RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
It’s very simple - generational is a player that will probably only be seen a handful of times in that generation, which to me is about the approximate career length of a forward, so let’s say around 15 years (ie when the “passing of the torch” happens from one set of generational
Players to the next). The only ones in this “generation” are Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid. End of story.

I freaking love Kakko but he isn’t generational. Neither is Pettersson. Neither is Hughes. Probably not even Dahlin, until he proves he has another few levels to his game.
I think most sane fans realize that term is tossed around too freely. The only generational talents are the ones that you mentioned. That being said, Kakko and Hughes are both franchise quality type players who fall under that next category of great players.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
This has to be one of the most foolish posts in HFboards history...
McDavid has the talent of a generational player. I also said he is not doing it in Edmonton.

Crosby IS a generational player. Would you say Ovechkin is a better player than Messier was if both were in their primes? And if so, is Messier a generational player? People throw that word around like its nothing.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
McDavid has the talent of a generational player. I also said he is not doing it in Edmonton.

Crosby IS a generational player. Would you say Ovechkin is a better player than Messier was if both were in their primes? And if so, is Messier a generational player? People throw that word around like its nothing.
Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goal scorer ever. If that is not generational I don't know what is.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Crosby and OV are generational. McDavid likely will be when all is said and done. Nobody else right now has that potential imo.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Crosby and OV are generational. McDavid likely will be when all is said and done. Nobody else right now has that potential imo.
Talking about forwards, yes. Then again, I don't know if you can really say that for any current defensman playing. Nevermind goaltending. Lundqvist has been pretty good.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Talking about forwards, yes. Then again, I don't know if you can really say that for any current defensman playing. Nevermind goaltending. Lundqvist has been pretty good.
Lundqvist certainly should be considered a generational goalie. One of the best to ever play the position. But let's not make a giant fight about that here. Haha

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
What do you mean by funny names? Do you think Sami Venäläinen might fit in that line better than Kakko?

Yeah, and let's also put Mika Norja to the net and we culd participate in next World Cup (whenever it will be held) as Team Northern Europe..

In all seriousness, I meant that Ive met couple of comical situations because of them being teammates everywhere. (Or what I find somewhat facepalming situations myself). My father f.ex thought that Suomi (=Finland) looked for a pass to Ruotsalainen (=Swede) during Finland-Sweden game, cuz announcer said: "Suomi tavoittelee Ruotsalaista syötöllään" and he was around the corner and didnt see the situation and sweared "what the heck hes talking about, tries to pass to Swede".

Another situation came during Ilves-JYP game where my father-in-law (who is a JYP fan) said as a joke: "I thought it was Ilves-JYP and not Finland - Sweden" etc..

So wasnt my intention to mock anybody's names tho.

Last edited:

monkaS

Apr 12, 2019
he didn't look good last night but to be fair it was a random garbage game where no one looked good, it was the first time he played under this system and these people. i wouldn't put any weight to it. there's an eht tournament at the end of the month, thats where you can make some judgement

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
he didn't look good last night but to be fair it was a random garbage game where no one looked good, it was the first time he played under this system and these people. i wouldn't put any weight to it. there's an eht tournament at the end of the month, thats where you can make some judgement
Really? I thought he actually shined in moments, and showed off how skilled he is at times. Obviously it wasn't an amazing game for anyone, but there were times I saw Kakko's brilliance shine through in a virtually meaningless and intensity free game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It’s very simple - generational is a player that will probably only be seen a handful of times in that generation, which to me is about the approximate career length of a forward, so let’s say around 15 years (ie when the “passing of the torch” happens from one set of generational
Players to the next). The only ones in this “generation” are Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid. End of story.

I freaking love Kakko but he isn’t generational. Neither is Pettersson. Neither is Hughes. Probably not even Dahlin, until he proves he has another few levels to his game.

Bingo. A player can be elite, star, franchise level, without being generational.

monkaS

Apr 12, 2019
Really? I thought he actually shined in moments, and showed off how skilled he is at times. Obviously it wasn't an amazing game for anyone, but there were times I saw Kakko's brilliance shine through in a virtually meaningless and intensity free game.
he had a nice shift or two but i feel like he was a bit too...humble. he needs to take control.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Will the game be broadcasted at yle areena today aswell?

nvm I think I found it.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
A defensive mistake by Kakko, not saying he's at fault for the goal but certainly contributed.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
A defensive mistake by Kakko, not saying he's at fault for the goal but certainly contributed.

To say it was a mistake or that he contributed I would say is wrong, but that he didnt work hard enough is more accurate if you ask me. The finnish defender on denmarks blueline did the mistake.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
To say it was a mistake or that he contributed I would say is wrong, but that he didnt work hard enough is more accurate if you ask me. The finnish defender on denmarks blueline did the mistake.
Yes, but I think Kakko was in such a position that it was his job to cover for him, not push forward.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That wasn't a "defensive mistake" by him. In fact, it was a good defensive play overall, as that wasn't even his responsibility. The back checking was good and yes, he got beat in the end and got the stick lifted. But it's absolutely ridiculous to call that a "defensive mistake".

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, but I think Kakko was in such a position that it was his job to cover for him, not push forward.
There was no need to cover for anyone in that situation, that's a completely different thing. Wingers aren't supposed to go to the blue line every time a defenseman has the puck. In that scenario, being open to receive the pass along the boards was a good idea, though I don't know what system Jalonen wants to play exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad