Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
wrong. I added 9. jeez can't you guys follow a simple pattern?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Meh I get Ehrhoff is a free agent but if hes looking for big money and term, which I assume he is after taking a one year I'd say no.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh I get Ehrhoff is a free agent but if hes looking for big money and term, which I assume he is after taking a one year I'd say no.
He's turning 33 before the season starts, I don't think he gets more than 3 years anywhere. And if its 3 years or less, I am not overly concerned with the dollar value, but I also don't see him getting more than $5 million on the open market.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
honestly none of the FA d men seem fitting for me, I'd rather just resign Schlemko for cheap and let the prospects challenge for that bottom pairing, and hopefully Engelland will become the 7th dman

Another thought, do we buy out raymond ? or try to trade him? how much value does he have? Trade bollig as well??

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
honestly none of the FA d men seem fitting for me, I'd rather just resign Schlemko for cheap and let the prospects challenge for that bottom pairing, and hopefully Engelland will become the 7th dman

Another thought, do we buy out raymond ? or try to trade him? how much value does he have? Trade bollig as well??

I may be in the minority, but I keep Bollig. Raymond? He could probably fetch a 3rd or a 4th.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Raymond should be bought out if they can't find a trade partner. Could see the Coyotes having some interest - they need scoring forwards plus salary to reach the cap floor. Maybe even widen a deal by including some forward prospects for some of their defensive prospects.

Bollig's size+toughness probably keeps him here a little longer.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
yeah I could see Bollig staying I, could see him being the odd man out in the forward group though

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Forgot to add to the list with Bollig and Raymond. Diaz? let him walk? I like him more than Engelland, plays decent on PP has a good shot

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I may be in the minority, but I keep Bollig. Raymond? He could probably fetch a 3rd or a 4th.

I have been banging the Bollig drum all year. He's a guy you just need in your lineup; when push comes to shove... he's Shoving... I guess? Maybe punching and being a dick too.

MayRay actually looked decent in last nights game, but doesn't really bring anything to the table we truly need. I would keep him, but honestly, there's a glut of wingers in the system, and I'd rather have Poirier have his role, he's much more physical in a 2-3 tweener role. I think we should definitely look to move him for a team looking for some kind of scoring, the Dogs, Devils, Canes and Philly seem like places he might be able to fit in with. If I was Treliving, I'd move him for 5th or better... just get him off the books and clear up some roster space.

Colborne looks like he's having a bit of a coming out party this playoffs. I think that he's going to be a valuable player for us moving forward... I see him as well in a 2-3 tween role, able to fill in the higher lines in a pinch, or an anchor for the third line. One thing that Joe brings, which we are sorely lacking, is good size. Our team feels like munchkins out there against Anaheim.

If I was Calgary, I'd probably go shopping around for some top 4 defense, size especially (that knows how to use it). It's probably best to relegate someone from our middle pairing to the bottom pairing to stack the lineup (but no Wideman - Engelland for Christ sake).

We also need to build a second line, in my opinion. Right now it seems like if teams shut down the top line... We are struggling to manage any offense because of how defensively oriented line 2-4 are. I think someone like Chris Stewart would fit with this team, I think you could get him at a relatively good price (point at his postseason and point at his time in Buffalo, try not to focus on the Minny time, because he shred)

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Colborne - Bennett - Stewart
Bouma - Backlund - Jooris
Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Bollig (in for the tough nights)

I think adding some more size is never a bad thing. Getting it for free is also never a bad thing (rather than trading assets). Mind you, I'd be all for moving our first rounder this year (if we beat the Ducks) for some young help.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Completely agree, Volica.

Problem is there aren't very many good options out there in the UFA market. We're going to have to acquire a 2nd line LW/RW via trade.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Keep Raymond. If a guy like Poirer can actually earn the full time spot then trade Raymond after the start of the season. We wouldn't get much for him, may as well keep the depth. Plus we don't know what kind of chemistry the lines will form next year with a healthy lineup and Bennett being up full time.

Plus I actually thought Raymond looked good at the beginning of the season before the injury he got. Maybe he looks a bit better after a summer of R&R.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
yes.

so No to Schenn.

What about Ehrhoff?

So I know many people have been quick to dismiss the idea of Schenn, and I'm sorry to bring it up again but I've been thinking about it, and doing more research on it. I believe that our biggest need on the backend is a big physical dman. We have plenty of offense, and decent defense (when Gio is in and if not its not so good), although both Engelland and Wideman have their issues in the d zone.

I picked a couple of teams in our division that are considered cup contenders most years (although L.A didn't make playoffs this year in order to compare physicality on the backend. Looking at the 3 teams top 7 dmen it is apparent the Flames will need to become more physical on defense to compete with Anaheim and L.A (especially with the new playoff format).

Calgary- Engelland - 132 hits in 76 GP Giordano- 59 hits in 61 GP
Wideman- 94 hits in 80 GP Schlemko- 45 hits in 44 GP
Russell- 61 hits in 79 GP Brodie- 27 hits in 81 GP
Diaz- 24 hits in 56 GP
* Total of 442 hits by top 7 defeseemen

Anaheim- Stoner- 128 hits in 69 GP Lindholm- 59 hits in 78 GP
Beauchemin- 105 hits in 64 GP Despres- 233 hits in 75 GP
Vatanen- 75 hits in 67 GP Fowler-47 hits in 80 GP
Wisniewski- 115 hits in69 GP
* Total of 762 hits by top 7 defensemen

L.A- Greene- 209 hits in 82 GP McNabb- 175 hits in 71 GP
Regehr- 203 hits in 67 GP Doughty- 152 hits in 82 GP
Muzzin- 186 hits in 76 GP Martinez- 95 hits in 66 GP
Sekera- 59 hits in 73 GP
* Total of 1,079 hits from top 7 defensemen

Also consider the fact that both these teams have a huge forward group that require big, strong dmen to shut them down.

Schenn was just a suggestion for who could help us with the size/physicality issue while also improving slightly in our own zone. Schenn had 194 hits in just 58 gp. He was also -2 compared to Engelland's -16 and was on a team with a substantially worse gf/ga ratio. I still do believe he is an upgrade over Engelland and although Engelland is our most physical dman, imo he is also the least effective overall and if you watch him closely he struggles in the dzone as does Wideman but Engelland also doesn't have even close to the offense Wideman does.

Schenn could be had for relatively cheap (I know some guys on the Flyers board said a bottom 6 fwd would do or a 3rd or 4th round pick). I am open to other players and my heart is in no way set on Schenn but he was the first that came to mind that strengthened our need as I identified it and was relatively cheap to acquire. However it is obvious we need size and physicality on the backend. What other guys would ft the bill?

I also realize the hits are subjective argument will come around but even that won't cause such a differential in numbers.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Schenn is an absolute disaster. He's been on the down slope long before Berube.

Not to mention a bottom pairing of Engelland-Schenn would be a complete horror show; think Engelland-Smid from the first third of the season but worse.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So apparently on the main board, Granlund gets us Gormley. He's regressed this past year somewhat, but I do that deal all day.

And no Schenn isn't an absolute disaster. I'd venture to say I've watched Philly play as much as anyone on our board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad