RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I literally said Petterssons season was more impressive than Nylanders.

It’s not like Pettersson was some saviour for Växjö this season the way you first made it out to be, even without him they would be a front-runner for the gold, he has benefitted off Växjö as much as they have benefitted off him.

Trust me I am as happy as you are that he broke a 42 year old record, Sweden needs more prospects like Pettersson.
updated my post btw.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
updated my post btw.
I saw that, we mostly agree I’d be happy with Pettersson posting around the same numbers as Nylander in his first two NHL seasons, hell I’d be happy with 10 points less.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Your cherry picked stats don't mean much when you're a Leafs fan, obviously you're going to prefer your own player.

It’s not cherry picking when it’s true.

You guys are essentially comparing Pettersson’s 19 year old season to Nylander’s 18 year old season.

Nylander didn’t play a single game in the SHL as a 19 year old. On the flip side he was in the NHL by that time.

Pettersson should be a good one, but every Canuck fan should be thrilled even if he’s slightly worse than Nylander, that alone is quite a player.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I saw that, we mostly agree I’d be happy with Pettersson posting around the same numbers as Nylander in his first two NHL seasons, hell I’d be happy with a bit less.
If Pettersson has the same rookie season as Nylander, I would be very thrilled indeed.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It’s not cherry picking when it’s true.

You guys are essentially comparing Pettersson’s 19 year old season to Nylander’s 18 year old season.

Nylander didn’t play a single game in the SHL as a 19 year old. On the flip side he was in the NHL by that time.

There is no agreement on this in the community wether to use D+1 or birth year, everyone has an opinion,that should be clear not displayed as fact. Its also hard to compare when we dont know at what age each player started playing to gauge how much more development one had over the other.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
There is no agreement on this in the community wether to use D+1 or birth year, everyone has an opinion,that should be clear not displayed as fact. Its also hard to compare when we dont know at what age each player started playing to gauge how much more development one had over the other.

Scouts and player development people have been talking about age/late birthdays for ages.

I'm not saying development is linear, but lets not act like there is no difference comparing a mostly 19 year old season with a purely 18 year old one.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Scouts and player development people have been talking about age/late birthdays for ages.

I'm not saying development is linear, but lets not act like there is no difference comparing a mostly 19 year old season with a purely 18 year old one.
Also, let's not inflate the age difference. Nylander is a May birthday while Pettersson is a November so the age difference in their respective D+1 is six months.

Reactions: Index

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also, let's not inflate the age difference. Nylander is a May birthday while Pettersson is a November so the age difference in their respective D+1 is six months.

That's a big difference at that age.

It's big enough gap to ensure that Nylander didn't play a single game of pro-hockey in his D+1 as a 19 year-old.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Either way...Pettersson broke a 42 year old record and led the SEL in scoring as a teenager. He is pretty good.

If he produces at the same rate nylander has so far in his career, it's a good thing for the canucks.

He's a likely 55-65 point player year in and out

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Who said there was, but they were born a little more then 5 months apart in their draft year, you are putting enormous emphasis on this based on your view of birth year being the superior indicator and method to evaluate prospects, I personally dont hold that strong of belief on the subject unless we are discussing extreme examples, such as someone born in late September and someone born in july. Thats just my personal view when I have evaluated two players and how much of an impact this theory might actually have especially when I dont know at what age these kids started playing in their development.

Hockey people also use draft season as well, again no consensus on this.

Last edited:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
The reason it is hard to compare their D+1 is because they were different.

Nylander in his Draft+1 was an 18 year-old, the entire season.

Pettersson in his Draft+1 was a 19 year-old for most of the season.

That is really big at that age.

Pettersson played 16 games as an 18-year old in his D+1 year, Nylander played his entire D+1 year has an 18 year-old.

When Nylander was 19, he tore up the AHL and made the NHL down the stretch.

If Nylander was putting up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL and scoring at a 50 point pace in the NHL as a 19 year-old, no doubt in my mind he had the ability to put up monster numbers in the SHL on a good team.

I'd say Nylander had been the more impressive prospect overall. His explosiveness is what probably sets them apart, but who knows how it plays down the road.

Canuck fans should pray that Pettersson has Nylander's impact.
:cool:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
So....
As soon as a prospect turns 19 in the middle of the season, his achievement should be discredited a bit because it automatically count as D+2 even though it’s actually his D+1 season.

That sounds about right, it doesn’t matter that the kid is still a rookie in the SHL regardless.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013

Pettersson played 16 games as an 18-year old in his D+1 year, Nylander played his entire D+1 year has an 18 year-old.

If Nylander was putting up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL and scoring at a 50 point pace in the NHL as a 19 year-old, no doubt in my mind he had the ability to put up monster numbers in the SHL on a good team.

I'd say Nylander had been the more impressive prospect overall. His explosiveness is what probably sets them apart, but who knows how it plays down the road.

Where is the kys emoji?

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I’m glad to see Vancouver has some wonderful pieces like EP and Boeser moving forward. I’m actually hoping you win the lottery and get Dahlin as well so you can move forward with excellent young pieces at C, wing and on D.
If EP develops into a center (I think he will, smart player suited for the center position) They have great depth at that position (Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette and Sutter)

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Just want to add that all of these are bull craps.
The real reasons why it’s hard to compare these two players are
1. They were drated 3 years apart
2. Nylander never played a full season in the SHL

Reactions: Index
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad