RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Yes, but I think Kakko was in such a position that it was his job to cover for him, not push forward.

Only reason he pushed forward was because he was probably reading a incoming pass from hes defender, but instead the defender try to go through the danish guy and loses the puck?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow, he broke away from those defensemen in 2 strides.
Yeah, and the backwards crossovers also were good. You really have to wonder where the "below average skater"-narratives come from because for a guy his size he's really good.

Reactions: CLW

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He has tremendous acceleration & is extremely agile for his size. He routinely does this thing where he circles the perimeter getting players to chase him and stops on a dime, turns and starts skating the other way while the other player starts falling down

Reactions: CLW and fr9dd9

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Kakko is playing with more confidence now after that assist, starts to look more like we all hoped he would.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He has tremendous acceleration & is extremely agile for his size. He routinely does this thing where he circles the perimeter getting players to chase him and stops on a dime, turns and starts skating the other way while the other player starts falling down
Yes. It's very interesting how different the narratives about his skating are than about Matthews's, when I would say he's at least as good a skater as Matthews was pre-draft. I guess that this time, they need to think of some sort of a "weakness" for Kakko to justify having him second or something.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes. It's very interesting how different the narratives about his skating are than about Matthews's, when I would say he's at least as good a skater as Matthews was pre-draft. I guess that this time, they need to think of some sort of a "weakness" for Kakko to justify having him second or something.

Did anyone say Matthews was a great skater? I think that was the knock on him, as well. Neither are any less than average/slightly above average skaters, but I don’t think it would be correct to say either has tremendous acceleration.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

Kakko's ''weakness'' is playing the less important position. There are definitely areas of his game that he could improve, but nothing that isn't already above-average for the NHL, that's how well-rounded he is.

For me, Kakko should get drafted first this year as he exhibits similar top-end potential to Hughes while having a much higher floor as an NHLer and virtually zero bust chance.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden

It really hit me watching this game and how he moves without the puck he is really good defence wise, like this game he was almost always the 3rd player back home. Hes awerenes of the game is so great, he really know when to go for it attack wise or when to turn around to go back defend. So many times he linemates stayed in the offence and was still buried head down in there while kakko was already backing up towards the midzoone.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Did anyone say Matthews was a great skater? I think that was the knock on him, as well. Neither are any less than average/slightly above average skaters, but I don’t think it would be correct to say either has tremendous acceleration.
People praised his skating, yes. That sort of is Matthews's weakness, of course. But Matthews is not a bad skater at all.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Suomi nearly botched that pass by not being ready to receive it. That was Granlund/Barkov level vision. Great stuff from Kakko.
First thing that came to my mind aswell, he was not ready at all. Same thing happened more then once, but without it even resulting in a great chance.

Winnipeg is down 2-0 against blues.. What if Kakko - Barkov - Laine where to build a formation, Laine and barkov will be ready for hes passes!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Suomi nearly botched that pass by not being ready to receive it. That was Granlund/Barkov level vision. Great stuff from Kakko.
The little toe drag for a better passing angle right before passing was very good. The passing lane probably wasn't open before it and that's why Suomi thought he wouldn't pass.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

The little toe drag for a better passing angle right before passing was very good. The passing lane probably wasn't open before it and that's why Suomi thought he wouldn't pass.

I'm not usually a big fan of party pooping when we get to watch these highlight videos but that really is beer league defending from the Danes. The goal reminded me of Finland's 2-1 goal in the WHC semifinal in 2016, assisted by Patrik Laine:

Winnipeg is down 2-0 against blues.. What if Kakko - Barkov - Laine where to build a formation, Laine and barkov will be ready for hes passes!

Not likely to happen. Laine would have to sign a new contract first, and even if he did that, he still might prefer Fortnite over the spring carnival that is Skoda Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad