Ryan Murray = 2nd pairing dman?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Since The Great One's return:

6GP 0 goals o assists o points 1 SOG -4. roughly 18:00 TOI/game. One SOG:laugh:

Game by game Corsi%: 29, 54,37, 55, 29, 45....average 42%

W/L CBJ 3-3. The glass man is just a huge difference maker. Really drives the engine.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Since The Great One's return:

6GP 0 goals o assists o points 1 SOG -4. roughly 18:00 TOI. One SOG:laugh:

Game by game Corsi%: 29, 54,37, 55, 29, 45....average 42%

W/L CBJ 3-3. Our glorious savior.
He's paired with soul sucking JJ, i will give him benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
He's paired with soul sucking JJ, i will give him benefit of the doubt.

On the wrong side, no less. He's played on the left side for most of his career, and between Harrington at the beginning of this year and now Johnson, he's on the other side with someone who cannot defend the left side of the ice.

It would be like slapping Foligno on defense and wondering why everything is different with him out there.

Reactions: CBJFan827

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
On the wrong side, no less. He's played on the left side for most of his career, and between Harrington at the beginning of this year and now Johnson, he's on the other side with someone who cannot defend the left side of the ice.

It would be like slapping Foligno on defense and wondering why everything is different with him out there.

I don't have a dog in this fight because I do agree with alot of your points as well as alot of CR's, but that's a bit much. If you would say "Slapping Foligno at center again and wondering why everything is different" I can go with that. Since its a forward position.Right Defense isn't playing a new position. He's playing defense. Is it an inconvenience for him that he's playing the right side instead of left as is typical for him and most other lefties? Yes. Is it a testament to him that he is playing that side? Yes. But comparing it to a winger shifting to defense is way over reaching.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Anyone who's played defense their entire life can change sides if they're the least bit competent. Bottom of the barrel excuse making for the Boy not so Wonderful.

The Foligno reference might cut it with those with beneath room temperature IQs.

Given that he's worth a goal and 1/3rd per game according to scientific evidence, the CBJ would have outscored the opposition by 6-7 goals instead of being even 13-13 since his return had #27 been played on the proper side:rolleyes:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Anyone who's played defense their entire life can change sides if they're the least bit competent. Bottom of the barrel excuse making for the Boy not so Wonderful.

The Foligno reference might cut it with those with beneath room temperature IQs.

Why aren't forwards interchangeable then? We shouldn't bemoan the lack of center depth at all; just stick Atkinson or Panarin in there. If he's the least bit competent, surely he can handle that with ease and no difficulty at all. In fact, stick him on the 4th line with a couple of offensive black holes, and if he can't make them into PPG guys, then that's just bottom of the barrel excuse making for why he can't do it.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't have a dog in this fight because I do agree with alot of your points as well as alot of CR's, but that's a bit much. If you would say "Slapping Foligno at center again and wondering why everything is different" I can go with that. Since its a forward position.Right Defense isn't playing a new position. He's playing defense. Is it an inconvenience for him that he's playing the right side instead of left as is typical for him and most other lefties? Yes. Is it a testament to him that he is playing that side? Yes. But comparing it to a winger shifting to defense is way over reaching.

There are a lot of subtleties to playing on the other side defensively, particularly since so much more of the game is moving in all directions without the puck as compared to how wingers or centers do it in the offensive zone.

It's somewhere between a winger playing center and a forward playing defense.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Why aren't forwards interchangeable then? We shouldn't bemoan the lack of center depth at all; just stick Atkinson or Panarin in there. If he's the least bit competent, surely he can handle that with ease and no difficulty at all. In fact, stick him on the 4th line with a couple of offensive black holes, and if he can't make them into PPG guys, then that's just bottom of the barrel excuse making for why he can't do it.
Your logic can't be used against hate. Our record has showed when Murray is healthy and on the left side we win way more then we lose.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Comparing forwards switching to center is silly.

Very weak attempt.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Switching from LD to RD is similar to switching from LW to RW.

It throws everything off. Some players don't mind it, but for some it can ruin their game. It completely throw off your one timers or even completely take away your ability to even take one, your shooting angles are completely different, and it takes time to adjust.

Why do you think Panarin plays LW with a RH shot? While Cam strictly plays RW? And then you have Foligno who can play wherever you need him to be.

But for Dmen playing the opposite side of your handedness makes keeping the puck a lot harder than just a routine play. As far as coverage and stuff, not much changes but when it comes to handling the puck and making plays (which is what Torts wants the D to do) it definitely throws things outta whack a bit.

For shits and gigs Id like to see how well Jones or Werenski would play if they were forced to play their opposite side.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ryan Murray vs. Sharks.

No SOG//-1//40% corsi

JJ (split from #27) vs. Sharks

One assist//+3//58% corsi

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Ryan Murray split from JJ... win.

Are wins or corsi more important... curious?

I don't care if he had a 0 corsi and was -100 if we win every game he plays.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ryan Murray split from JJ... win.

Are wins or corsi more important... curious?

I don't care if he had a 0 corsi and was -100 if we win every game he plays.

How, may I ask, is he contributing to winning? His regular stats stink. His advanced stats stink.

I guess when it comes to Ryan Murray, stats don't matter. He is above and beyond them.:laugh::laugh:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
How, may I ask, is he contributing to winning? His regular stats stink. His advanced stats stink.

I guess when it comes to Ryan Murray, stats don't matter. He is above and beyond them.:laugh::laugh:
The only thing I care about is wins and losses. When he plays 2/3D on the left side since we acuired Jones we have won many more games then without. He has been the only variable there. So when it comes to the only stat that matters his stats are better then all the other defenders.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If you are judging on wins, it is a team stat, not a Ryan Murray stat. If the argument is that the team is at its best defensively when Murray is playing second pairing on the left side, that seems supportable from the stats. But it is a team stat.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If you are judging on wins, it is a team stat, not a Ryan Murray stat. If the argument is that the team is at its best defensively when Murray is playing second pairing on the left side, that seems supportable from the stats. But it is a team stat.

I don't have any problems with what you're saying.

I do have problems with idiotic charts (not yours) attempting to place a value upon an individual's performance which are clearly misleading and don't show any particulars about how a player's performance actually impact the team.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
One thing changed for sure since Murray is back, we can hold a 1 goal lead later in the third. Remember those games where we would let a tying goal late and go to OT/SO?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One thing changed for sure since Murray is back, we can hold a 1 goal lead later in the third. Remember those games where we would let a tying goal late and go to OT/SO?

He's -5 in his last 3 games. Pretty hard sell to say he's responsible for successful lead protection. Does he just not try as hard earlier in games as he does late in games? Last night the CBJ held on due to #72 not any of the dmen.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Zack Werenski is a better goal scorer than Ryan Murray.

Ryan Murray is a better overall defenseman than Zack Werenski.

Seth Jones is better than both on both ends of the ice.

Imo.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
He's -5 in his last 3 games. Pretty hard sell to say he's responsible for successful lead protection. Does he just not try as hard earlier in games as he does late in games? Last night the CBJ held on due to #72 not any of the dmen.
Idk, before his return it was a common scene, score a goal or two, let opponent tie it in the third (Panthers, Pens, Philly etc the same #72 was in net in those games) or let a winning goal in last seconds-Caps. Since his return we had 3 games with 1 goal lead, Devils, Chicago, Sharks, you know the result. And him and Jones are always on the ice in those dying minutes. Also him and Jones take those heavy minutes on PK.

Yeah i'm aware about his -5. And that Bob was unhappy with him last night. But he's paired with JJ, a minus hunter. He didn't get any minuses on PK when paired with Seth.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad