Speculation: Rumours and trade proposals

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I don't have any faith in someone from the Ads giving this team the kind of boost we are talking about.

Also, St. Louis is the deepest and best team in the central at almost every position. The weakest spot they had was at center and they addressed it.

Poile deserves some patience, but at the moment, they current state of the team isn't great, especially at forward.

Why do people think Neal wouldn't have stayed more than one year? He could've signed with us again... or he should've been traded if we weren't planning on keeping him before the expansion draft.

I think you are in love with the Blues for some reason. After their top line, they have some decent players, but Sobotka, Pajaarvi, Upshall, Brodziak, etc-all plugs. Their D is ok. After their top pair and J-Bo, there is a drop off. In goal they are solid. Sounds like a lot like the Preds......

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think you are in love with the Blues for some reason. After their top line, they have some decent players, but Sobotka, Pajaarvi, Upshall, Brodziak, etc-all plugs. Their D is ok. After their top pair and J-Bo, there is a drop off. In goal they are solid. Sounds like a lot like the Preds......

Love isn't the right word. Grudging respect is more accurate. They have two of the best blue liners in the game in Paryako and Pietrangelo.

They have a few great wings as well and have better center depth than we do. They are a more complete team I think from top to bottom, especially down the middle.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Let's just bring this bad boy full circle and trade Jarnkrok for Shipachyov. Then, through a little revisionist history, Jarnkrok was an unfortunate casualty of the expansion draft and we got a 2nd line center for an expiring contract in Neal.

Course I don't see Poile having any interest in an unproven 30 year old that didn't crack an expansion team's roster but then we did sign Steve Moses to a contract.
Presuming Vegas is getting closer to just terminating his contract and letting him sail back to Russia, I doubt you have to give up anything like Jarnkrok to get him. Maybe a conditional 7th round pick or something.

I don't know how long Bonino is still out, but to me, go ahead sing the song, get Shipachyov in for at least that much of a tryout. The worst case is we end up terminating his contract instead of Vegas doing it, which isn't much of a downside. Him not cracking the roster is bogus if you ask me. They are playing a certain style of hockey that is not optimal for him, but without their unlikely success and his waiver status being what it is, he would not have actually been marginalized like this. Watching him in the last couple WCs, he's not as bad a player as they are making him out to be. Unless there are some off-ice/behind the scenes issues in play here, it would be a shame if he doesn't get a chance somewhere.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm gonna guess it's a matter of not lining up with the system, his waiver status, and probably some attitude issue going on.

Frankly if he does have an attitude issue I don't blame him, because it looks like he was sold one thing and then given another. I have a strange feeling he was told he would be the #1 center, and then because of the system it just never happened.

Sometimes players are just bitter little children, but I have a strange feeling he got bent over on this deal.

If you are Vegas it is an equally bad deal because FA's will look at that in the future and probably be a bit warry.

Reactions: Tex76

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Love isn't the right word. Grudging respect is more accurate. They have two of the best blue liners in the game in Paryako and Pietrangelo.

They have a few great wings as well and have better center depth than we do. They are a more complete team I think from top to bottom, especially down the middle.
This isn't really different from any of the prior seasons though. Until they actually get over the hump in the postseason I'm not convinced that roster (or Yeo) is capable of it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm gonna guess it's a matter of not lining up with the system, his waiver status, and probably some attitude issue going on.

Frankly if he does have an attitude issue I don't blame him, because it looks like he was sold one thing and then given another. I have a strange feeling he was told he would be the #1 center, and then because of the system it just never happened.

Sometimes players are just bitter little children, but I have a strange feeling he got bent over on this deal.

If you are Vegas it is an equally bad deal because FA's will look at that in the future and probably be a bit warry.
This. It's not totally impossible that there is an "off-ice issue" of some sort, but nobody has ferreted that out so far, so let's ignore it. On the surface, Shipachyov was a world-class player sought by many NHL teams. He got signed to that contract for real reasons. That was the market that his performance set. He has earned a certain amount of "attitude" - where his attitude that he's a world-class player, probably sold a likelihood of playing a top-6 role, and sacrificed an Olympic year for this opportunity... it's earned, and if they want to treat him like any generic overseas roll of the dice or 20-year old waiver eligible demotee then it's the team in the wrong here. He's not just any player, and he got that contract precisely because of that.

Reactions: Scoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I know its young into the season but im thinking we have to make some moves for more offense on our team. Besides the jofa line our other lines looks very average if not below average. And i dont like splitting the jofa line up to spark another player because it usually dont work. Smith is the only player who looks good outside the jofa line. How can we get jvr in here or duchene? Outside of josi and pk i would trade anyone on our defense because to be honest they look average as well. You can only blame the goalie so much before you look how poorly our defense is playing. Toronto is desperate need of a defenseman who can we give to get jvr and kadri over here? Jvr kadri and smith would look great. Emilen fabbro aberg 1st for jvr and kadri? Just shooting stuff out there

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I know its young into the season but im thinking we have to make some moves for more offense on our team. Besides the jofa line our other lines looks very average if not below average. And i dont like splitting the jofa line up to spark another player because it usually dont work. Smith is the only player who looks good outside the jofa line. How can we get jvr in here or duchene? Outside of josi and pk i would trade anyone on our defense because to be honest they look average as well. You can only blame the goalie so much before you look how poorly our defense is playing. Toronto is desperate need of a defenseman who can we give to get jvr and kadri over here? Jvr kadri and smith would look great. Emilen fabbro aberg 1st for jvr and kadri? Just shooting stuff out there

There's no way we should trade Ekholm.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There's no way we should trade Ekholm.
Was about to say the same thing. I'd trade PK before I traded him as crazy as that would sound to lots of people.

Here is the thing, I don't mind picking up a JVR, but I'm not giving an arm and a leg for him because he could be nothing more than a rental. Frankly I think that is why Toronto won't end up trading him this season, he will be worth more to them than someone will offer.

Our other problem is this, if you trade one of the big 4 who is going to play D? We are already struggling to fill the 4th slot and our 3rd no matter who it is has been victimized all season long. We've reached the point where we can't afford to trade a roster Dman, or at least not one anyone wants.

I'm ok with trading the prospects though. Still think they need to give Kamenev a shot whether he deserves it or not.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Was about to say the same thing. I'd trade PK before I traded him as crazy as that would sound to lots of people.

Here is the thing, I don't mind picking up a JVR, but I'm not giving an arm and a leg for him because he could be nothing more than a rental. Frankly I think that is why Toronto won't end up trading him this season, he will be worth more to them than someone will offer.

Our other problem is this, if you trade one of the big 4 who is going to play D? We are already struggling to fill the 4th slot and our 3rd no matter who it is has been victimized all season long. We've reached the point where we can't afford to trade a roster Dman, or at least not one anyone wants.

I'm ok with trading the prospects though. Still think they need to give Kamenev a shot whether he deserves it or not.

Actually if Ellis' future isn't certain, I wouldn't trade PK before Ekholm, that gives us one of Carrier or Fabbro as our best RHD if they even get to that stage, and that's not a pretty sight.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not trading any of our top-4 they got us to the Finals last year we shouldn't even talk about it.
Yeah, this is a non-starter to me, remember when Josi got hurt too? It was not a good feeling. When our 3rd pair becomes our 2nd pair, things would go downhill fast for the team.

Fortunately the team has another area of strength to deal from, and that's prospects. If they can find the right deal there, ok, but that's about the only bait I'd be dangling.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If it's for a center then definetely Kamenev can be on the table as he wouldn't have any room nonetheless.

For me, Girard is the only untouchable D prospect unless something crazy comes to the table. Everyone else is available.

Tolvanen is as untouchable as they come.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
If it's for a center then definetely Kamenev can be on the table as he wouldn't have any room nonetheless.

For me, Girard is the only untouchable D prospect unless something crazy comes to the table. Everyone else is available.

Tolvanen is as untouchable as they come.

He better be on the team next year, period

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
We have to get better offensively. All the people that were saying they were glad we protected jarnkrok who is on the 3rd/4th line should put their foot in their mouth. James neal is needed on this team but thats sour grapes unless poile could work a deal to get him back. But we need a better 2nd scoring line. Maybe we get better but i would throw aberg out there to get better scoring

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
We have to get better offensively. All the people that were saying they were glad we protected jarnkrok who is on the 3rd/4th line should put their foot in their mouth. James neal is needed on this team but thats sour grapes unless poile could work a deal to get him back. But we need a better 2nd scoring line. Maybe we get better but i would throw aberg out there to get better scoring
aberg has minimal to zero value

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Turris was headed to Nashville in the discussions according to Friedman (Who hasn't been very reliable the past year or so, but it does make sense)

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta

Turris was headed to Nashville in the discussions according to Friedman (Who hasn't been very reliable the past year or so, but it does make sense)

I'm not cool with Girard being traded for Duchene. I feel like Girard's value could only get higher, and I really like him on this team.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I'm all for it. People get too attached to prospects, I remember when Jon Blum was untouchable too, you never know with young guys and it's definitely worth it for a mid twenties borderline #1 center. Duchene has more even strength points this season than anyone on the Preds, by far. I'd move Girard for Duchene or Turris (if he's re-signing) and not think about it for a second.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm not cool with Girard being traded for Duchene. I feel like Girard's value could only get higher, and I really like him on this team.
But we also have Carrier, Fabbro, Allard and even guys like Dougherty. There is room for maybe one going forward. If you can turn one of these guys from a 5/6 defenseman playing 12 minutes a night (which is what they'll be here) into a top 6 center/winger for us (like a Turris/Duchene) over the long-term it's a huge upgrade and excellent asset management.

I say this as someone who really likes Girard's game.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I should've specified that as well, whoops.

Also, if Girard was on the table in this deal (which he likely was) then it would make sense why Poile and co don't want to play him much, since him still having all of his ELC years would make him a more attractive piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00