RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
All I heard when Nylander was tearing it up in Sweden and outpacing Swedish greats was that the Swedish League wasn't what it used to be. So I'm going to apply the same logic to Pettersson. Good job kid, but just know that the league is inferior to what it once was.

Reactions: Walshy7

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What the hell is the obsession with comparing this guy to Nylander.... both fan bases have issues and it's not only in this thread.

Insecurity issues.

Reactions: Index and mikeyp24

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The reason it is hard to compare their D+1 is because they were different.

Nylander in his Draft+1 was an 18 year-old, the entire season.

Pettersson in his Draft+1 was a 19 year-old for most of the season.

That is really big at that age.

Pettersson played 16 games as an 18-year old in his D+1 year, Nylander played his entire D+1 year has an 18 year-old.

When Nylander was 19, he tore up the AHL and made the NHL down the stretch.

If Nylander was putting up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL and scoring at a 50 point pace in the NHL as a 19 year-old, no doubt in my mind he had the ability to put up monster numbers in the SHL on a good team.

I'd say Nylander had been the more impressive prospect overall. His explosiveness is what probably sets them apart, but who knows how it plays down the road.

Canuck fans should pray that Pettersson has Nylander's impact.

the struggle against leafs fans for Canucks fans continue. Ongoing battle, that never ends. Never a problem with Oiler flames Jets Habs sens fans, only them.

You have a point, that Pettersson is older in his D=1 year vs Nylander, that being said, if you really want to look at it, Pettersson is 5 months and 20 days older then Nylander in their respective draft years, he's not one full year older then Nylander so get the f*** out of this board. Seriously the amount of people trying to discredit him Pettersson is unreal.

I be so dissapointed if Pettersson becomes just a Nylander. That will be sad thing, since Horvat already surpassed Nylander, and why the f*** is Nylander brought into this conversation in the first place?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
All I heard when Nylander was tearing it up in Sweden and outpacing Swedish greats was that the Swedish League wasn't what it used to be. So I'm going to apply the same logic to Pettersson. Good job kid, but just know that the league is inferior to what it once was.

so that SWEL is so bad now, that it's normal for 19 year old kids to win the scoring title there?

What the hell is the obsession with comparing this guy to Nylander.... both fan bases have issues and it's not only in this thread.

Insecurity issues.

Canucks fans did not bring up Nylander comparisons. Most of them even forgot he was in a scoring title race all together let alone care about some overrated player on the Leafs roster.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As someone who followed the Nucks closely about 6 years while I lived there part time with my ex I forget sometimes how bad the fanbase gets it especially from the other Canadian teams. Honestly the Jets and Nucks are the only 2 teams I root for up there I like the drafted players and yea I just feel bad watching the hate for no reason. It's like the old Columbus days with the Canada doesn't respect the CBJ meme only with one of its few teams haha. So unwarranted as well from a team with guys like the Sedins as their leaders.

Truth is say this was a MTL prospect Pettersson would be touted tip prospect in hockey and the favorite for next years Calder.

You guys got IMO the highest potential player of the draft you orca mascotted bastards haha. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight. You guys are the north in the Canadian hockey fan civil war!!!

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
As someone who followed the Nucks closely about 6 years while I lived there part time with my ex I forget sometimes how bad the fanbase gets it especially from the other Canadian teams. Honestly the Jets and Nucks are the only 2 teams I root for up there I like the drafted players and yea I just feel bad watching the hate for no reason. It's like the old Columbus days with the Canada doesn't respect the CBJ meme only with one of its few teams haha. So unwarranted as well from a team with guys like the Sedins as their leaders.

Truth is say this was a MTL prospect Pettersson would be touted tip prospect in hockey and the favorite for next years Calder.

You guys got IMO the highest potential player of the draft you orca mascotted bastards haha. Good luck and keep fighting the good fight. You guys are the north in the Canadian hockey fan civil war!!!
Could you imagine if Pettersson was a Toronto prospect? Holy crap I wouldn't even wanna be on HFboards if that happened. Probably wouldn't watch sportsnet anymore either.

Reactions: Index and lawrence

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I mean Matthews is unquestionably better than Pettersson and they have him so that’s a little ridiculous.

But yeah Pettersson looks absolutely incredible and could step into a NHL teams top 6 right now and not look out of place the fact that Sweden didn’t pick him for their Olympic team is just absurd.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I mean Matthews is unquestionably better than Pettersson and they have him so that’s a little ridiculous.

But yeah Pettersson looks absolutely incredible and could step into a NHL teams top 6 right now and not look out of place the fact that Sweden didn’t pick him for their Olympic team is just absurd.
Something about the fact that he was more the 5 monthes and 19 days older then Nylander proved that the numbers he is producing now is actually beyond abysmal compared to the Swedish Jesus aka Billy Ny(lander) the hockey guy that he would tank their chances.

Science bitch...

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
the struggle against leafs fans for Canucks fans continue. Ongoing battle, that never ends. Never a problem with Oiler flames Jets Habs sens fans, only them.

You have a point, that Pettersson is older in his D=1 year vs Nylander, that being said, if you really want to look at it, Pettersson is 5 months and 20 days older then Nylander in their respective draft years, he's not one full year older then Nylander so get the **** out of this board. Seriously the amount of people trying to discredit him Pettersson is unreal.

I be so dissapointed if Pettersson becomes just a Nylander. That will be sad thing, since Horvat already surpassed Nylander, and why the **** is Nylander brought into this conversation in the first place?

You’re salty and petty grow up man, think with your head and not your emotions. I’ve read your posts and you seem to be a misguided delusional person. Relax man, it’s just a forum, don’t get mad over it.

Pettersson is having a great year and I’m curious to see if he makes the Canucks next year.

Reactions: X66

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Nylander only 20 game sample size. What pettersson did over 44 games is more impressive

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Guess it has to be this way...

With that logic
Laine is much better than Mathews, because he’s almost a year younger than him

When it comes to Matthews and Laine, people factor in things like importance of position and team support. They are also in the same league, at the same time, which is why people compare their rookie numbers and sophomore numbers together.

You have a point, that Pettersson is older in his D=1 year vs Nylander, that being said, if you really want to look at it, Pettersson is 5 months and 20 days older then Nylander in their respective draft years, he's not one full year older then Nylander so get the **** out of this board. Seriously the amount of people trying to discredit him Pettersson is unreal.

I be so dissapointed if Pettersson becomes just a Nylander. That will be sad thing, since Horvat already surpassed Nylander, and why the **** is Nylander brought into this conversation in the first place?

If you`d be disappointed that Pettersson becomes like Nylander, then you know very little about hockey and should not be taken seriously. If Pettersson becomes anything like Nylander, then the Canucks hit a home-run.

Do you understand how big that 5 months is at their age? I honestly don't think you do. 5 months is big, and in this case, it's the difference between playing an entire pro-season as an 18 year-old and playing most of your season as a 19 year-old. I don't think I have discredited Pettersson once, all I said is that it is more fair to compare his 19 year-old season to Nylander's.

This has nothing to do with the Leafs vs Canucks, you always seem to get extra worked up in anything related Leafs, you do it to yourself.

Well thats the thing then, by this logic what laine is doing this year should be compared to what mathews did last year since laine is a younger then him.

Matthews and Laine are in the same league at the same time, that's why people compare their rookie seasons and their sophomore seasons together. Then there are even further layers people look at like the center/winger debate, role on team etc.

Also, on that topic, honest question, did Pettersson play this entire season as a center? Nylander played both his 18 year-old season in the SHL and AHL as a center and his entire 19 year-old season in the AHL and NHL as a center.

I know Pettersson didn't play center at the WJC, which is why I am asking.

If he didn't play center, I think that makes Nylander's 18 and 19 year-old season more impressive

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander only 20 game sample size. What pettersson did over 44 games is more impressive

I mean I'd have to go back and check but I think his last ~10ish games is where nylander got most of his points so if he had played 44 games you cant say he wouldn't be close to petterssons numbers. Unfortunately MODO was an absolute tire fire and the leafs decided it wasn't the best place for him to keep playing. Fact is though Pettersson did it, while I think Nylander could do it. so of course Pettersson has the more impressive SHL season

Not taking anything away from pettersson here what he has done is unreal he is the best drafted prospect not in the NHL, and is likely only just behind dahlin .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Came to this thread for info about Pettersson and found myself going thru pages of bickering about Peetey and Nylander?? Def this type of thread destroying is the worse part of this forum :(

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Came to this thread for info about Pettersson and found myself going thru pages of bickering about Peetey and Nylander?? Def this type of thread destroying is the worse part of this forum :(
Leafs fans feel obliged to compare every top prospect to one of Nylander/Marner/Matthews. And of course Nylander/Marner/Matthews is always clearly better.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

When it comes to Matthews and Laine, people factor in things like importance of position and team support. They are also in the same league, at the same time, which is why people compare their rookie numbers and sophomore numbers together.

If you`d be disappointed that Pettersson becomes like Nylander, then you know very little about hockey and should not be taken seriously. If Pettersson becomes anything like Nylander, then the Canucks hit a home-run.

Do you understand how big that 5 months is at their age? I honestly don't think you do. 5 months is big, and in this case, it's the difference between playing an entire pro-season as an 18 year-old and playing most of your season as a 19 year-old. I don't think I have discredited Pettersson once, all I said is that it is more fair to compare his 19 year-old season to Nylander's.

This has nothing to do with the Leafs vs Canucks, you always seem to get extra worked up in anything related Leafs, you do it to yourself.

Matthews and Laine are in the same league at the same time, that's why people compare their rookie seasons and their sophomore seasons together. Then there are even further layers people look at like the center/winger debate, role on team etc.

Also, on that topic, honest question, did Pettersson play this entire season as a center? Nylander played both his 18 year-old season in the SHL and AHL as a center and his entire 19 year-old season in the AHL and NHL as a center.

If he didn't play center, I think that makes Nylander's 18 and 19 year-old season more impressive

The mental gymnastics you're going through to justify using age when it suits you and draft year when it suits you is amazing.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Leafs fans feel obliged to compare every top prospect to one of Nylander/Marner/Matthews. And of course Nylander/Marner/Matthews is always clearly better.
Nylanders ceiling is 60p since his shot isnt very accurate. His shooting % never goes up

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
It's called context, I'm sorry it upsets everyone here.

Back it up with something.

If the advantage exists then there should be some sort of correlation between the younger players in the draft who perform well in their draft and draft +1 seasons and those who go on to be the more successful pros.

You seem to think that five months makes a significant difference, so prove it.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Outsider fan here

Does he project as a true center at the NHL level? Or is there a chance he gets moved to wing?

Seemed to me that he played wing in WJC but I didn't get to watch many of the games.

Just curious, and thanks to anyone who has any input.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Outsider fan here

Does he project as a true center at the NHL level? Or is there a chance he gets moved to wing?

Seemed to me that he played wing in WJC but I didn't get to watch many of the games.

Just curious, and thanks to anyone who has any input.

Unknown at this point. Personally, I think he has the defensive awareness and work ethic to thrive as a centre. His frame might land him as a winger though. He will definitely get a shot as a centre at some point to see if he can handle it.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Back it up with something.

If the advantage exists then there should be some sort of correlation between the younger players in the draft who perform well in their draft and draft +1 seasons and those who go on to be the more successful pros.

You seem to think that five months makes a significant difference, so prove it.

These are examples you as human beings should be able to see.

This is why players at a young age make a huge jump over one-summer(a couple of months) because their body and mind are still developing.

That extra 5 months of learning how to utilize your body and brain is big.

I mean, you can see it yourself with Pettersson, he played most of his 18-year old season with Timra and not Vaxjo. He only really made the jump to the SHL after another off-season and in his 19th year.

Look at your own personal life, I'm sure we can all cite example of knowing people when we were 15-20 that changed a lot during summer break etc.

Don't underestimate 5-6 months at that age, it's a lot bigger than you think.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
These are examples you as human beings should be able to see.

This is why players at a young age make a huge jump over one-summer(a couple of months) because their body and mind are still developing.

That extra 5 months of learning how to utilize your body and brain is big.

I mean, you can see it yourself with Pettersson, he played most of his 18-year old season with Timra and not Vaxjo. He only really made the jump to the SHL after another off-season and in his 19th year.

Look at your own personal life, I'm sure we can all cite example of knowing people when we were 15-20 that changed a lot during summer break etc.

Don't underestimate 5-6 months at that age, it's a lot bigger than you think.
Isnt mattews 5 month older than laine? Point redudant.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

So you're pretty much saying 5 months is a big deal when it comes to Nylander and Pettersson because of development but when it comes to Matthews vs Laine it is not a big deal?

Holy f*** your logic is so flawed, we get it. Pettersson isn't allowed to be a better prospect than any of the f***ing players that play for the centre of the universe.

I'm sorry but posts like these are what give Maple Leafs fans bad names. Pettersson just had a record breaking season in the SHL yet you're trying to downplay it by saying Nylander would have done better because he played better in his D+2 season than Pettersson's D+1? That logic is so flawed, I cannot get over it. Just accept it, Petterson's D+1 absolutely shits on Nylander's D+1. We aren't suggesting that Pettersson is going to be a better player; just that Pettersson is better at the same point in their careers.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad