RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Adam Gaudette weighs the same as Pettersson why isn’t anyone freaking out about his weight?

This is what Wayne Simmonds looks like, and nobody says anything. He even plays a physical/power forward style game:

View attachment 124381

View attachment 124383

View attachment 124385

Different sport, but Kevin Durant couldn’t do a single bench press at the combine. He’s one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Wayne Gretzky was skinny and EP will probably have a similar build to him in adulthood.

Point is, it’s way more important to be athletic and far less important to have a big number wen you step on a scale. Everyone’s body has a different natural weight that enables them to be at their athletic peak. EP’s is probably just a bit less that most guys his height, that doesn’t mean he has to be 200lbs to be successful and it might actually be better for him to be around 180.
Don't come here with your common sense, Ep obviously will never be good- we should took Liljegren clearly:sarcasm:

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

HC7

May 2, 2018
Don't come here with your common sense, Ep obviously will never be good- we should took Liljegren clearly:sarcasm:

Liljegren will end his career with more cups so I don't get the joke.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Loooool, knee slapper. Fans like you are the reason no body likes the leafs. I'll take our record breaking SHL mvp, you can keep your sub .4ppg AHL defenseman.

The ignorance, or lack of insight is obvious on this one.
Weren't you the antagonist by bringing up Liljegren and taking a shot at him out of nowhere?

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Weren't you the antagonist by bringing up Liljegren and taking a shot at him out of nowhere?
Was literally just the first defenseman that came to my head, but sure if you so.

Was simply pointing out the fact that everyone rips on EP for being skinny when he's clearlt got superstar talent and the ability to be the best in the draft- Liljegren happens to be a "safe" pick who could have gone at 5 like EP and nobody woulda batted an eye. I named someone who is simply the opposite of EP and you guys jump on it like I ran over Matthews

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Adam Gaudette weighs the same as Pettersson why isn’t anyone freaking out about his weight?

This is what Wayne Simmonds looks like, and nobody says anything. He even plays a physical/power forward style game:

View attachment 124381

View attachment 124383

View attachment 124385

Different sport, but Kevin Durant couldn’t do a single bench press at the combine. He’s one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Wayne Gretzky was skinny and EP will probably have a similar build to him in adulthood.

Point is, it’s way more important to be athletic and far less important to have a big number wen you step on a scale. Everyone’s body has a different natural weight that enables them to be at their athletic peak. EP’s is probably just a bit less that most guys his height, that doesn’t mean he has to be 200lbs to be successful and it might actually be better for him to be around 180.
Sorry but those comparisons are all over the place. A 5th rounder who is shorter and listed at a higher weight, a 2nd rounder who plays a completely different game and is clearly way stronger, the best hockey player of all time who played in a very different era, and... a basketball player?

You're right about the last paragraph but it doesn't change the fact that Pettersson looks like he still has a long way to go physically. If he was a 5th round pick no one would be "freaking out" about his strength because everyone would assume he's several years away. When people are predicting he'll be a superstar from day 1 in the NHL next season, that's when it makes sense to be concerned that he won't be strong enough.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Are people actually still ****** worried about Pettersson’s weight? :laugh:

For all you non athletes out there, weight isn’t that important, muscle mass is. Putting on a ton of weight can actually mess with your balance and agility and coordination. Pettersson will be a superstar.

25 goals 40 assists next year with a Calder. Just you wait.

Reactions: nickeleyegoldopin

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For all you non athletes out there, weight isn’t that important, muscle mass is.
... Muscle mass = "the weight of muscles" = weight.

And in hockey, there is some benefit to non-muscle weight, see Big Buff.

That would be a mild disappointment with all the type, out of a 20-year-old. Compare to Barzal.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

For all you non athletes out there, weight isn’t that important, muscle mass is. Putting on a ton of weight can actually mess with your balance and agility and coordination. Pettersson will be a superstar.

Doesn't take long for a twig to get snapped. Just watch Liljegren get pounded into the boards in the Calder finals, played timid as hell the first four games.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Doesn't take long for a twig to get snapped. Just watch Liljegren get pounded into the boards in the Calder finals, played timid as hell the first four games.

That's 18 year old Calder Cup Champion Timothy Liljegren to you.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

That would be a mild disappointment with all the type, out of a 20-year-old. Compare to Barzal.
25 goals and 40 assists playing with currently Brandon Sutter as his Center is God like. Until we get an actually #2 Center to play with him, he won’t produce to his potential

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016

You surely sound like a personal body trainer, explain to me how are you going to gain muscle mass without adding weight?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Also, Just because muscle mass=weight of muscles=weight doesn’t mean that is what is meant. Virtanen put on a ton of weight two off seasons ago and that just slowed him down big time. Big Buff is just the exception not the norm.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Guys the reason that people still question his weight is because Pettersson is so good and skilled, they literally can't find any other thing to call out. He has no weaknesses in the game of hockey in terms of passing, shooting, dangling, skating, puck handling, iq, etc. so they just comment about weight to show us their saltiness.
Deep down, they're just jelly ;)

Reactions: Crocodiligator

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I really don't see Elias having the hockey IQ necessary to become a top-6 producer in the NHL but I do think he'll turn out to be an excellent bottom-6 energy guy. Very fun to watch though.

Reactions: lawrence
Feb 24, 2017

The way I read it here is less Canucks fans are worried about his weight hurting him than fans of other teams are praying it does.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013

It’s going to be Petterssons 19 year old season if he plays in the NHL next year.
Barzals rookie season was his d+3

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Jets fan with no horse in this race....

Bashing Peterson for is size is dumb. He does not have an NHL body but he will get it sooner rather than later. No issues at all regarding skill or hockey IQ. He has first line centre written all over him. Is he on the Matthews level? No. Is he very close? Yes. Anyone that breaks Forsberg's records needs to be taken really seriously.

What Canucks fans should worry more about is the overall depth in the system. Other than Peterson and Boeser no one has really elite level potential. i think after that there is a serious drop off. The Leafs have done a much better job of stockpiling picks and depth.

The Canucks really need one more year of hard tank and and a few more picks they need to hit on. I have no idea why Tanev has not been traded yet for youth.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Jets fan with no horse in this race....

Bashing Peterson for is size is dumb. He does not have an NHL body but he will get it sooner rather than later. No issues at all regarding skill or hockey IQ. He has first line centre written all over him. Is he on the Matthews level? No. Is he very close? Yes. Anyone that breaks Forsberg's records needs to be taken really seriously.

What Canucks fans should worry more about is the overall depth in the system. Other than Peterson and Boeser no one has really elite level potential. i think after that there is a serious drop off. The Leafs have done a much better job of stockpiling picks and depth.

The Canucks really need one more year of hard tank and and a few more picks they need to hit on. I have no idea why Tanev has not been traded yet for youth.

Pretty much spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad