Speculation: Rumours and trade proposals

HITMAN88

Jun 29, 2011
Sandanski
Seems like everyone is concerned about breaking the chemistry between the top 6 if Poile trade for that ''top 6 winger''

What about a guy like Boone Jenner? He can do it all - he can play in the top 6, he can play in the bottom 6, hes physical and can play the wing or centre(if needed)
Its not like Kane/Hoffman/Pacioretty that you just should play them in the top 6 and break the lines.
Compared to the other names out there he won't cost that much and is also a RFA after this season.
There are rumors that Jenner is available but they are still in the playoff race. Even if they are still in the race on Monday that doesn't mean that the teams can't make a hockey deal like -
(Johansen-Jones)

So Poile made a move for a player exactly I thought hes gonna make. Hartman is basically a clone to Jenner :)

The price is high but Hartman is still very young and there is a chance he becomes(if given a chance in that deep forward group) a consistent 25-30 goal scorer.

Reactions: TennesseeTolvanen

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Don’t want to link it but in the last 31 thoughts article friedman thinks we were seriously in on Karlsson not just amping up the price. Something around Ellis maybe? Or if we planned on signing Karlsson would Subban go the other way?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tbh I don't know who it would be, Ellis probably fits the most just because of contract status, but then Subban does because of the Cap hit.

It's also possible Poile was simply trying to pull off something crazy where he could add him to the current 4, which could have possibly been the best D put together.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
I hope the third D pairing is not the Preds's undoing in the playoffs. It was a major factor in the SCF last year (other than injuries of course).

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Interesting note...

In Pierre LeBrun's must-read piece on David Poile this morning in the Athletic, he asked Poile about Karlsson, being careful not to use any names -- Poile responded similarly, but basically confirmed that they had interest and looked to see if it was something they could do, saying something along the lines of "we rule out players that don't fit what we're doing, but any extraordinary player that fits in, we're going to be interested"

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah Poile was basically saying if there's a chance to get one of the best players in the world then you have to at least listen.

"So, let me get this straight. You want a meet and greet with Carrie, Matt Irwin, and some Hattie B's to go for the plane ride home? For EK? And we can get Vegas to retain some salary?"

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I know there's no post limit for threads anymore, but should we close some of these ongoing threads in the offseason and start fresh for each new season? Sometime between the end of the playoffs and the start of the draft? Just a thought

Yes I believe we are going to. Nice to have a fresh start every now and then.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Hi all, been a while since I posted but have been reading in.

Im really loving this team (weird if I wasnt) and not sure Id want to do anything. But considering Poiles comments regarding us being interested if any extraordinary players were available, do you think we will talk to Tavares in the summer? What would need to happen for us to be able to do this signing?

I guess theres a small chance of him comming here since there will be alot of teams going for him, many of them with much larger needs than us. If he chooses not to stay with the Islanders the bidding war may get really crazy.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

Im really loving this team (weird if I wasnt) and not sure Id want to do anything. But considering Poiles comments regarding us being interested if any extraordinary players were available, do you think we will talk to Tavares in the summer? What would need to happen for us to be able to do this signing?

I guess theres a small chance of him comming here since there will be alot of teams going for him, many of them with much larger needs than us. If he chooses not to stay with the Islanders the bidding war may get really crazy.

We would need to offload a bunch of salary. How much exactly depends on how much the cap rises next year, but even if it rises $5 million signing Tavares would make resigning Ellis/Josi really tight. Johansen would likely be the guy we'd try to get rid of.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
We would need to offload a bunch of salary. How much exactly depends on how much the cap rises next year, but even if it rises $5 million signing Tavares would make resigning Ellis/Josi really tight. Johansen would likely be the guy we'd try to get rid of.

Yea and even though Tavares is probably a tier above RyJo Im not sure Id be willing to sacrifize him considering his age and contract length with us.

The second option would be to sacrifize Ellis and Turris which Im not sure about either even though a 1-2 punch with Tavares and RyJo would be amazing.

What should be considered though is if we somehow manage to sign him any ”overweight” could be used to bring in some huge ELC talent.

Then again, any feeling for the roster may change come playoff :)

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

I would think the only way JT ends up here is he's willing to take less than full market to be on what would be a truly loaded team. We'd have to trade Bonino for sure and maybe Jarnkrok or Smith to make room and still have hope of resigning Ellis and Josi down the road.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Yeah, I looked at the cap a bit and to be able to sign Tavares for say 12 mill we'd need to shed about 8-9 mill cap from our current roster assuming the cap goes to 76,5 next year.

So, for next year we could basically if we traded Bones and Smith roll with something as crazy as below:

Forsberg - Tavares - Tolvanen
Fiala - Johansen - Arvidsson
Hartman - Turris - Järnkrok
Sissons - Fisher - Watson

Ekholm - Subban
Josi - Ellis
Emelin - Irwin

Rinne

Another option would be to trade Turris and Ellis in a package for some ELC stud defenceman to be able to get past the Ellis extension.

Forsberg - Tavares - Tolvanen
Fiala - Johansen - Arvidson
Hartman - Bonino - Smith
Sissons - Fisher - Järnkrok

Ekholm - Subban
Josi - Dahlin :)
Emelin - Irwin

Rinne
Saros

And then again, the best option might be to just stay put and just focus on what we got. So many options with this team.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I think the move would have to be Johansen straight up for a signed Tavares. Preds do it because they are upgrading 1C. Isles do it because they get their own 1C back and he is signed long term instead of losing J.T. for nothing. You can still build a pretty good team with RyJo and Barzal as your top 2 centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->