Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I forgot we didn't have a backup AHL goalie and you see a lot more Adirondack games for me so I'll take your word on BvB and Elson, what about the rest?

I'm not entirely sure McGrattan would accept a contract. Didn't they recently have a kid? I think he retires.

Ramo, I'd like to see return, but it depends on the cost.

Potter and Diaz are very expendable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not entirely sure McGrattan would accept a contract. Didn't they recently have a kid? I think he retires.

Ramo, I'd like to see return, but it depends on the cost.

Potter and Diaz are very expendable.
McGrattan will be looking for his best opportunity to be in the NHL over a full season. I think he signs in Edmonton to be honest. Chiarelli likes his tough guys and has ties to McGrattan through both the Senators and Bruins organizations.

Ramo I would let walk because the big cost could be losing Ortio to waivers.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Wolf is a Group VI UFA so he will likely be in the NHL or not back at all IMO. Granlund spent most of this year in the NHL, if he is back I wouldn't expect any difference next year. That is 2 additional spots, not to mention AHL teams regularly carry 15-16 forwards due to the more taxing schedule (less games, but more 2 in 2 and even some 3 in 3 sets and bus travel rather than flying).

I thought Wolf was an RFA. As for Granlund, wouldn't surprise me if he's a regular next year. If that's the case though, they definitely need to improve the center depth. Arnold is great, Reinhart is better suited for the wing, but after those two, there's really nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought Wolf was an RFA. As for Granlund, wouldn't surprise me if he's a regular next year. If that's the case though, they definitely need to improve the center depth. Arnold is great, Reinhart is better suited for the wing, but after those two, there's really nothing.
Wolf us a UFA because he is 25, has 3 years pro experience (years in the DEL count towards this) and has played minimal NHL games

And Reinhart is not better suited for the wing. Do you know when his season turned around? When they moved him back to centre.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
McGrattan will be looking for his best opportunity to be in the NHL over a full season. I think he signs in Edmonton to be honest. Chiarelli likes his tough guys and has ties to McGrattan through both the Senators and Bruins organizations.

Ramo I would let walk because the big cost could be losing Ortio to waivers.

****, forgot Ortio won't be waiver exempt anymore.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Wolf us a UFA because he is 25, has 3 years pro experience (years in the DEL count towards this) and has played minimal NHL games

And Reinhart is not better suited for the wing. Do you know when his season turned around? When they moved him back to centre.

Which was when Sven was dealt, and a spot in the top 6 opened up, was it not? I could have sworn he was getting bottom 6 minutes until that point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which was when Sven was dealt, and a spot in the top 6 opened up, was it not? I could have sworn he was getting bottom 6 minutes until that point.
It was also when Shore was recalled. Agostino & Reinhart had been the 3/4 LWers for much of the year and at the deadline they moved Reinhart back to centre and promoted both Agostino & Reinhart into the top 6. But Reinhart has always been more adept at centre, he performed much better in Abbotsford as centre rather than on the wing as well, so I think the position change is vital in his improvement. Not that his chemistry with Agostino didn't :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What I would do, assuming no trades are made:

Re-Sign
Name | Term | Dollars | AAV | Notes
Acolatse, Sena | 1 | $600,000 | $600,000 | (Two Way)
Agostino, Kenny | 1 | $700,000 | $700,000 | (Two Way)
Arnold, Bill | 1 | $700,000 | $700,000 | (Two Way)
Backlund, Mikael | 3 | $7,500,000 | $2,500,000 |
Bouma, Lance | 3 | $7,500,000 | $2,500,000 |
Elson, Turner | 1 | $600,000 | $600,000 | (Two Way)
Ferland, Michael | 1 | $700,000 | $700,000 | (Two Way)
Hanowski, Ben | 1 | $650,000 | $650,000 | (Two Way)
Jooris, Josh | 1 | $700,000 | $700,000 | (Two Way)
Ramage, John | 1 | $650,000 | $650,000 | (Two Way)
Reinhart, Max | 1 | $650,000 | $650,000 | (Two Way)
Schlemko, David | 1 | $1,200,000 | $1,200,000 |
Shore, Drew | 1 | $700,000 | $700,000 | (Two Way)
Stevenson, Dustin | 1 | - | - | AHL Deal
Thiessen, Brad | 1 | - | - | AHL Deal
Tousignant, Matthieu | 1 | - | - | AHL Deal
Vause, Taylor | 1 | - | - | AHL Deal
Wolf, David | 1 | $700,000 | $700,000 | (Two Way)
Yevenko, Oleg | 1 | - | - | AHL Deal

Release

Byron, Paul
Cundari, Mark
Diaz, Raphael
McGrattan, Brian
Potter, Corey
Ramo, Karri
Setoguchi, Devin

Lineup: Calgary

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Jiri Hudler
Sam Bennett - Mikael Backlund - David Jones
Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - Joe Colborne
Mason Raymond - Josh Jooris - Drew Shore
Brandon Bollig - Markus Granlund - Micheal Ferland
David Wolf

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Kris Russell - Dennis Wideman
David Schlemko - Deryk Engelland
__________ - __________

Jonas Hiller
Joni Ortio

I fully expect that due to injuries we will see 16 forwards & 8 defenseman on the roster for 85%+ of the season due to injures.

Lineup: Stockton

Ken Agostino - Max Reinhart - Emile Poirier
Morgan Klimchuk - Bill Arnold - Garnet Hathaway
Ben Hanowski - Turner Elson - Hunter Smith
Bryce Van Brabant - Matthieu Tousignant - Austin Carroll
__________ - Taylor Vause - __________
__________ - ___________ - __________

Tyler Wotherspoon - Kenney Morrison
Ryan Culkin - John Ramage
Keegan Kanzig - Sena Acolatse
Patrick Sieloff - Dustin Stevenson
Brett Kulak - Oleg Yevenko

Jon Gillies

You need to load up on AHL bodies. I think you need to plan for at least 18 forwards, 10 defensemen and 3 goaltenders. There are so many injuries and so many guys that get fatigued because of the combination of call-ups, bus travel with back-to-back and back-to-back-to-back situations.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Lineup: Calgary

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Jiri Hudler
Sam Bennett - Mikael Backlund - David Jones
Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - Joe Colborne
Mason Raymond - Josh Jooris - Drew Shore
Brandon Bollig - Markus Granlund - Micheal Ferland
David Wolf

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Kris Russell - Dennis Wideman
David Schlemko - Deryk Engelland
__________ - __________

Jonas Hiller
Joni Ortio

I fully expect that due to injuries we will see 16 forwards & 8 defenseman on the roster for 85%+ of the season due to injures.

Lineup: Stockton

Ken Agostino - Max Reinhart - Emile Poirier
Morgan Klimchuk - Bill Arnold - Garnet Hathaway
Ben Hanowski - Turner Elson - Hunter Smith
Bryce Van Brabant - Matthieu Tousignant - Austin Carroll
__________ - Taylor Vause - __________
__________ - ___________ - __________

Tyler Wotherspoon - Kenney Morrison
Ryan Culkin - John Ramage
Keegan Kanzig - Sena Acolatse
Patrick Sieloff - Dustin Stevenson
Brett Kulak - Oleg Yevenko

Jon Gillies

You need to load up on AHL bodies. I think you need to plan for at least 18 forwards, 10 defensemen and 3 goaltenders. There are so many injuries and so many guys that get fatigued because of the combination of call-ups, bus travel with back-to-back and back-to-back-to-back situations.

I'd prefer to see Kulak a regular in that lineup. I think Kanzig will be in the ECHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd prefer to see Kulak a regular in that lineup. I think Kanzig will be in the ECHL.
You will see the Heat use 8/9 defensemen regularly. I think Kanzig will be a major boon the the Heat to be honest. He is finally going to be playing against men and won't be getting penalties for being too strong. I think he will shock alot of people.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
You will see the Heat use 8/9 defensemen regularly. I think Kanzig will be a major boon the the Heat to be honest. He is finally going to be playing against men and won't be getting penalties for being too strong. I think he will shock alot of people.

That's fair. I really hope Kulak is used often atleast. I still think both he and Culkins can be strong #3's eventually.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's fair. I really hope Kulak is used often atleast. I still think both he and Culkins can be strong #3's eventually.
Plus with my depth chart if one of Wotherspoon or Morrison makes the club then suddenly Kulak is #8. And The Baby Flames ran thrugh alot of defensemen last year, I think Wotherspoon was the only not to be a healthy scratch. For example last year 10 different defensemen played 25+ games last year for ADK; 8 of those played 36+ (1/2 the season).

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm starting to wonder if Bennett is better suited for the wing.

Next year, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping that Bennett - Backlund - Colborne line together, but I'd still like to see Bennett develop as a center in the long term. We've got guys like Gaudreau, Colborne, Poirier, and Klimchuk as wingers. Keeping Bennett as a winger would really hurt the center depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Next year, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping that Bennett - Backlund - Colborne line together, but I'd still like to see Bennett develop as a center in the long term. We've got guys like Gaudreau, Colborne, Poirier, and Klimchuk as wingers. Keeping Bennett as a winger would really hurt the center depth.
I agree you have to try, but some guys are just better as wingers. I would also like to try swapping Colborne & Bennett and having Bennett on the right side. Can you imagine if Bennett developed into the power shoot first winger that would excel with Gaudreau and Monahan?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I agree you have to try, but some guys are just better as wingers. I would also like to try swapping Colborne & Bennett and having Bennett on the right side. Can you imagine if Bennett developed into the power shoot first winger that would excel with Gaudreau and Monahan?

If Bennett is developed as a winger, then I'd want to bring in a proper #2 centerman. ROR maybe?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
See, I kinda like the idea of having something like this eventually.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier
??? - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma - Backlund - ???
Ferland - ??? - ???

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
See, I kinda like the idea of having something like this eventually.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier
??? - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma - Backlund - ???
Ferland - ??? - ???
Monahan will be the better centre between him and Bennett. He still gets so underrated.

I think in 5 years we see something like this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - _______
Klimchuk - Bennett - Poirier
Bouma - Jankowski - _______
Ferland - Arnold - Jooris

but hope to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Poirier
Agostino - Arnold - Smith
Bouma - Jooris - Ferland

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bennett is a banger, especially effective on the forecheck. Having him play wing also allows for him to use his elite offensive skills more.

I'm not married to him doing either or, but I could see the benefits to both. If a guy like Connor is available with our pick, may not be the worst idea to take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad