RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I'm not usually a big fan of party pooping when we get to watch these highlight videos but that really is beer league defending from the Danes. The goal reminded me of Finland's 2-1 goal in the WHC semifinal in 2016, assisted by Patrik Laine:

Not likely to happen. Laine would have to sign a new contract first, and even if he did that, he still might prefer Fortnite over the spring carnival that is Skoda Cup.

Well, read "what if"

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kakko is playing with more confidence now after that assist, starts to look more like we all hoped he would.

I remember last pre season when Kotka was a bust after his development camp and too slow, but it changed once he scored his 1st pre season goal, you could see him getting better shift after shift and ended up surprising everyone in the end.

Reactions: fr9dd9

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Ive been writing with some new jersey peeps on their forum thread "jack hughes" and damn they seam to really think that kakko is closer to the #3 pick then #1 and that Hughes is Generational and blabla, kakko is a great player but blablabla.. I gotta say it to get it out on the internet, I think witout trying to be onesided. I think Kakko will be the better player out of those two thats just as it is. When they try to argue why Hughes is better they say, he is DYNAMIC he has great skating and HANDS, VISION, IQ.. I mean Kakko got all that AND size, an oxe in strenth, amazing board battle guy, great defense awerenes and so on.. I dont really get the mega hype with hughes. And I have watched alot of materials on that guy. He looks a bit stiff when skating even. I think and I might be the first to say this, but he looks like Teravainen.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Thats underrating Hughes. I think worst case scenario his career average is Teravainen's prime right now, in terms of production.

I just wrote that he looks stiff when skating and that he lookes like Teravainen, How on earth is that saying that he will have the same carrer productionwise?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just wrote that he looks stiff when skating and that he lookes like Teravainen, How on earth is that saying that he will have the same carrer productionwise?

Then I misinterpreted your post. I thought those were separate thoughts. I thought you were talking about his career production when you named Teravainen.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Hughes plays a lot like Teravainen but is more dynamic offensively, plays higher tempo offensive game because he has faster processor in his head. They both have similar frame. Physical strength can be trained but let’s be honest he looks physically weak even against his peers and it is unlikely Hughes ever is going to be physical force in the NHL. Teravainen use his IQ to win battles and he is more than fine in the NHL and even killing penalties, i think Hughes should have similar approach to play the game without the puck. Both moves like waterbugs on ice always their head up and stickhandle through traffic with ease without looking down but Hughes is more dynamic skater.

I think Teravainen has good potential to hit PPG+ with decent defensive game. I think Hughes has potential to hit 10-20+ to Teravainen total points with similar two-way game. This is not a knock against Hughes. Teravainen is going to be elite player if he isn’t already. Add notch offensive talent to that and we have superstar talent in the making. I’m extremely high on Hughes since i saw him last year.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Ive been writing with some new jersey peeps on their forum thread "jack hughes" and damn they seam to really think that kakko is closer to the #3 pick then #1 and that Hughes is Generational and blabla, kakko is a great player but blablabla.. I gotta say it to get it out on the internet, I think witout trying to be onesided. I think Kakko will be the better player out of those two thats just as it is. When they try to argue why Hughes is better they say, he is DYNAMIC he has great skating and HANDS, VISION, IQ.. I mean Kakko got all that AND size, an oxe in strenth, amazing board battle guy, great defense awerenes and so on.. I dont really get the mega hype with hughes. And I have watched alot of materials on that guy. He looks a bit stiff when skating even. I think and I might be the first to say this, but he looks like Teravainen.

1. Hughes is not generational
2. Kakko is without a doubt closer to Hughes than #3. The 3-9/10 range is very close. Hughes and Kakko have easily separated themselves from the pack

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
They can believe whatever they want and there is no doubt Hughes is great and is the consensus number 1 pick. That being said, Bob said only a week or so ago that the gap has shrunk considerably. Unless people want to go against Bob and his scouts (which I dare wouldn't do), Kakko is far closer to 1 than some might want to admit, which isn't a knock on Hughes, at all.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If the #1 and #2 picks didn't belong to two rival teams then we wouldn't be hearing as much of this arguing over the potential or ranking of the two players. Very very sure Devils fans wouldn't care about discussing whether Kakko is closer to a #3 or almost even with Hughes if the Rangers weren't almost sure to pick him right after the Devils pick. Rangers fans also probably wouldn't be as critical of Hughes if the Devils weren't almost a sure bet to pick him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If the #1 and #2 picks didn't belong to two rival teams then we wouldn't be hearing as much of this arguing over the potential or ranking of the two players. Very very sure Devils fans wouldn't care about discussing whether Kakko is closer to a #3 or almost even with Hughes if the Rangers weren't almost sure to pick him right after the Devils pick. Rangers fans also probably wouldn't be as critical of Hughes if the Devils weren't almost a sure bet to pick him.

Most Devils fans don’t care irregardless. A couple are being obnoxious, but overall the vast majority of us have nothing but good things to say about Kakko and we would jump at the chance to take them if we were in the Rangers shoes.

The problem is when someone wanders into our boards to stan for Kakko in a Jack Hughes thread, then gets extremely argumentative and dismissive with one of our most informed posters, and then comes back here to report on it like he came in peace.

Bob can say it’s as close as he wants. He is most likely right, but all 10 of those scouts still have Hughes 1st. So from our fanbases perspective, Kakko isn’t relevant. We aren’t drafting him. The Rangers will get their own superstar talent and i suspect both fanbases will be happy.

I don’t see the need for a fan of Kakko to go into a Hughes thread and bash the kid for the sole purpose of trying to make Kakko look better. It’s silly.

Edit: also Steven said he feels Byram and Turcotte are closer to Kakko then most believe isn’t a knock on Kakko. He thinks Kakko deserves all the praise. He is also at the same time extremely high on Byram and Turcotte, more then most I imagine. It’s an opinion end of the day, but all the guy does is read and watch material on prospects.

Reactions: The Burning GOAT

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Most Devils fans don’t care irregardless. A couple are being obnoxious, but overall the vast majority of us have nothing but good things to say about Kakko and we would jump at the chance to take them if we were in the Rangers shoes.

The problem is when someone wanders into our boards to stan for Kakko in a Jack Hughes thread, then gets extremely argumentative and dismissive with one of our most informed posters, and then comes back here to report on it like he came in peace.

Bob can say it’s as close as he wants. He is most likely right, but all 10 of those scouts still have Hughes 1st. So from our fanbases perspective, Kakko isn’t relevant. We aren’t drafting him. The Rangers will get their own superstar talent and i suspect both fanbases will be happy.

I don’t see the need for a fan of Kakko to go into a Hughes thread and bash the kid for the sole purpose of trying to make Kakko look better. It’s silly.

Edit: also Steven said he feels Byram and Turcotte are closer to Kakko then most believe isn’t a knock on Kakko. He thinks Kakko deserves all the praise. He is also at the same time extremely high on Byram and Turcotte, more then most I imagine. It’s an opinion end of the day, but all the guy does is read and watch material on prospects.

You should probably tell some of your pinheads to stay out of the thread on our board before casting these stones (but not @glenwo2, hes been cool.)

Who the f*** is Steven?

Reactions: SnowFort

maksa

Dec 18, 2018

Considering some scouts agree that hughes and kakko are really close and kakko has closed the gap considerably its natural people would like to discuss both players. Shutting down a thread for kakko naturally would move the discussion of kakko to hughes thread.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You should probably tell some of your pinheads to stay out of the thread on our board before casting these stones (but not @glenwo2, hes been cool.)

Who the **** is Steven?

You are free to report them to your local mods if you feel they are breaking rules.

I wasn’t even talking about Ranger fans. I haven’t had any problems with them. We all know you guys are getting s great player. Most of us don’t need to knock the kid to feel better about our own pick.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Considering some scouts agree that hughes and kakko are really close and kakko has closed the gap considerably its natural people would like to discuss both players. Shutting down a thread for kakko naturally would move the discussion of kakko to hughes thread.

No scout or expert has the Devils taking Kakko. Our GM pretty much flat out said we are taking Hughes.

Kakko is irrelevant to us since he is not going to be a Devil. We don’t need to discuss a future Ranger.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No scout or expert has the Devils taking Kakko. Our GM pretty much flat out said we are taking Hughes.

Kakko is irrelevant to us since he is not going to be a Devil. We don’t need to discuss a future Ranger.

That's honestly a good thing.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012

That's true, Devil fans never talk about the Rangers :naughty:

Agree with the sentiment though

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Bob can say it’s as close as he wants. He is most likely right, but all 10 of those scouts still have Hughes 1st. So from our fanbases perspective, Kakko isn’t relevant. We aren’t drafting him.

Maybe you should wait before the 2018-19 season is over before being absolutely certain about that. There's a lot of hockey still to be played before the draft. We'll probably get to see how Kakko performs against top-calibre players in May. He's never played against them before.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The best scoring rookie of each team wears that blue helmet and it's sponsored by Red Bull. (Also the best scorer of each team wears a golden helmet sponsored by government-owned betting agency Veikkaus.)
It’s not the best scoring rookie, but the best scoring U20 player in the team, who wears the blue helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad