Speculation: Rumours and trade proposals

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Emelin has a 3 million dollar cap hit and bring a physical d to play with Reilly. The leafs are losing jvr next year anyway. If a 1st gets him id do that as well. But the leafs need defenseman too

We're without Ellis and we don't even want Emelin. I doubt any team is desperate enough for Emelin that they would give us a 50-60 point winger with only a 2nd round pick as compensation.

monix11

Jun 21, 2017
The further we go into the season the more clear it is that Poile made some mistakes. He had a throw back Barry Trotz themed offseason. It was a very schizophrenic approach when compared to the most recent off-seasons.

I like the Hartnell signing. I’m fine with Bonino.

The Jarnkrok decision, Neal departure, and resting on his laurels offensively was a poor group of decisions.

Still some good moves, but on the whole, this was a hurtful offseason.

Wut.....

You do realize that if they kept Neal over Jarnkrok that would've given Poile and the Preds zero flexibility in upgrading the roster in-season or at the deadline, right?

See where they are at the deadline and then you can judge whether or not it was a hurtful offseason. The plan has always been to add another big piece-- i.e. Duchene or Turris-- neither could even happen if the Preds kept Neal (who walks after the season anyways).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Emelin has a 3 million dollar cap hit and bring a physical d to play with Reilly. The leafs are losing jvr next year anyway. If a 1st gets him id do that as well. But the leafs need defenseman too

If they are after a Dman in a trade for JVR they can find a much better one than Emelin. Emelin was basically this year's reclamation project and he looks like most of them we've tried over the years.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Wut.....

You do realize that if they kept Neal over Jarnkrok that would've given Poile and the Preds zero flexibility in upgrading the roster in-season or at the deadline, right?

See where they are at the deadline and then you can judge whether or not it was a hurtful offseason. The plan has always been to add another big piece-- i.e. Duchene or Turris-- neither could even happen if the Preds kept Neal (who walks after the season anyways).

Let’s take this one point at a time...

The Preds currently sit at 70.3M, which would be basically 4.7M under the cap. Let’s say you remove Jarnkrok and add Neal back in, that gives you 1.7M of cap space.

Now, let’s also assume that we wouldn’t have gotten a defenseman as expensive as Emelin if we had gone that route, maybe say 1M or so in free agency and also assume one of our current wingers like Aberg is traded or with the Admirals. That’s an additional 2.65M right there which added together with the 1.7M is almost 4.3M in cap space.

Pretty much exactly where we are right now.

For the record, Turris makes 3.5M, easily fitting under that cap hit. With Duchene, salary can be retained for a price, but it can happen. As it stands today, we can’t even afford Duchene’s cap hit without sending money back or them retaining so it’s a wash in either scenario.

Why is everyone automatically assuming Neal would walk after next season? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

On a different note, it sounds like the Preds didn’t pull the trigger, not the other two teams. Maybe it was a Turris extension, who knows. Depending on what we had to give up, it probably would’ve been worth the risk to see if the team, city and organization could sell him on playing here for the rest of his career.

Turris has averaged .588 points per game which is significantly less than Duchene’s .73, but much better than Bonino’s .45

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Man, would it hurt to lose Girard as he's gonna be a star in this league but the truth is that he's a 5-6D in this team when Ellis comes back. We're also set on D for a few years so there's really no open spots. We also have decent prospects in the pipeline so it won't hurt that much. Although, I'd like to see Girard more so we really know what we have in him.

In fact, I'd like to see Kamenev as well or/and Pettersson. Maybe they're nothing but as for Kam I don't think he can develop a whole lot in the AHL anymore. And if we're getting a center we have no use for him and it'd be nice to get value for him in a trade.

It would be nice to lock down the 2C position and think that we'd be a contender for a looong time with only question mark being in the crease. Rinne still has a couple of years in him, and Saros might become a starter. But I'm not that worried about it you can get good goalies these days for pretty much nothing.

We'd have Joey, the guy we traded for, Bonino and Jarny or Sissy down the middle. We'd have Fiala, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Smith, Tolvanen on the wing and Hartnell for a year or two. And the probably the best top-4 in the league. Man, we'd be solid. Not that we aren't now, but that could really put us over the top and allow us to become the "elite" team we've discussed.

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That 3 way trade was ridiculous. We give up a ton of prospects and picks for 3/4 of a season of Kyle Turris. Turris is a decent player but not “the guy” that puts us over the top.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Gotta think Poile wanted Turris extended had the deal gone through. That might have been the killer there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That 3 way trade was ridiculous. We give up a ton of prospects and picks for 3/4 of a season of Kyle Turris. Turris is a decent player but not “the guy” that puts us over the top.
Whether it's Turris, or even the extra year bump to Duchene, it's still all ridiculous pricetags, sounds like. Their teams can keep waiting. The Sens don't want to pay Turris $6-7M, but they can wait a little longer until the threat of losing him for nothing crystallizes further if they want. Turris and Duchene are both good players, but neither puts any team over the top. Sounds like Poile continues to be sensibly wary on these guys.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I don't know if Duchene was a target once Girard and a first last year wasn't good enough

For all the grief that many gave Sakic -- including us on the Preds board at HF -- waiting it all out until the right offer came along worked. They got a huge haul for a guy that ultimately didn't want to be there and hadn't for a long time. Many of us said that no offer would come along that was better than the rumored Girard\Fabbro\1st deal we reportedly offered...the end result was a deal that wasn't just a little better, but significantly.

With all that said, in my opinion, the only team that doesn't really seem to have "won" the trade is Ottawa. Very steep price for a lateral\very slight improvement and kicking a contract dispute down the road a couple of years -- to a time when EK and Stone are both UFA as well.

Reactions: token grinder

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
For all the grief that many gave Sakic -- including us on the Preds board at HF -- waiting it all out until the right offer came along worked. They got a huge haul for a guy that ultimately didn't want to be there and hadn't for a long time. Many of us said that no offer would come along that was better than the rumored Girard\Fabbro\1st deal we reportedly offered...the end result was a deal that wasn't just a little better, but significantly.

With all that said, in my opinion, the only team that doesn't really seem to have "won" the trade is Ottawa. Very steep price for a lateral\very slight improvement and kicking a contract dispute down the road a couple of years -- to a time when EK and Stone are both UFA as well.

It just depends on perspective I guess. Sakic got a ton of stuff, but he didn't really get what he was after. When it was all said and done he ended up taking a quantity over quality deal just like most of us said he would. Lets be honest, if none of those pieces he got or picks turn into anything, which is a real possibility, will people look back and say it was a good deal or will people say he made a bad trade? My guess is Girard is the only one that has any real shot of doing much of anything, so if in 5 years that is the only tangible piece gained I'm gonna say most will reflect on it as being a bad deal.

Personally from Colorado's perspective I'm not all that impressed tbh. They got a box of stuff, whether any of it is worth 2 cents remains to be seen.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

You have to think with them getting one goal from the SCF last year that getting Duchene puts them in "go for broke" mode this year and next, and they will deal with contract hell when it comes

What's amazing is pole keeps adding pieces and yet there isn't really a contract doomsday on the horizon for us. The only scenario that makes it tough is if Rinne wins a Cup or Vezina and wants another 7 mil for 3 or 4 years

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Ryan Ellis.
And Rinne's 7M comes off the books at the exact same time along with $1,166,667 from Stalberg's buy out. That's 8.1M alone there to re-sign Ellis and maybe Rinne to a cheaper 1-2 year deal.

Fiala's deal is up at the same time, that's the one that may break us depending on his performance the rest of this year and next.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I love Ellis but to be honest I'm hoping an up and coming D man makes him expendable.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
This team should have no problem making Ellis fit.

If we do, you can easily free up some cap space by dumping one of our under performing forwards.

I don’t think Fiala is going to get a huge raise at this point unless he really turns this around in the next 12 months. Certainly possible.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Am I wrong in assuming that if Hartnell,Weber and Ellis all come back around the same time and there are no other significant injuries, Poile would either need to trade someone or send someone down and expose them to waivers? If so the most likely candidates would be Irwin, Bitetto, Weber, Aberg and McLeod, all of which would likely be picked up if put on waivers and I just can't see Poile giving one of them away. None of them by themselves would return much, but could get you a late round pick to maybe use at the deadline. Or he could try and package a couple of them with a lower prospect to get an upgrade.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Am I wrong in assuming that if Hartnell,Weber and Ellis all come back around the same time and there are no other significant injuries, Poile would either need to trade someone or send someone down and expose them to waivers? If so the most likely candidates would be Irwin, Bitetto, Weber, Aberg and McLeod, all of which would likely be picked up if put on waivers and I just can't see Poile giving one of them away. None of them by themselves would return much, but could get you a late round pick to maybe use at the deadline. Or he could try and package a couple of them with a lower prospect to get an upgrade.
The only one of that entire heap of nothin' I see worth keeping is Bitetto, and in his case only barely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad