RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Guess it has to be this way...

When it comes to Matthews and Laine, people factor in things like importance of position and team support. They are also in the same league, at the same time, which is why people compare their rookie numbers and sophomore numbers together.

Matthews and Laine are in the same league at the same time, that's why people compare their rookie seasons and their sophomore seasons together. Then there are even further layers people look at like the center/winger debate, role on team etc.

Also, on that topic, honest question, did Pettersson play this entire season as a center? Nylander played both his 18 year-old season in the SHL and AHL as a center and his entire 19 year-old season in the AHL and NHL as a center.

I know Pettersson didn't play center at the WJC, which is why I am asking.

If he didn't play center, I think that makes Nylander's 18 and 19 year-old season more impressive

The fact that they entered the league in the same year shouldn't be factored in on comparisons. As long as the player is not regarded as an overager, it should be just draft.
The position they play can be factored in but IMO, it shouldn't make that much of a difference either. A good player is a good player regardless of the position they play. Ovechkin is still going to be regarded to be one of the best players in the league even though he's a winger.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
So you're pretty much saying 5 months is a big deal when it comes to Nylander and Pettersson because of development but when it comes to Matthews vs Laine it is not a big deal?

Holy **** your logic is so flawed, we get it. Pettersson isn't allowed to be a better prospect than any of the ****ing players that play for the centre of the universe.

I'm sorry but posts like these are what give Maple Leafs fans bad names. Pettersson just had a record breaking season in the SHL yet you're trying to downplay it by saying Nylander would have done better because he played better in his D+2 season than Pettersson's D+1? That logic is so flawed, I cannot get over it. Just accept it, Petterson's D+1 absolutely ****s on Nylander's D+1. We aren't suggesting that Pettersson is going to be a better player; just that Pettersson is better at the same point in their careers.

Man I've stumbled on a sensitive bunch, have times been that hard out west?

If you actually go back to my posts about Laine and Matthews pre-draft and post draft, I highlighted that age was important as well.

I'm saying the difference between Matthews and Laine is the fact that they played in different leagues and played different positions.

I.E hard to compare a center's stats to a wingers, and hard to compare the Finnish League to the Swiss League.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Man I've stumbled on a sensitive bunch, have times been that hard out west?

If you actually go back to my posts about Laine and Matthews pre-draft and post draft, I highlighted that age was important as well.

I'm saying the difference between Matthews and Laine is the fact that they played in different leagues and played different positions.

I.E hard to compare a center's stats to a wingers, and hard to compare the Finnish League to the Swiss League.

the question is, do you believe that Laine's production this season should be compared to Matthews last season?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
the question is, do you believe that Laine's production this season should be compared to Matthews last season?

If this was Laine's rookie season, most definitely.

Once the players are in the same league, the context changes again.

Context of position, teams, roles etc, they all factor into it.

When you're comparing two-prospects, in different leagues and different positions, that is a different ball game as well.

Nylander's 18 year-old season, he played center on a garbage SHL team and played center on an AHL team, and put up great numbers for both teams.

In Pettersson's 18 year-old season, he wasn't in the SHL.

The problem is, for some reason, a lot of people are comparing Pettersson's SHL season to Nylander's time there, when the age wasn't the same.

These things exist: The birthday effect in college athletics

Even ranking sites have Nylander's D+1 year in the SHL as a U19, but not Petterrsson, his season is ranked as a U20.

In Nylander's year there were only about 10 players in a younger age group than him that played 10 games or more , in Petterrsson's year, there were about 21.

No one is crapping on anyone, it's just the Canucks organization should pray that Petterrsson has Nylander's impact.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
If this was Laine's rookie season, most definitely.

When you're comparing two-prospects, in different leagues and different positions, that is a different ball game as well.

Nylander's 18 year-old season, he played center on a garbage SHL team and played center on an AHL team, and put up great numbers for both teams.

The problem is, for some reason, a lot of people are comparing Pettersson's SHL season to Nylander's time there, when the age wasn't the same.

Even ranking sites have Nylander's D+1 year in the SHL as a U19, but not Petterrsson, his season is ranked as a U20.

In Nylander's year there were only about 10 players in a younger age group than him that played 10 games or more , in Petterrsson's year, there were about 21.

No one is crapping on anyone, it's just the Canucks organization should pray that Petterrsson has Nylander's impact.

I just find it absurd that people are comparing Nylander's draft+1 season to Pettersson's draft season because of a 5 month age difference.
It would be equivalent to saying that when Laine 18 year season should be compared to when Matthews was playing in the swiss league and that Laiine just entered the NHL at a younger age. Therefore, it would be a legitimate to say that Laine's 19 year season (this season) is comparable to Matthews Rookie season.

You bringing in the fact that they were both rookies in the same year is a non-sequitur

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
I just find it absurd that people are comparing Nylander's draft+1 season to Pettersson's draft season because of a 5 month age difference.
It would be equivalent to saying that when Laine 18 year season should be compared to when Matthews was playing in the swiss league and that Laiine just entered the NHL at a younger age. Therefore, it would be a legitimate to say that Laine's 19 year season (this season) is comparable to Matthews Rookie season.

You bringing in the fact that they were both rookies in the same year is a non-sequitur
This argument's been thrown in his face multiple times yet he still keeps beating the same drum. It only works if it's in favour of the Leafs player don't ya know?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This argument's been thrown in his face multiple times yet he still keeps beating the same drum. It only works if it's in favour of the Leafs player don't ya know?

I've said on numerous occasions already on what the difference is between Laine and Matthews here. Even if you go through my old posts I stated all season that Matthews had an advantage in their rookie year due to age, but that was offset because of Laine's support.

I'll spell it out for you simpler if it helps out you more:

Nylander and Pettersson
People shouldn't compare one 18 year old prospects season to a 19 year old prospects season.

You with me so far?

Okay!

There reason why is because Nylander played his 18 year-old season in the SHL. Pettersson did not.

Fast forward one year!(The following season)

Nylander's 19 year-old season is split between the AHL and the NHL. Pettersson's 19 year-old season is his first year in the SHL.

Two completely different leagues and positions(Nylander was a center), which is why I don't compare their stats.

By this time in Pettersson's timeline, Nylander was already in the NHL.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
All I know is I would be disappointed if Pettersson ended up like Nylander. That's like turning into a slightly better version of Sven Baertschi lol

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
All I know is I would be disappointed if Pettersson ended up like Nylander. That's like turning into a slightly better version of Sven Baertschi lol

618.gif

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Why did you have to make this post? :facepalm:

Why encourage them to come and further muck up the Pettersson thread?

Pls Leaf fans ignore this post, for the good of this thread's quality, or make a Pettersson vs Nylander thread.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Forgive me for the intrusion, but why the **** is there a Matthews vs. Laine debate here?
Toronto came in. Anyways regardless, all arguments are still valid until Petterson proves himself next year.

MrTurdFerguson

Jan 15, 2018
If this was Laine’s rookie season, most definitely.

Then shouldn’t we compare Petterssons’s SHL rookie season to Nylander’s SHL rookie season?

While Pettersson in his D+1 is half a year older than Nylander in his D+1, in both there D+1 Years nylander had an extra half year of playing and developing in Sweden’s top league

Reactions: Index

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tldr: leafs players are the best. Nylander > Pettersson
Matthews > McDavid
Marner > Gretzky
Y'all should try to be good as the leafs

Is this not considered a form of trolling? If not it should be.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'd probably be "disappointed" if Pettersson peaked at Nylander's level, since I have such high hopes for him and think he has the potential to be a top offensive player in the NHL. But, if he does peak at that level, Canucks fans should still be very happy. Nylander is a tremendous young player and comparing him to Baertschi is ridiculous.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
Pettersson had 19 points in 17 games in the SHL before he turned 19. Nylander had 20 pts in 21 games, not including the season before where he had 7 points in 21 games. Pettersson started off a little slow, note that he was just getting accumulated in a men's league while Nylander already had that experience. Aswell, Nylander was more physically mature for his age as compared to Pettersson, who weighed 165 lbs at 6,2 ft while Nylander was 175 lbs at 5'11 ft. It's close, but I give the edge to Pettersson. Nice try though.

Reactions: Numba9 and lawrence
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad