accept a move from nice warm North Carolina to come to Buffalo, NY? Why would a star player turn down the lights and glamor of Los Angeles, California to come to dreary depressing Buffalo?

Posts like yours assume far too much about every single players psyche, night and family life. What if someone would prefer to be a big fish in a small pond then a small fish in a big pond?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It depends on your income. For high net-worth indviduals, it absolutely is a significant tax hit that isn't balanced out by sales-tax and property-tax. Now, it leads to lesser services, but considering they live in gated communities, send their kids to private schools and have high-end health insurance they don't reap the benefits of higher-tax states. Especially when you factor in that if you are earning a significant amount of money you are likely to invest towards retirement/post-playing career, so states that have minimal capital gains are also preferable.

You can put retirement funds into pretax accounts thus you aren’t getting taxed now but later.

I don’t know what Canada tax rules are on foreign income earned if someone who lives there more or less than half the time.

Also players pay taxes where they work so returns are complex.

In the scope it’s not that much of a difference.

The benefit really is to folks on low income earners or active duty military would have more takehome pay.

In financial straightssome no income tax ststes have talked of a wealth tax on folks making $1M or more.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why would Jeff Skinner veto a trade last year at the draft to the Los Angeles Kings? Why would he only approve a trade to Buffalo? Why voluntarily accept a move from nice warm North Carolina to come to Buffalo, NY? Why would a star player turn down the lights and glamor of Los Angeles, California to come to dreary depressing Buffalo?

Posts like yours assume far too much about every single players psyche, night and family life. What if someone would prefer to be a big fish in a small pond then a small fish in a big pond?
Skinner forced his way to us because he wanted to be as close to his hometown of Toronto as possible and because going to the Leafs was in fact impossible going to a team 90 miles away was the only way he'd be close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad