RW Brock Boeser - North Dakota, NCAA (2015, 23rd, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Boeser was a underager playing WJC on the bottom six. He didn't struggle at all. He didn't put up the numbers cause he wasn't put in a position to.

That's like saying Konecny struggled last WJC which is untrue. Konecny was excellent.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Boeser was a underager playing WJC on the bottom six. He didn't struggle at all. He didn't put up the numbers cause he wasn't put in a position to.

That's like saying Konecny struggled last WJC which is untrue. Konecny was excellent.

Did you even watch the tournament? I ask because none of what you said is true. He was given several opportunities with Matthews and Tkachuk after Debrincat got hurt and he couldn't keep up. The rest of the tournament, he played on the 2nd pp unit and alongside Schmaltz at even strength. That pair was expected to provide some secondary scoring.

I was in Helsinki and went to every USA game. He was a non factor.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Did you even watch the tournament? I ask because none of what you said is true. He was given several opportunities with Matthews and Tkachuk after Debrincat got hurt and he couldn't keep up. The rest of the tournament, he played on the 2nd pp unit and alongside Schmaltz at even strength. That pair was expected to provide some secondary scoring.

I was in Helsinki and went to every USA game. He was a non factor.

Echoing this. I didn't think he was very impressive.

The list of solid NHLers who flubbed the WJC is a long one.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Marner was not very impressive at the WJC. He is impressing the hell out of me this year in the NHL.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Marner was not very impressive at the WJC. He is impressing the hell out of me this year in the NHL.

Not very impressive? Did he not lead his team in points? Not his fault that his team didn't play great as a whole... and that's despite him stepping up and getting two goals in the elimination game against Finland.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not very impressive? Did he not lead his team in points? Not his fault that his team didn't play great as a whole... and that's despite him stepping up and getting two goals in the elimination game against Finland.

Tied with Strome and Point.

Whatever sorry if you do not agree. I can rephrase. I was not impressed by Marner at the WJC last year. I thought Strome outplayed him.

NOTE: the point I was making is that WJC performance does not mean squat to NHL performance. And this is in support of Boeser not being written off because of his WJC performance last year.

Some TML fans :shakehead

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Tied with Strome and Point.

Whatever sorry if you do not agree. I can rephrase. I was not impressed by Marner at the WJC last year. I thought Strome outplayed him.

NOTE: the point I was making is that WJC performance does not mean squat to NHL performance. And this is in support of Boeser not being written off because of his WJC performance last year.

Some TML fans :shakehead

Your opinion is quite subjective for sure. The majority of Canadian fans (not leaf fans) thought Marner was one of the top Canadian players at the WJHC. Unfortunately not many can say the same for Boeser on the US squad. That is the point I was making.

Regardless, I do agree that a small tournament should not be a reflection or foreshadow someones NHL career. Boeser very well could have a solid career ahead of him, only time will tell.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
since when the hell is the WJC a measuring stick for a prospect? Noah Hanifan wasn't very good at all, and look at him now.

How bout Jordan Schroeder and Cody Hodgson? since wth does a good wjc = to a solid NHL career.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
since when the hell is the WJC a measuring stick for a prospect? Noah Hanifan wasn't very good at all, and look at him now.

How bout Jordan Schroeder and Cody Hodgson? since wth does a good wjc = to a solid NHL career.

I agree it can be a crapshoot but it's definitely a reason why it's so popular. Hell, even scouts take it into consideration with their reports.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I agree it can be a crapshoot but it's definitely a reason why it's so popular. Hell, even scouts take it into consideration with their reports.

The reason it's so popular is because watching top prospects for free usually doesn't happen. Not to mention, it's basically the only time before the draft where all these good prospects are playing in the same building.

The WJC is fun to watch, but I'm consistently annoyed by how much stock people put into it. And this isn't just a one way street with me, I didn't care when Forsling (when he was still Canucks property) did well there and I don't care that Juolevi did well there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Since forever? It's not the only data point, but for most prospects, it's the fastest paced, highest level of hockey that they play up to this point in their careers.

Watching top prospects play each other at such a high level can give an indication of the way their game could translate to the next level. That is what I saw as concerning about Boeser's WJC - he didn't look like a player who's game would easily translate.

I don't know, you're the first person I've seen suggest this equivalency. So maybe you can tell me?

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Since forever? It's not the only data point, but for most prospects, it's the fastest paced, highest level of hockey that they play up to this point in their careers.

Watching top prospects play each other at such a high level can give an indication of the way their game could translate to the next level. That is what I saw as concerning about Boeser's WJC - he didn't look like a player who's game would easily translate.

You said it. Can. USA and Canada pretty much always have the highest amount of top-prospects out of all the teams in the WJC. And you never see all of them performing to their expectations. Doesn't mean that those that didn't "perform" will have a harder time making it to the next level. I see it as a significant difference playing hockey for your club vs playing hockey for your national team. You barely have the same role as you're used to because of depth, and you don't have as much time building chemistry between players/finding your role.

I think you're looking into it way too much. I'm more happy that Boeser dominated the 2nd half of last season with UND, rather than him having a good/great WJC tournament.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You said it. Can. USA and Canada pretty much always have the highest amount of top-prospects out of all the teams in the WJC. And you never see all of them performing to their expectations. Doesn't mean that those that didn't "perform" will have a harder time making it to the next level. I see it as a significant difference playing hockey for your club vs playing hockey for your national team. You barely have the same role as you're used to because of depth, and you don't have as much time building chemistry between players/finding your role.

I think you're looking into it way too much. I'm more happy that Boeser dominated the 2nd half of last season with UND, rather than him having a good/great WJC tournament.

Poor WJC performance 'can' be an indication of future struggles like great NCAA/CHL performance 'can' be an indication of future success. Not sure what your point is beyond that.

Also not sure what you mean by 'perform', but he wasn't good statistically or by the actual eye test. And the excuse of chemistry doesn't hold much water, he played with Schmaltz most the tournament. He just wasn't very good at that level of play in that tournament.

I haven't caught any Sioux games recently, but the stat sheet makes it look like he's expectedly cooled off a bit?

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Poor WJC performance 'can' be an indication of future struggles like great NCAA/CHL performance 'can' be an indication of future success. Not sure what your point is beyond that.

Also not sure what you mean by 'perform', but he wasn't good statistically or by the actual eye test. And the excuse of chemistry doesn't hold much water, he played with Schmaltz most the tournament. He just wasn't very good at that level of play in that tournament.

I haven't caught any Sioux games recently, but the stat sheet makes it look like he's expectedly cooled off a bit?

We're talking about a 7 game tournament in a different environment for the players. A different system can also be a factor. 7 games (at most) is not that much of a sample size. It's nice if your prospects are doing good at the WJC, but in the end i wouldn't say it's that important. As a swede i remember Max Friberg a couple of years ago. He scored some crazy clutch goals that tournament again and again and was the topscorer with 9 goals in 6 games. Also had the 2nd most amount of points (after Kuznetsov who had 2 points more with 1 extra game). Now he's struggling big time in the AHL and that WJC tournament is basically going to be the highlight of his career (not a bad highlight, but still). Max was never considered a top prospect, and even after that tournament the odds might have been against him making it. Still, he were able to dominate against "the best players/prospects in junior", no one was better than him that tournament.

Matthews carried the US big time last year. Ron Wilson heavily relied upon his line, while the 2nd line also got some minutes. 3rd (Boesers line for the most part) and the 4th line barely got any minutes at all. Boeser had the opportunity with Matthews when DeBrincat went down. He didn't take the opportunity, he looked a little bit lost indeed. That was basically his chance in the tournament. Worth mentioning is that he never got any PP minutes as far as i know (even when he played on the 1st line). Schmaltz got those minutes though, and if i had to guess, i'd say that's were he got most of his points in the tournament as well.

I think a lot of the players on that US team weren't good enough, or at least didn't stand out even "if the stats says otherwise". Matthews dominated, Tkachuk did his job with Matthews, White filled in pretty good on that line in the end. Werenski was great, as was Nedeljkovic who was possibly the best goaltender in the tournament (i'd say Söderström though.) I have probably missed someone who was great. But for instance i didn't think the 2nd line was that good, they had their moments but overall they were nowhere near as good as the Matthews line. I wonder how many points that line had before the blowout game against Sweden which was just a gutless performance by the swedes just like the year before in the bronze-game.

He has been in a little bit of a slump as far as i know the last 4 games, yes. He should come around though, he started of the year extremely strong.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

WTG from the Canucks board watches the games says he's been hitting alot of posts, and getting shots. Hopefully he breaks out soon.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
He's struggling a bit being the go-to-guy now. But he'll learn.

Last year he was a slow starter too, he just faced really bad teams in the first few weeks. Then they went straight against, the #1 team, then against the #8 team, then against the #2 team in the nation.

The team as a whole is struggling. There are no easy games in the NCHC, this isn't the big-10 where you just rack up points against bottom teams. NCHC they play big, western style hockey. Plus the entire division is absolutely stacked. Saying all that Boeser is 4th in NCHC scoring, 1 point off 1st. So you can see how well these teams are at playing shutdown hockey.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hes gotta start getting the puck in the net this is getting worrying now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad