Ryan Murray = 2nd pairing dman?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I found a video of the time Foligno, who has the back of all of his teammates all of the time, got elbowed and concussed and Big tough Ryan went up to the guy and probably said, "Don't do that again. That was mean." And then he looked down like a scared little boy.

He's gutless.

Blue Jackets' Foligno on IR after headshot from Malone - Sportsnet.ca
I don't know...the one where he's the only one to go up to Malone. I don't see the same thing in the video you do and pulling one example (even if it were remotely how you describe) isn't necessarily representative of a player. I'll just say I disagree with you on this one.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Another nearly mistake free game by Murray, and another 2 points for the CBJ with him in the lineup.

Played the whole game. 19+ min.

But sorry, continue with the 'bash Murray' thread...

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Another nearly mistake free game by Murray, and another 2 points for the CBJ with him in the lineup.

I think the defense looks steadier and quicker with Murray in the lineup. If he stays healthy, trading Jack Johnson would not be bad at all.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I can't tell if it's Murray or Dubinsky who won it for us.

All jokes aside, our defense is much more calm with Murray. He seemed uneasy on the bench, like his back was flaring up. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I can't tell if it's Murray or Dubinsky who won it for us.

All jokes aside, our defense is much more calm with Murray. He seemed uneasy on the bench, like his back was flaring up. Hopefully that isn't the case.

With talk of illness, maybe Murray had a case of the squirrlies. That will make you uneasy when you have all that equipment on. I didn’t see post-game, was there talk of an injury?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
hey jackets fans. Just had a question about Ryan Murray. Has he planned out as you had all hoped when he was a second overall pick??
I know he does not bring a ton of offense but is he a solid top four guy?
Thanks

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe I've just been paying more attention lately to Murray, but I think he has one of the best breakout passes on the D. He takes a few strides out from behind the net and then has no problem putting a laser pass tape to tape pretty much anywhere on the ice.

Reactions: Viqsi and Kevo22363

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
hey jackets fans. Just had a question about Ryan Murray. Has he planned out as you had all hoped when he was a second overall pick??
I know he does not bring a ton of offense but is he a solid top four guy?
Thanks

I don't think anyone knew what to expect from any player out of that draft, since all of the top players were injured during their draft years. Murray was never a goal scorer even in junior.

He's undoubtedly a top-four guy, even a top-two guy, who's been shuffled further down the pairings because he can play with anyone and not miss a step. It's not great for him, but it's great for whoever he's with. Since coming back into the lineup, he's played on his off-side with Jack Johnson. Johnson has had a miserable year, and in three games with Murray he looks like he's already rebounded to his normal form. Before that, Murray was paired with any of the various rookies or other young defensemen to help them into the lineup.

In his own zone, he takes away nearly his entire half of the ice at even strength, he kills penalties, and he's out there when there's a lead with a minute to go. There won't be any real excitement when he's out there, but there aren't really going to be any plays that make you clutch your chest either.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think anyone knew what to expect from any player out of that draft, since all of the top players were injured during their draft years. Murray was never a goal scorer even in junior.

He's undoubtedly a top-four guy, even a top-two guy, who's been shuffled further down the pairings because he can play with anyone and not miss a step. It's not great for him, but it's great for whoever he's with. Since coming back into the lineup, he's played on his off-side with Jack Johnson. Johnson has had a miserable year, and in three games with Murray he looks like he's already rebounded to his normal form. Before that, Murray was paired with any of the various rookies or other young defensemen to help them into the lineup.

In his own zone, he takes away nearly his entire half of the ice at even strength, he kills penalties, and he's out there when there's a lead with a minute to go. There won't be any real excitement when he's out there, but there aren't really going to be any plays that make you clutch your chest either.
IIRC the big selling point on Murray out of the draft was that he was NHL ready, he wasnt going to need 2-3 years of development before he could be a 16+ min/game Dman. Which was the case, he just ended up missing the same amount of time because of injuries, not development.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
For all of the debate about him, I think we will all agree that when he is in the lineup this team is far better. He's quietly one of the most consistent players we have, when healthy.

Whether you like him or not, he is a solid NHL player. Maybe doesn't merit being picked second overall, but the guys that went first and third haven't faired much better.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
For all of the debate about him, I think we will all agree that when he is in the lineup this team is far better. He's quietly one of the most consistent players we have, when healthy.

Whether you like him or not, he is a solid NHL player. Maybe doesn't merit being picked second overall, but the guys that went first and third haven't faired much better.
I still wonder what we could have looked like with a Johansen/Galchenyuk 1-2 punch.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I still wonder what we could have looked like with a Johansen/Galchenyuk 1-2 punch.

Do you remember what our defensive unit looked like then? And what was in the pipeline?? It was a blessing in disguise that we lost the draft lottery that year

Defensemen on the 2011-2012 roster:

zMnqGaq.png

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The player we should have picked went 12th overall.

Hindsight is 20/20... and I was and still am a big Murray supporter. I watched him heavily that year and never saw anything but a top-2 defenseman. Injuries can be a bitch...

Meanwhile, how good would Filip Forsberg look in our lineup.

Again, hindsight...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Hindsight is 20/20... and I was and still am a big Murray supporter. I watched him heavily that year and never saw anything but a top-2 defenseman. Injuries can be a *****...

Again, hindsight...

I’d prefer Trouba or Lindholm over Forsberg, but like you mentioned, hindsight.

I am content with Ryan Murray, though

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I suppose we'd have had better odds of turning Galchenyuk into a NHL center... :dunno:

* * *​

Hindsight is 20/20... and I was and still am a big Murray supporter. I watched him heavily that year and never saw anything but a top-2 defenseman. Injuries can be a *****...

Again, hindsight...
I was fully expecting FF to be the pick. @Mayor Bee OTOH correctly called it on draft day:

[pic removed per request, but he's wearing a Murray #27 sweater]

(Everett sweater, IIRC. And yes, MB and his wife had a spare ticket to the Draft such that I got to join them that year. Was awesome, even if I did find myself on I-70 at 2am because I couldn't afford a hotel. :D Was just going through old photos a day or two ago and found this one...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sore Loser

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Again, hindsight...

I very clearly remember it being reported in December 2011 that Howson was "enamored" with Filip Forsberg and that he might go in the top three if that's where this team ended up picking. And I also very clearly remember there being a meltdown on this board, blasting him for being an idiot for doing something so stupid as even considering that.

I also really wish that a bunch of the old threads hadn't been purged completely.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I very clearly remember it being reported in December 2011 that Howson was "enamored" with Filip Forsberg and that he might go in the top three if that's where this team ended up picking. And I also very clearly remember there being a meltdown on this board, blasting him for being an idiot for doing something so stupid as even considering that.

I also really wish that a bunch of the old threads hadn't been purged completely.
Well, that was when everyone was convinced 1) we were picking #1 overall and 2) Yakupov was going to be a badass. :)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I suppose we'd have had better odds of turning Galchenyuk into a NHL center... :dunno:

* * *​

I was fully expecting FF to be the pick. @Mayor Bee OTOH correctly called it on draft day:

[pic removed per request, but he's wearing a Murray #27 sweater]

(Everett sweater, IIRC. And yes, MB and his wife had a spare ticket to the Draft such that I got to join them that year. Was awesome, even if I did find myself on I-70 at 2am because I couldn't afford a hotel. :D Was just going through old photos a day or two ago and found this one...)

The funny thing is that when I got rid of that jersey, I wondered whether I'd ever find another one. Then I went back and was looking at other pictures from that draft, and I saw at least three or four other people who had them and were either wearing a CBJ hat or were with someone wearing a CBJ shirt. And I have no clue who any of those people are, and none of those jerseys has ever surfaced.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I also recall those threads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad