Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Do we sign E.Roy? He's played decent this year although an overager. Much improved, if he was more physical probably would have an elc by now. Deadline is June 1, i think?

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
No offence but I don't think that's a great way to look at it. It doesn't make sense, to me at least, to not try and upgrade the team just because we have too many players for the number of roster spots. In fact I look at it the opposite way. Why not package a few of these guys to address a need or just get an upgrade. You can always sign depth guys in free agency. This is why I think guys like Granlund, and Reinhart are expendable now as I don't see how the fit into the future where as you could grab someone who does using them. I could be way off in my thinking though.

To me, I'd rather hold onto the players because you never know when they may turn up their gear, rather than do the package scenario you suggest, and then end up with a crap tonne of injuries next year and have almost no depth, forcing young players that aren't ready to play key roles.
It's good to have depth.
The only guys I see as true trade bait are Raymond, Smid(if he ever plays again), and maybe Granlund, maybe. I'd rather hold onto him though, for now anyways.

Aug 21, 2014
Do we sign E.Roy? He's played decent this year although an overager. Much improved, if he was more physical probably would have an elc by now. Deadline is June 1, i think?

I don't know about an ELC. I'd do a ECHL/AHL deal. That bridge helped Kulak.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm fine with letting him walk. He's pretty low on our depth charts like Coda Gordon was. I'm more excited about guys like Ramage, Culkin, Kulak, Sieloff, Hickey, Rushan and Mattson.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm fine with letting him walk. He's pretty low on our depth charts like Coda Gordon was. I'm more excited about guys like Ramage, Culkin, Kulak, Sieloff, Hickey, Rushan and Mattson.

Yeah with Culkin and Kulak taking a step forward, at least more then I was expecting and the rest you mentioned on track it makes a pure offensive defensemen prospect expendable. Not to mention if we create a package this summer for an upgrade at D he will be forever buried.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah with Culkin and Kulak taking a step forward, at least more then I was expecting and the rest you mentioned on track it makes a pure offensive defensemen prospect expendable. Not to mention if we create a package this summer for an upgrade at D he will be forever buried.

Agree on all points. I didn't even mention Morrison or Kanzig either.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Does Granlund's value go up if we package him to Minnesota for Dumba?

Dumba's value's obviously gone up in the last half of the year, but if we can squeeze a bit more value out of Granlund going to play with his bro, it might be worth trying to send him with both our 2nds?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Does Granlund's value go up if we package him to Minnesota for Dumba?

Dumba's value's obviously gone up in the last half of the year, but if we can squeeze a bit more value out of Granlund going to play with his bro, it might be worth trying to send him with both our 2nds?

I wouldn't mind Dumba, but I am not offering 2 seconds + Granlund.

It's either Granlund + a 3rd (which I expect them not to do) so no to Dumba for me.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

It's either Granlund + a 3rd (which I expect them not to do) so no to Dumba for me.

I'd rather not give both 2nds either, but Minnesota's not going to just give him away. But he is the exact player we'd hope one of those two 2nds turns into (even who we hope our 1st turns into!).

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

I'd be amazed if Minny had any interest in moving Dumba. I expect he'll be solidly entrenched in their top-4 for years.

If they were inclinded to miove him, it would be in a bigger package for a pretty good forward. Dumba + in that situation.

I forgot that Granlund was even playing in the Minny/Hawks series, he was so invisible. I doubt that they covet the lesser Granlund.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'd be amazed if Minny had any interest in moving Dumba. I expect he'll be solidly entrenched in their top-4 for years.

If they were inclinded to miove him, it would be in a bigger package for a pretty good forward. Dumba + in that situation.

I forgot that Granlund was even playing in the Minny/Hawks series, he was so invisible. I doubt that they covet the lesser Granlund.

I wouldn't imagine they covet him either, but if we can get more for him going to Minny because his brother is there, we should explore that. They just happen to have something WE covet, a young RH defensemen. Makes sense to use Granlund in the package.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
this is what I'd do...

re-sign Backlund, Jooris, Shore, Bouma, Ferland, Schlemko, Arnold, Wolf, Hanowski, Agostino, Reinhart, Ramage, Byron

let go Diaz, Potter, Ramo, BvB, McGrattan, Elson, Thiessen

sign Justin Williams

trade Raymond for anything

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Williams
Bouma - Granlund - Colborne
Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Byron, Bollig

Brodie - Giordano
Russell - Wideman
Schlemko - Engelland
Wotherspoon/Ramage

Hiller
Ortio

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
this is what I'd do...

re-sign Backlund, Jooris, Shore, Bouma, Ferland, Schlemko, Arnold, Wolf, Hanowski, Agostino, Reinhart, Ramage, Byron

sign Justin Williams

Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Byron, Bollig

Brodie - Giordano
Russell - Wideman
Schlemko - Engelland
Wotherspoon/Ramage

Hiller
Ortio

I'd be fine with all of this, with the exception of Van Brabant, unless there just isn't a spot for him in Stockton. Also, I think Byron is gone. There is no place for him here now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
this is what I'd do...

sign Justin Williams

Ferland - Stajan - Jones
Byron, Bollig

Brodie - Giordano
Russell - Wideman
Schlemko - Engelland
Wotherspoon/Ramage

Hiller
Ortio
Van Brabant & Elson should definitely be back. Elson really broke out this year and Van Brabant had an injury plagued year and was playing on the 4th line. He was pretty good before his injury. Doesn't really make sense to give up on his after 1 pro season.

I would even hold onto Thiessen (to an AHL deal) as it will be good to have a veteran backup for Gillies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Van Brabant & Elson should definitely be back. Elson really broke out this year and Van Brabant had an injury plagued year and was playing on the 4th line. He was pretty good before his injury. Doesn't really make sense to give up on his after 1 pro season.

I would even hold onto Thiessen (to an AHL deal) as it will be good to have a veteran backup for Gillies.

I think Klimchuk basically takes Elsons spot.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Just trying to think of what the lineup would look like...

Agostino - Reinhart - Hathaway
Klimchuk - Granlund - Poirier
Hanowski - Arnold - Wolf
Van Brabant - ??? - Smith

Wotherspoon - Morrison
Kulak - Culkin
Ramage - Sieloff

Gillies
???

A lot of these wingers can be swapped around. I'd like to see them try to sign someone like Ben Street or Blair Jones again, since there is a bit of a hole at center, and the lack of the veteran presence really showed.

Edit: I write that Klimchuk will likely be there, then forget to slot him in.
Edit: Put Klimchuk in, moved Granlund to center.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

I forgot we didn't have a backup AHL goalie and you see a lot more Adirondack games for me so I'll take your word on BvB and Elson, what about the rest?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Klimchuk basically takes Elsons spot.
Wolf is a Group VI UFA so he will likely be in the NHL or not back at all IMO. Granlund spent most of this year in the NHL, if he is back I wouldn't expect any difference next year. That is 2 additional spots, not to mention AHL teams regularly carry 15-16 forwards due to the more taxing schedule (less games, but more 2 in 2 and even some 3 in 3 sets and bus travel rather than flying).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark