Ryan Murray = 2nd pairing dman?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You may be under that opinion , but it’s far from absurd . Heart is gutting it out when your not 100 percent , for your team. It’s doing things that may be uncomfortable , but by you doing those things it makes the team better , like going into contested areas and trying to score , or shooting the puck for that matter . I watch Wennberg game after game , skate around like he has no cares in the world , refuses to shoot the puck , even though he’s been called out in the media , multiple times by his coach . After he’s embarrassed , and dominated by Wild Bill in Vegas , I watch him poke fun with Wild Bill on instagram.So you may be under the opinion , my observations are absurd , but you know the saying , if the shoe fits ..
Yes. I absolutely assert that that is an absurd observation. Wennberg and Murray both regularly go into contested areas, fight for the puck, block shots, take and give hits to make plays, and so on and so forth. All the time. (Fun fact: Wennberg has more hits than Panarin and Atkinson, and blocks as many shots per game as Dubinsky and Foligno. Murray's the team leader in blocked shots per game.) Wennberg's been making more and more shot attempts lately as well - they don't always show up as SOGs because, y'know, blocked shots don't count as SOGs.

Suggesting that they "lack heart" and are "not gutting it out" is confirmation bias and selection bias run rampant. It is absolutely untrue, and hiding behind "that's just my opinion" is not a valid excuse. It is a lie.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The guy whose face got cut in half and still played until he literally couldn't see? Yeah, guy has no heart :sarcasm:
No the guy you all praise as ELITE but continually plays lazy D and never gives 100 percent of his full effort. Watch him turn the puck over and he will NEVER backcheck to try and save a goal. If we are going to label him as a future star then he needs to be held to a much higher standard. He can give much more than what he does.

It frustrates me that you would all crucify Johansen but Z gets a free pass.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No the guy you all praise as ELITE but continually plays lazy D and never gives 100 percent of his full effort. Watch him turn the puck over and he will NEVER backcheck to try and save a goal. If we are going to label him as a future star then he needs to be held to a much higher standard. He can give much more than what he does.

Z either isn't in top shape or he dogs it at times.

It's one or the other.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Torts and Z have both said he is playing with an unspecified injury that may require corrective action in the off-season. Unlike Murray, Z is playing thru an injury.

Reactions: The Bread Man

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Torts and Z have both said he is playing with an unspecified injury that may require corrective action in the off-season. Unlike Murray, Z is playing thru an injury.

If Murray could physically had played through his injury, I’m sure he would have. That is completely unfair to him to assume otherwise. Sheesh.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Which I guess gives him an "out" for the times he's not appearing to give 100%.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I argue that any player would have been injured by the things which have injured Murray (hits to his shoulder, skate stuck in the boards, Ryan Johansen falling on him). I also argue that Murray isn't putting himself in vulnerable situations any more than the average player does.

Essentially, my argument is that Murray has suffered an unfortunate set of circumstances any of which would have the same effect on other players.
Can't agree with that. When you are this far off from the average, there absolutely has to be something going on. If it's not genetics (which it could be as there's more invisible things you have to account for like the strain factor etc.), then it's the skill of properly balancing making correct plays vs preserving your body.

Like I said earlier, luck is overrated. You can avoid so many things with how you prepare, read the play/angles and position yourself. I'd argue the luck factor goes mostly to genetics. You have no say there.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

1) Don't lump everyone into one camp. You have no idea what I think about Zach's current status as a player in this league. Just a piece of advice – never, under any circumstances, assume anything. People do not all think the same. I happen to think Zach has more to give, but recognize that he's definitely been playing through injury for much of this year, and that this is hard for veterans to do, forget about a kid who's 20. That by itself shows heart, let alone him playing without half of his face.

2) I was and still am a fan of Ryan Johansen. But I prefer Seth Jones on our squad. Sue me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Part of the reason we are here with Murray and his being called an injury prone player (which I agree with) is because he played through an injury. During our first playoff series against Pittsburgh, he wa playing on an extremely bad knee and missed almost the entirety of the next season.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I found a video of the time Foligno, who has the back of all of his teammates all of the time, got elbowed and concussed and Big tough Ryan went up to the guy and probably said, "Don't do that again. That was mean." And then he looked down like a scared little boy.

He's gutless.

Blue Jackets' Foligno on IR after headshot from Malone - Sportsnet.ca

You just "found it" huh?

Good lord. So you want Murray (who clearly isn't a "big" or "tough" guy) to go and fight and/or risk injury going after a physical 4th liner who is quite a bit bigger and "tougher" than him?? Or do you want him hurt so you can complain about his "toughness" anyway. What about our own "tough guy" Josh Anderson, who was on the ice and didn't even approach the guy in any way.

And if you watch this video, around the 30 sec mark, you'll learn just who did attempt to hold Malone accountable. Oh that's right, 2 guys you wanted and currently want bought out...

Here's terrible person, and NON assistant captain Dubinsky

Here's waste of a roster spot Jared Boll doing exactly what he was paid for. Legit impact if you want to believe it or not.

Keep the ridiculous agenda's comin'.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Part of the reason we are here with Murray and his being called an injury prone player (which I agree with) is because he played through an injury. During our first playoff series against Pittsburgh, he wa playing on an extremely bad knee and missed almost the entirety of the next season.

How bout we keep reality out of things, ok? This doesn't support any logical agenda. This happens to cover a huge amount of games that supposedly show how "prone" he is.

Also, how many other injuries has he played through, that we've never known about, that have affected his play?

The "anti Murray" crowd is simply covering all their bases.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You just "found it" huh?

Good lord. So you want Murray (who clearly isn't a "big" or "tough" guy) to go and fight and/or risk injury going after a physical 4th liner who is quite a bit bigger and "tougher" than him?? Or do you want him hurt so you can complain about his "toughness" anyway. What about our own "tough guy" Josh Anderson, who was on the ice and didn't even approach the guy in any way.

And if you watch this video, around the 30 sec mark, you'll learn just who did attempt to hold Malone accountable. Oh that's right, 2 guys you wanted and currently want bought out...

Here's terrible person, and NON assistant captain Dubinsky

Here's waste of a roster spot Jared Boll doing exactly what he was paid for. Legit impact if you want to believe it or not.

Keep the ridiculous agenda's comin'.

I couldn't find it because I thought it was against Buffalo and my searches brought up nothing relevant. Then I expanded my search and voila!

When a teammate gets cheap shotted like Foligno was, the first player there goes after the guy who did it. Period.

One of the Cincinnati Cyclones players got a nasty cheap shot the other day and two guys went straight after the offending party.

Murray's inaction was indefensible. But please do defend your boy no matter what he does.

BTW, I'm sorry the era of the enforcer is over, but it is. That doesn't mean other guys can't fight. But the Jared Boll types are done with. You gotta bring more to the table than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bread Man

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I found a video of the time Foligno, who has the back of all of his teammates all of the time, got elbowed and concussed and Big tough Ryan went up to the guy and probably said, "Don't do that again. That was mean." And then he looked down like a scared little boy.

He's gutless.

Blue Jackets' Foligno on IR after headshot from Malone - Sportsnet.ca
I suppose if I really wanted to I could dedicate an afternoon to finding a video of Foligno skating away from a confrontation. But I don't have an anti-Foligno agenda.

Just because the era of the enforcer is over doesn't mean every single damned player on the ice has to be an enforcer. Especially if the player you're targeting is one that already has an established tendency towards losing time to injury.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I suppose if I really wanted to I could dedicate an afternoon to finding a video of Foligno skating away from a confrontation. But I don't have an anti-Foligno agenda.

Just because the era of the enforcer is over doesn't mean every single damned player on the ice has to be an enforcer. Especially if the player you're targeting is one that already has an established tendency towards losing time to injury.
You don’t need to be an enforcer, but if someone cheap shots one of your teammates , you step up regardless if you get your ass beat or not . You play as a pack. It’s about sending the message that you have your brothers back

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You don’t need to be an enforcer, but if someone cheap shots one of your teammates , you step up regardless if you get your ass beat or not . You play as a pack. It’s about sending the message that you have your brothers back
So, given that tendency to be injured, Murray's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. No wonder y'all hate him and think him useless and horrible. :eyeroll:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Folingo is always there for a teammate. Open your eyes.

Well, I guess if he's scared of being injured, then it's safe to categorize him as injury prone.

Obviously you're not familiar with the code in hockey. When a teammate is obviously injured due to a cheap shot, you do something. Immediately. I'd love to hear Foligno or Dubinsky's take on Ryan Murray over a few beers.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So, given that tendency to be injured, Murray's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. No wonder y'all hate him and think him useless and horrible. :eyeroll:

Some people don't understand the culture of hockey.

Some people understand the culture of hockey.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Earlier in this thread one of the posters said Murray was cleared , and 100% , but not playing by his decision

I believe the said poster also acknowledged that this was what "they had heard" by a source from the team. Maybe, they do have a really good/credible source- But, I can't prove that.

I am slightly concerned with the back issues that Murray is having, but I'm not going to criticize him for remaining out of action at this time. I don't know how his back feels, I don't know what the results of all the tests show, I don't know what the team physician or his doctor feels is the best course of action. If I remember correctly, Murray has tried to get back out and skating with the team, but he has suffered a couple set-backs in regards to the pain that he has regressed to taking time off again.

If Murray was having significant pain in just his return to skating... I ask myself- Is it really worth it to send him back out there to start playing if it does really limit his ability to skate/play physical hockey at the NHL level. Ryan Murray knows his body a hell of a lot more than I do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad