Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Screenshot_20240426_121835_Chrome.jpg

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think Isles fans (based on various posts I've seen) assumed their team would give Carolina more of a run for the money physically. I think it's pretty clear were not as much of a pushover team as we once were. Not to say we're Vegas but players like Aho, Jarvis, and suprisingly Guentzel are of the small but mighty variety. I'm not even sure you could call Aho small anymore. Dude is on that Brindy fast track to gains.

View attachment 859902
An Islander fan on one of the game threads opined that the Hurricanes are "huge".

They're not. But they play like they are. That's a big, big deal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Glass half full: We haven't played our best and are good enough to still be up 3-0
Glass half empty: We aren't playing well and are barely squeaking by the Islanders

It's up to each person to decide how they want to feel.

For me, winning ugly is still winning and what the playoffs are all about. I'll worry about problems in another round when they materialize in another round.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Both goals scored by the Islanders, whether missed assignments or not are the type of goals the Canes give up too often. And in the case of this series, these types of goals have been there in every game. That weak side/back door opportunity (whether a rebound or not) was evident as an option in nearly every game of this series. The only way we don't get scored on when that's available is by blocking or tipping the pass. At 5v5 there really should be a man on those guys. Need to tighten that shit up or it will continue to be exploited.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
It's hard to tell, because I feel like the fish often encourage an "ugly" style of hockey (No shade, I think that game plan works for them). But, yeah, I have not really seen what I would consider a "complete" game from the Canes, yet.

Been thinking the same thing. Out of these 3 games I really haven't seen the Canes play there best hockey yet for a full 60 minutes. It's been happening in spurts (game 2 comeback).

But for them to not be playing their best and still win is great...although they can't keep playing this way in other rounds and expect to win.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Every team presents a unique set of challenges, and the solutions to those challenges are different. This is what solving the Islanders looks like. It's ugly and it's boring.

The next series will present a different set of challenges entirely, and how the Canes fare in this series doesn't really reflect how they'll fare in the next.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
View attachment 860009
True, that picture looks too professional.

God I used to watch this show. It was insane how little confidence those men had around women. They didn't have to be the bad boy asshole type but they had the game of a 14 year old talking to a girl for the first time. And the way they dressed, you're millionaires, invest in some suits and ties will ya?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think Isles fans (based on various posts I've seen) assumed their team would give Carolina more of a run for the money physically. I think it's pretty clear were not as much of a pushover team as we once were. Not to say we're Vegas but players like Aho, Jarvis, and suprisingly Guentzel are of the small but mighty variety. I'm not even sure you could call Aho small anymore. Dude is on that Brindy fast track to gains.

View attachment 859902
such a stud

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Glass half full: We haven't played our best and are good enough to still be up 3-0
Glass half empty: We aren't playing well and are barely squeaking by the Islanders

It's up to each person to decide how they want to feel.

For me, winning ugly is still winning and what the playoffs are all about. I'll worry about problems in another round when they materialize in another round.
Without Pesce we aren’t probably going to be our best the way we think of it anyways. We have to find ways to win, and we are right now. Good enough for me. I think we may play down to the level of our opponent a little bit at times. Presuming we finish this off I think the room knows when it’s time to find the next level.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
What happened in the third period last night was not "disruption, with the occasional counterpunch" from the Islanders. The Islanders were the ones that came at us in waves and overwhelmed us, and all we could do most of the period was dump the puck down the ice.

Obviously, it's expected to get a pushback from the opposing team looking for the tying goal, especially to prevent going down 3-0 in the series. But even Rod said postgame that the third period wasn't what he drew up.
The third period last night wasn't our finest moment, but the other two were good, and the Isles were desperately playing knowing that their season was over if they didn't win that one with the crowd behind them in their first home playoff game of the year.

One bad period when the other team is the most motivated they'll ever be all season and we didn't give them a goal during it. I'm sorry, but I just can't be bothered to care. We're not going to march to the Cup with zero opposition. The opponent gets a vote. Their absolute best couldn't win them a game against us. That's a good sign, not a bad one.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
God I used to watch this show. It was insane how little confidence those men had around women. They didn't have to be the bad boy asshole type but they had the game of a 14 year old talking to a girl for the first time. And the way they dressed, you're millionaires, invest in some suits and ties will ya?
Trash TV at its finest. Funny enough I was introduced and watched it with a girl I met on tinder. I’m ashamed to admit I enjoyed it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Trash TV at its finest. Funny enough I was introduced and watched it with a girl I met on tinder. I’m ashamed to admit I enjoyed it.

Me too. Except for the girl on tinder part. I first saw it while at my moms house while on summer break from college. She had introduced me to Wife Swap while I was in high school so I guess naturally a dating show was up my alley.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Me too. Except for the girl on tinder part. I first saw it while at my moms house while on summer break from college. She had introduced me to Wife Swap while I was in high school so I guess naturally a dating show was up my alley.
I'm going to choose this to mean that your mother introduced you to wife swapping.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The third period last night wasn't our finest moment, but the other two were good, and the Isles were desperately playing knowing that their season was over if they didn't win that one with the crowd behind them in their first home playoff game of the year.

One bad period when the other team is the most motivated they'll ever be all season and we didn't give them a goal during it. I'm sorry, but I just can't be bothered to care. We're not going to march to the Cup with zero opposition. The opponent gets a vote. Their absolute best couldn't win them a game against us. That's a good sign, not a bad one.

It's been more than one bad period against them. They outplayed us for much of Game 1 as well. And the bad sign would be that this is likely the weakest competition we'll face in the playoffs this year and we're struggling to win games against them.

Sorry, it's hard to watch the Canes get outplayed against the Islanders, while our likely competition over the next few rounds (the Rangers and Panthers) are handling their first round opponents with the ease you'd expect them to.

The Lightning were just as desperate as the Islanders last night not to go down 3-0 in front of their home crowd. And Florida shut them down in the 3rd. Only gave up like 2 shots in the first 10 minutes of that period, then added an insurance goal to give breathing room. That's the kind of performance you'd want from a contending team against weaker competition, rather than whatever we decided to do last night.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It's been more than one bad period against them. They outplayed us for much of Game 1 as well. And the bad sign would be that this is likely the weakest competition we'll face in the playoffs this year and we're struggling to win games against them.

Sorry, it's hard to watch the Canes get outplayed against the Islanders, while our likely competition over the next few rounds (the Rangers and Panthers) are handling their first round opponents with the ease you'd expect them to.

The Lightning were just as desperate as the Islanders last night not to go down 3-0 in front of their home crowd. And Florida shut them down in the 3rd. Only gave up like 2 shots in the first 10 minutes of that period, then added an insurance goal to give breathing room. That's the kind of performance you'd want from a contending team against weaker competition, rather than whatever we decided to do last night.
FWIW: Rangers were often out-played in game 2...Fl. has been a machine though.

btw: I actually like it when a team doesn't play their best hockey in round 1 leaving that better effort/play for later rounds.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019

Come to think of it...didn't the Islanders play like this against us last year in the playoffs. All games were basically low scoring except for two somewhat blow outs (one by each team).

We were heavily favored (if I recall) last year as well and it took an OT goal by Stastny in game 6 to prevent a game 7.

Then we had an easier time vs the Devils, whom surprisingly had defeated the Rangers last round.

Also, you got to remember; it's the playoffs. NO team is easy. Heck, see Florida last year. Snuck in as a wild card like the last week of the season and went all the way to the finals.

And, we're up 3-0 and Carolina hasn't even played a full 60 minutes yet in this series. You know, they're 'A' game.

If that keeps up it's concerning but we may want to give credit to the Islanders. They're doing something right to prevent us from putting in a complete effort. We seem to get it in spurts.

It showed during that comeback in game 2 and a little in game 3.

Despite all this, we're up 3-0 and the Islanders third period last night was all desperation. They threw everything at us except the kitchen sink but we held strong and Carolina did what they've been able to do all season; finish a game off after leading after the 2nd period. NY blew their chance in game 2.

Now, we have them by the balls and we can expect more of the same tomorrow. Islanders are going to throw everything at us.

Unlike last night's third period though I would like Carolina to apply some push back tomorrow because we all know NY will be emptying the tank as they say; they'll be playing for their playoff lives.

A team is most dangerous when they're desperate.

Whomever is in net, Andersen or Kochetkov needs to be ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad