Ryan Hartman hit/Andrighetto spear (upd: Hartman suspended one game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The hit by Hartman is unjustifiable.

But the league definitely needs to take a stance on the spearing shots to the jewels with the stick. They go completely unpunished on the ice and by DOPS which is absolutely ridiculous.

I get not suspending players, but Hedman should've 100% gotten a fine for his on Hischier. Same goes for Andrighetto here. A $5,000 fine doesn't do anything to these guys checkbooks, but it at least sends a message to them that you can't do this. That or at least send out a memo that the next person who does it gets suspended a game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That’s fair, my intention wasn’t to put blame on Andrighetto (stupid play) or Landeskog (stupid play), Hartman is entirely responsible for his own stupid play.

That said, all these dumb plays started at one point, if that’s dealt with head on, we likely don’t see as many dangerous plays we’ve seen to this point.

An eye for an eye is a stupid mentality, but when emotions run high and there’s no accountability, it’s going to happen.

It’s like seeing your friend get assaulted while police are watching and they turn a blind eye. Surely you’d be upset and frustrated, if it happens enough, frustration is bound to win out and people take matters into their own hands.

Then why stop at Ghetto’s spears? Why not go back to Subban’s swing at MacK n say Ghetto wouldn’t have been riled up enough to do something so stupid without P.K. rustling some jimmies...or some other separate incident that preceded Hartman’s turn in the dunce cap?

Reactions: MacBradley

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Not even close. The head is the initial point of contact. It's not OK because you finished by going through the body.
The NHL has consistently ruled that contact with the head is ok in a hit, as long as the head is not the primary point of contact. It is legal to make contact with a player's head during a hit as long as the primary contact is with the player's body. Whether or not the head is the initial point of contact has NOTHING to do with the legality of a hit. Complete red herring. The hit by Zadorov was 100% clean because he finished thru the body. Literally the opposite of what you're saying is and has been standard NHL rule for hits for a while now.

well suspending Hartman will certainly clean up the physical nature of this series, because now Scott Hartnell will take his place.
Oh lawd... :laugh:

It was a headshot. First point of contact is the head.

But by your logic, that means Chara can hit as many players in the head as he wants without fear of suspension.
Again, whether or not the head is the initial point of contact in a hit had NOTHING to do with whether a hit is legal or not. The issue is whether the head is the primary point of contact.

I don't see how that hit is a hearing.

If anything the spear should be getting a fine....

The NHL is going a bit crazy on borderline high hits now of all times. Why not do this in the regular season.
Really? Hartman gets nothing but head on this hit. I believe Hartman's skates also leave the ice prior to contact. Just watching Soderberg's chin snap back is f***ing brutal...

That's not the way the NHL supposedly looks at it. Supposedly, you are responsible for your actions and being tall is not an excuse. If you accidentally hit the head (especially first), it is still suspension-worthy.

Having said that, since Zadorov is not receiving a suspension, they apparently don't follow their own logic. Open season on any player below average height. Sorry guys.
You apparently have a serious misunderstanding on how the league looks at head contact in hits. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
By pouting and jumping up and down? If it actually hurt he'd be on the floor.
He hit the deck pretty hard after the first one. Had to get back into the play and took a clear run at Ghetto who side stepped him. Then Ghetto took a second swipe. At some point rage can override the pain response and Hartman is sent to the box for "Holding the stick" for catching the stick after the initial contact (likely trying to draw attention to it since this is now the second time in 20 or so seconds that a stick has made contact in the general vicinity of his manhood. Video on page 4 of this thread. First time with ~ 10:42 remaining and second time with ~10:23 remaining) and "Roughing" because at this point just about any guy would be livid and Ghetto wisely (not because he's a coward but because he'll draw more penalties for not being drawn into a fight) lets Hartman drop his gloves. While being sent to the box, Hartman pleads his case very emphatically pleads his case to the refs. I'm sure once the adrenaline/rage died down some it went back to just hurting.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The NHL has consistently ruled that contact with the head is ok in a hit, as long as the head is not the primary point of contact. It is legal to make contact with a player's head during a hit as long as the primary contact is with the player's body. Whether or not the head is the initial point of contact has NOTHING to do with the legality of a hit. Complete red herring. The hit by Zadorov was 100% clean because he finished thru the body. Literally the opposite of what you're saying is and has been standard NHL rule for hits for a while now.

Again, whether or not the head is the initial point of contact in a hit had NOTHING to do with whether a hit is legal or not. The issue is whether the head is the primary point of contact.

Really? Hartman gets nothing but head on this hit. I believe Hartman's skates also leave the ice prior to contact. Just watching Soderberg's chin snap back is ****ing brutal...

You apparently have a serious misunderstanding on how the league looks at head contact in hits. :dunno:

Please, everyone study this post until you can recite it by heart.

It's amazing how misinformed people can still be on this subject.

member 147413

Then why stop at Ghetto’s spears? Why not go back to Subban’s swing at MacK n say Ghetto wouldn’t have been riled up enough to do something so stupid without P.K. rustling some jimmies...or some other separate incident that preceded Hartman’s turn in the dunce cap?
Because this isn’t about who started it.

I shouldn’t have named players because I haven’t watched the series in its entirety to list off all the stupid.

NASHVILLE PLAYERS ALSO DO STUPID THINGS THAT CAUSE COLORADO PLAYERS TO DO STUPID THINGS.

Feel better?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Because this isn’t about who started it.

I shouldn’t have named players because I haven’t watched the series in its entirety to list off all the stupid.

NASHVILLE PLAYERS ALSO DO STUPID THINGS THAT CAUSE COLORADO PLAYERS TO DO STUPID THINGS.

Feel better?

Sure...it's still a silly point to make because in the end players are responsible for their own actions, not for whatever provocation there was for their own stupidity.

Reactions: avsfan09

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
You're completely missing the point of why I posted the hit, please go back and read what I'm replying to.

We're on Z's hit on Fiala; my point is simply that if any Preds fans are defending Johansen's hit on Barrie as not suspendable (which they did), and that if the NHL did not suspend Johansen for this hit on Barrie (which they did not), then those Preds fans are hypocrites for calling for Z to be suspended for his hit on Fiala, considering how similiar both hits were in their technical nature and results.

I'm arguing both hits were very similiar, and both were clean (at least not suspendable) - head contact was made due to Johansen / Z just being bigger. I concur with almost everything you just said about the hit itself.

Sigh....Johansen did not make initial head contact. Reference the video I posted. Barrie's forearm hits Johansen squarely between the numbers before any other contact is made. I don't think Johansen made head contact at all. If you want to insist he did, OK, but it clearly was not initial point of contact.

But hey, we can't say an Avs made a bad hit and a Preds player did not. Not possible.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Sigh....Johansen did not make initial head contact. Reference the video I posted. Barrie's forearm hits Johansen squarely between the numbers before any other contact is made.

But hey, we can't say an Avs made a bad hit and a Preds player did not. Not possible.

I've already responded to that other video with even more screenshots and stills clearly showing head contact. I know you've seen it. None of this 'Barrie just "ran into" Johansen's back'! (quote) nonsense you were posting earlier. It was a very deliberate hit initiated by Johansen, certainly not back first, and head contact was made on all angles and stills I've seen. You've tried to make it sound like Barrie went for a stroll in the park and bumped into the guy walking in front of him.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I have nothing new to add. It's already been said.

Sigh....Johansen did not make initial head contact. Reference the video I posted. Barrie's forearm hits Johansen squarely between the numbers before any other contact is made. I don't think Johansen made head contact at all. If you want to insist he did, OK, but it clearly was not initial point of contact.

Really? Hartman gets nothing but head on this hit. I believe Hartman's skates also leave the ice prior to contact. Just watching Soderberg's chin snap back is ****ing brutal...

Reactions: stl76

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Dude...seriously? Again, the legality of hit has NOTHING to do with whether or not the initial point of contact is with the head. :facepalm:

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Dude...seriously? Again, the legality of hit has NOTHING to do with whether or not the initial point of contact is with the head. :facepalm:

Cool. Then the Avs posters are clearly wrong about the head being the primary point of contact since the NHL didn't penalize or suspend Johansen.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
The NHL has to adopt the NFL qb rules. You touch the head, youre out. No gray area.

I've been thinking this for a few weeks. So many hits might start with body contact but make significant head contact as well. It should not be legal to make contact with the head. Shoulder, elbow, arm, sticks(more cross checks than high sticks) to the head should be 5, a game, and automatic suspension. They wanna get serious about concussions? This is the only way. Otherwise, every "we're serious about head injuries" cones off as empty and baseless.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I've been thinking this for a few weeks. So many hits might start with body contact but make significant head contact as well. It should not be legal to make contact with the head. Shoulder, elbow, arm, sticks(more cross checks than high sticks) to the head should be 5, a game, and automatic suspension. They wanna get serious about concussions? This is the only way. Otherwise, every "we're serious about head injuries" cones off as empty and baseless.
That's almost impossible. How can you control how someone's body is going to react to a hit? To do what you're suggesting would take all hitting out of the game.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If Hartman drawing PPs making hits and playing a shut down role "looks like a clown" then how did Mr MVP Mackinnon look? Must win game at home and no points yet again.

luckofirish8

Jan 18, 2012
Nashville, TN
Hartman was definitely hunting (and he had his reasons), but I'd be shocked if he wasn't suspended. Despite his reasons, that hit is always gonna be deemed unacceptable (rightfully so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad