RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah he looks realy skinny. Hope that doesent get in his way. I dont Think its wise to have to high hopes, even tho i hope he will be realy good right away.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, the kid needs to add tons of mass or else he'll be decimated in the boards.

People have been telling him that at every level and he just crushes all expectations. Some strength would obviously not hurt but he will figure out ways to score anyway. Key is to have some patience in the beginning, he will probably look terrible the first few games.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
People have been telling him that at every level and he just crushes all expectations. Some strength would obviously not hurt but he will figure out ways to score anyway. Key is to have some patience in the beginning, he will probably look terrible the first few games.
I'm sure it'll get much harder to do that in the worlds best league though. I hope the best for the kid however and I'm sure he'll be able to gain some mass with a proper program. For some people it's just very difficult to gain weight/mass due to their genes, including me lol.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'm sure it'll get much harder to do that in the worlds best league though. I hope the best for the kid however and I'm sure he'll be able to gain some mass with a proper program. For some people it's just very difficult to gain weight/mass due to their genes, including me lol.

He'll bulk up this summer. You can't really put on mass during the hockey season as you can't devote the time to weight training and you burn so many calories playing it would be hard to put it on anyway.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I don't expect him to bulk up this summer mostly because size hasn't been a problem for him in any league so far. But If he fails in the NHL next year because of size, I have no doubt that he will do whatever it takes to bulk up.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I don't expect him to bulk up this summer mostly because size hasn't been a problem for him in any league so far. But If he fails in the NHL next year because of size, I have no doubt that he will do whatever it takes to bulk up.
I don't worry about his size too much right now as long as he continues to add muscle each summer. Majority of the games he will play the next few years will be complete no hitters where the other team puts in 50% effort knowing the canucks are an easy 2 points that will go down with a whimper . When you are a good team you just want to play 1 period, collect the 2 points and not waste any needless energy starting shit against a bottom feeder. He will probably struggle a bit on board battles right now but there isn't many Tom Wilson's in the league looking to hurt people. If he's on the ice with a Tom Wilson I might worry a bit but the league is slowly shifting towards eliminating hitting and allowing skill to flourish without the fear they are going to get run over every shift.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
But that isn't really up to him is it? I mean if the organisation tells him to gain some weight do you think he'll just ignore that?

Benning has gone on recorded saying they want him to focus on getting stronger, and not to worry about gaining a ton of weight. They want him to keep his quickness.

Reactions: Love

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
He needs to gain muscle mass which will come over time, scary to think he could be faster and have a better shot in a couple years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
"Crushes all expectations"? At SHL, perhaps. Did he crush all expectations at the world championships? No, it was a very disappointing tournament for him.
Benning has gone on recorded saying they want him to focus on getting stronger, and not to worry about gaining a ton of weight. They want him to keep his quickness.
If you want to get stronger, you need to gain muscle, which means that you need to gain weight. Geez.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
"Crushes all expectations"? At SHL, perhaps. Did he crush all expectations at the world championships? No, it was a very disappointing tournament for him.

If you want to get stronger, you need to gain muscle, which means that you need to gain weight. Geez.

We don’t give a shit about world champion ships. I can name at least 20 well name players who was a disappointment.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

At certain bodyfat ratios, you can lose fat gain muscle at the same time. So you might not gain sheer mass as much as 'transform' the mass from fat to being more muscle, which will add some mass as muscle is more dense tissue than fat.

But yes, there comes a point where you basically have to gain mass to increase strength. That's why powelifters are often 'fat' and bulky.

EP will probably shed some of the baby fat and tack on a few lbs of lean muscle and will make some significant strength gains this off season with strength and nutrition coach.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
How can you still say that when he obviously had a hard time vs the better teams on smaller ice surface? I agree that his potential is enormous, but he NEEDS to get stronger and more used to small ice. He wont get the extra 2-3 seconds hes getting over here in the NHL, and he had a hard time even in the WHC in which he easily got pushed off the puck in the first games, I saw it live.

What do worries me is that he dosnt seem to take the work on his strenght etc seriously, considering he was aware that he needed to become stronger during his draft

lawrence

May 19, 2012
A fantastic skater.

That's great news for Virtanen that his skating can make up for a void in defensive IQ and gives him the appearance he knows what he's doing out there.

How can you still say that when he obviously had a hard time vs the better teams on smaller ice surface? I agree that his potential is enormous, but he NEEDS to get stronger and more used to small ice. He wont get the extra 2-3 seconds hes getting over here in the NHL, and he had a hard time even in the WHC in which he easily got pushed off the puck in the first games, I saw it live.

What do worries me is that he dosnt seem to take the work on his strenght etc seriously, considering he was aware that he needed to become stronger during his draft

Canucks drafted pettersson on a Friday.
The next day was at the draft with the Canucks for the remaining draft. Asking the team about every other player we drafted.

Sunday he was in Vancouver.
Monday morning he was already training, telling linden “I need to get stronger.”

Whatever he did in the summer helped him break record after record in the sel, forcing the haters on hfboards, to even slam the entire leagues repuation by saying he’s fluking it due to lack of skill level in the sel.

More tears of anger streaming down peoples faces.

Reactions: peatmoss

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Canucks drafted pettersson on a Friday.
The next day was at the draft with the Canucks for the remaining draft. Asking the team about every other player we drafted.

Sunday he was in Vancouver.
Monday morning he was already training, telling linden “I need to get stronger.”

Whatever he did in the summer helped him break record after record in the sel, forcing the haters on hfboards, to even slam the entire leagues repuation by saying he’s fluking it due to lack of skill level in the sel.

More tears of anger streaming down peoples faces.
Youre a lost cause, and you didnt even care to read what you just quoted. God I hate homers

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

I suggest you go rewatch the semifinal game against USA. Either way, we are talking about small sample sizes here. Has he really been worse on the smaller ice than on the bigger ice against international competition? He just hasn't been fantastic for the national teams in general.

Pettersson looked like a 12 year old against France this WC, falling down, turning the puck over etc. and people immediately came to the conclusion that he couldn't handle the "tougher" competition. Is France really better than the average SHL team? He would have figured it out eventually.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

He is such a talented player though. He is going to get a 9 game tryout in the NHL to start next season, and even with minimal muscle gains, I have a hard time seeing Pettersson being sent down.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Pettersson WILL be in the NHL next season even if he's not ready just due to pure fact they're trying to sell tickets.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Adam Gaudette weighs the same as Pettersson why isn’t anyone freaking out about his weight?

This is what Wayne Simmonds looks like, and nobody says anything. He even plays a physical/power forward style game:

upload_2018-6-9_9-15-7.jpeg

upload_2018-6-9_9-15-46.jpeg

upload_2018-6-9_9-16-21.jpeg

Different sport, but Kevin Durant couldn’t do a single bench press at the combine. He’s one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Wayne Gretzky was skinny and EP will probably have a similar build to him in adulthood.

Point is, it’s way more important to be athletic and far less important to have a big number wen you step on a scale. Everyone’s body has a different natural weight that enables them to be at their athletic peak. EP’s is probably just a bit less that most guys his height, that doesn’t mean he has to be 200lbs to be successful and it might actually be better for him to be around 180.

Reactions: Henr1k
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->