RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Surely Grönborg can't miss a chance like this to snub him again for the WHC.

As for the Nylander - Pettersson debate, both of them where their SHL teams primary offensive threat in their D+1 season. Nylander had to carry his teams offense, Pettersson had excellent help. I don't think Pettersson would've been able to carry MODOs offense like Nylander did, but at the same time, I don't think that Nylander would've been able to run the offense playing with seasoned vets like Pesonen and Rosén the way Pettersson has done this season in Växjö.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This isn't true, like at all.

At age 18, Nylander had a better PPG in the SHL than Pettersson had in the Allsvenskan. Nylander also produced 16P in 7GP at the WJC, while Pettersson had 1P in 6GP at the same age.

Pettersson, as a late birthday, is in his 19YR old season. He is doing exceptionally well, but Nylander also did exceptionally well at 19. He had well over a PPG in the AHL. Given that he had a PPG in the SHL the year before, I would have expected him to put up similar numbers to Pettersson had he stayed in the SHL for his 19YR old season. Also Nylander outperformed Pettersson at the WJC again at age 19.

Nylander was absolutely on the same level as a prospect, and I'd argue he was a better prospect, given his speed and strength advantage.

Ah hale the villian remakes an appearance finally. I also love when you say things to devalue elias accomplishments that are not true.

I think you need to check your math on this. 20 points in 21 games for nylander vs 41 points in 43 (a much larger sample size) is about identical point per game production. And if we compare draft + 1 season as well instead of just going by your birth year metric (they were born a little over 5 months apart) and ignoring everything else, ppg production is not even close between these two.

Nylander is a very good player himself. I am not going to get into your draft year vs birth year debate since you posted pages and pages of it and we know one suits your narrative so arguing for the other was pointless.

Last edited:

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Anyone who thinks their D+1 seasons are comparable are insane. That Said what Nylander did was extremely impressive.

But EP led his team in scoring by 15 Points while playing 8 less games, while being on the ice for 9 goals against all season...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Surely Grönborg can't miss a chance like this to snub him again for the WHC.

As for the Nylander - Pettersson debate, both of them where their SHL teams primary offensive threat in their D+1 season. Nylander had to carry his teams offense, Pettersson had excellent help. I don't think Pettersson would've been able to carry MODOs offense like Nylander did, but at the same time, I don't think that Nylander would've been able to run the offense playing with seasoned vets like Pesonen and Rosén the way Pettersson has done this season in Växjö.

which makes Pettersson's season more impressive the fact he was lead his so called very strong team in points by so many points while missing 8 games, gives him points, not to mention leading the entire leauge in points, 2nd in goals, as a 19 year old, no contest whatsoever. Nylander doesn't even have the speed or the sniping skills Pettersson has right now to pull off what he did in 2018. I don't for a second believe Nylander would have won the scoring title that year.

It's one thing to lead a team in scoring a weak team, it's also one thing to lead a team in scoring that is a "strong" team.

It's sad to compare him to Nylander. If he's just going to be a Nylander I will be dissapointed.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013

At age 18, Nylander had a better PPG in the SHL than Pettersson had in the Allsvenskan. Nylander also produced 16P in 7GP at the WJC, while Pettersson had 1P in 6GP at the same age.

Pettersson, as a late birthday, is in his 19YR old season. He is doing exceptionally well, but Nylander also did exceptionally well at 19. He had well over a PPG in the AHL. Given that he had a PPG in the SHL the year before, I would have expected him to put up similar numbers to Pettersson had he stayed in the SHL for his 19YR old season. Also Nylander outperformed Pettersson at the WJC again at age 19.

Nylander was absolutely on the same level as a prospect, and I'd argue he was a better prospect, given his speed and strength advantage.
Pettersson started his first SHL season on his 18th year(D+1), Nylanders started his second SHL season, on his 18th year(D+1) Nylander had 20 points in 21 games.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
which makes Pettersson's season more impressive the fact he was lead his so called very strong team in points by so many points while missing 8 games, gives him points, not to mention leading the entire leauge in points, 2nd in goals, as a 19 year old, no contest whatsoever. Nylander doesn't even have the speed or the sniping skills Pettersson has right now to pull off what he did in 2018. I don't for a second believe Nylander would have won the scoring title that year.

It's one thing to lead a team in scoring a weak team, it's also one thing to lead a team in scoring that is a "strong" team.

It's sad to compare him to Nylander. If he's just going to be a Nylander I will be dissapointed.
First of, what? Nylander is way faster than Pettersson and it’s not remotely close.
I don’t believe that Nylander would’ve won the scoring title that year had he played the whole season either as I said he played for a much weaker team.
It’s also two different things to put up exceptional Numbers on a great team and to put up really, really good Numbers on a bad team.
In that case you are probably in for many dissappointments in life Nylander isn’t even done developing yet he is still only in his second NHL season. For the record I think they both end up as 80-point players.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Sweden realy need players like EP so i hope he pans out. And i hope Nylander developes a lot more, not realy impressed right now. Ok but not wow.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yep, if Pettersson is only as good as Nylander it will be a huge regression.
Nylander grew up playing on small ice so thats an advantage. If EP handle the smaller ice then he should be great in NHL. If he gets better then Nylander it would not hurt having them both on the national team.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I’m glad to see Vancouver has some wonderful pieces like EP and Boeser moving forward. I’m actually hoping you win the lottery and get Dahlin as well so you can move forward with excellent young pieces at C, wing and on D.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you, Sir. Kind words

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
First of, what? Nylander is way faster than Pettersson and it’s not remotely close.
I don’t believe that Nylander would’ve won the scoring title that year had he played the whole season either as I said he played for a much weaker team.
It’s also two different things to put up exceptional Numbers on a great team and to put up really, really good Numbers on a bad team.
In that case you are probably in for many dissappointments in life Nylander isn’t even done developing yet he is still only in his second NHL season. For the record I think they both end up as 80-point players.
I agree that both will probably hit 80 points during there young careers.

But you just can't deny Pettersson has had one of the most dominant performances Sweden has ever seen for a U20 player. He's been on the ice for a GA only 9 times the whole season (don't quote me on it), his coach saying he's used Pettersson in a shutdown role, while also being counted on producing, he's had a remarkable reason and I really don't have to go in depth to tell you that Nylander's U20 is amazing, but Pettersson broke records... which haven't been achieved in over 40 years and probably won't any time soon.

Also, you say that Pettersson plays on a really good team, yeah, because HE'S the one that makes that team better. He has 15 more then the next player.

By that logic, that would mean Boeser should be winning the Calder, him scoring all those goals with a poor team compared to Barzal who has a lot more support and has more points to go along with that?

Reactions: Index

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

World juniors is a crap shoot. Puljujarvi had similar totals and he's has struggled at the NHL level. Didn't Cory Hodgson put up the most points in WJC for Canada ever? Lots of players have had subpar performances at the WJC but have had very solid NHL careers. Vice versa. Take it with a grain of salt.

As the posters above mentioned, he started the year as an 18 year old.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The reason it is hard to compare their D+1 is because they were different.

Nylander in his Draft+1 was an 18 year-old, the entire season.

Pettersson in his Draft+1 was a 19 year-old for most of the season.

That is really big at that age.

Pettersson played 16 games as an 18-year old in his D+1 year, Nylander played his entire D+1 year has an 18 year-old.

When Nylander was 19, he tore up the AHL and made the NHL down the stretch.

If Nylander was putting up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL and scoring at a 50 point pace in the NHL as a 19 year-old, no doubt in my mind he had the ability to put up monster numbers in the SHL on a good team.

I'd say Nylander had been the more impressive prospect overall. His explosiveness is what probably sets them apart, but who knows how it plays down the road.

Canuck fans should pray that Pettersson has Nylander's impact.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
The reason it is hard to compare their D+1 is because they were different.

Nylander in his Draft+1 was an 18 year-old, the entire season.

Pettersson in his Draft+1 was a 19 year-old for most of the season.

That is really big at that age.

Pettersson played 16 games as an 18-year old in his D+1 year, Nylander played his entire D+1 year has an 18 year-old.

When Nylander was 19, he tore up the AHL and made the NHL down the stretch.

If Nylander was putting up 45 points in 38 games in the AHL and scoring at a 50 point pace in the NHL as a 19 year-old, no doubt in my mind he had the ability to put up monster numbers in the SHL on a good team.

I'd say Nylander had been the more impressive prospect overall. His explosiveness is what probably sets them apart, but who knows how it plays down the road.

Canuck fans should pray that Pettersson has Nylander's impact.
Your cherry picked stats don't mean much when you're a Leafs fan, obviously you're going to prefer your own player.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I agree that both will probably hit 80 points during there young careers.

But you just can't deny Pettersson has had one of the most dominant performances Sweden has ever seen for a U20 player. He's been on the ice for a GA only 9 times the whole season (don't quote me on it), his coach saying he's used Pettersson in a shutdown role, while also being counted on producing, he's had a remarkable reason and I really don't have to go in depth to tell you that Nylander's U20 is amazing, but Pettersson broke records... which haven't been achieved in over 40 years and probably won't any time soon.

Also, you say that Pettersson plays on a really good team, yeah, because HE'S the one that makes that team better. He has 15 more then the next player.

By that logic, that would mean Boeser should be winning the Calder, him scoring all those goals with a poor team compared to Barzal who has a lot more support and has more points to go along with that?
I’m sure as hell not going to deny that, overall EPs draft+1 season was more impressive than Nylanders draft+1 season period. That said I still don’t think EP would’ve been able to run MODOs offense as well as Nylander did because he is a different kind of player.

You’re flat out wrong when you say that EP was the reason for Växjö being the best team in the SHL this season look at their stats when he was out for the WJC they went 7-1.

Both players will turn out to be top 20 forwards IMO so well.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m sure as hell not going to deny that, overall EPs draft+1 season was more impressive than Nylanders draft+1 season period. That said I still don’t think EP would’ve been able to run MODOs offense as well as Nylander did because he is a different kind of player.

You’re flat out wrong when you say that EP was the reason for Växjö being the best team in the SHL this season look at their stats when he was out for the WJC they went 7-1.

Both players will turn out to be top 20 forwards IMO so well.
Elias is at least a good chunk of Vaxjo's success then. 56 points in 44gp, doesn't matter any way you look at it. You can continue to use what if's and would have's, but reality is Pettersson has had a much phenomenal performance of any U20 for a Swede in a long time.

Pettersson broke records, Nylander didn't.

However, I will say this. Nylander is a proven 60 point player. Pettersson hasn't made the NHL yet (D1), so I shall refrain from saying he is better than Nylander. However, I will gladly say that Pettersson's U20 is greatly superior than Nylander's.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Elias is at least a good chunk of Vaxjo's success then. 56 points in 44gp, doesn't matter any way you look at it. You can continue to use what if's and would have's, but reality is Pettersson has had a much phenomenal performance of any U20 for a Swede in a long time.

Pettersson broke records, Nylander didn't.
I literally said Petterssons season was more impressive than Nylanders.

It’s not like Pettersson was some saviour for Växjö this season the way you first made it out to be, even without him they would be a front-runner for the gold, he has benefitted off Växjö as much as they have benefitted off him.

Trust me I am as happy as you are that he broke a 42 year old record, Sweden needs more prospects like Pettersson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad