Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Aston-Reese Signs with PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It's John Tavares. If he wants to sign here. Take him.

Build around McD, JT, Drai and Lucic up front. We got size, speed skill all covered.

fill rest of the forward group with Slepychevs and Maroons and still look better than the Penguins.

Lucic-Tavares-Puljujarvi would be a darn good 2nd line for the next 5 yrs.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
No, that wouldn't get him. None of those pieces come close to what Tavares is as a player, and what he means to the Islanders organization. Would be franchise suicide.

Would only happen if he quietly told the organization that he absolutely will not sign there.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Tavares will have to fight RNH for his spot.

Joking aside. Tavares has one year left under his contract lol RNH and Ebs are more than enough. Then sign Oshie

And screw ourselves with the cap. :sarcasm:

Tavares and Oshie are each going to make a lot more than 6 million.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It depends on what his contract asking price is. If we can get him to sign for ~$7.5 million AAV then you do that. Deal RNH ++ to land him, sign Leon to a max deal of $6 million AAV and then deal Eberle to shed some salary.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Do you think Nuge, Eberle and a 1st would get Tavares?

It would only get JT if he publically announced he wanted a trade or said that he had no intention of resigning. Something he would never do.
I would do that instantly though on the condition he signs an 8 year contract.

Maroon - McDavid - Drai
Lucic - Tavares - Puljujarvi

Almost as good as
Hall - RNH - Eberle
MPS - Gagner - Omark

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Hahaha, you guys really think JT's coming to Edmonton?! He's already bound to join his childhood favorite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs like every other Ontario born player.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hahaha, you guys really think JT's coming to Edmonton?! He's already bound to join his childhood favorite team, the Toronto Maple Leafs like every other Ontario born player.

:laugh: Maybe, but I don't think the Isles will trade Tavares for Marincin, Hyman, Soshnikov and 1st, so the Leafs might be in trouble there.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's John Tavares. If he wants to sign here. Take him.

Agreed. Was just coming in here to see what the interest would be for him. If Pittsburgh can afford Malkin (9.5), Crosby (8.7), Kessel (6.8), Letang (7.25), Fleury (5.25) I don't see why we can't with McDavid (9-12), Draisaitl (6-7), Tavares (8-9), Lucic (6). You've got the d-core and goaltending locked up on cheap deals minus the one remaining spot on 2nd pairing. Take out one of RNH/Eberle or both and it's doable.

We would have to send off Nuge, a 1st, + most likely, but if he signs that's an easy deal to make IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would go allllll in on Tavares. Maybe even something like

Ryan Nugent Hopkins + Jesse Puljujarvi + Beniot Pouliot (even out salary) + EDM 1st 2018

for

John Tavares + Travis Hamonic

After the expansion draft is done.

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic Tavares Eberle
Caggiula Desharnias Kassian
Slepy Letestu Khaira

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Hamonic
Nurse Benning

After this season I think it's time to get real serious about going for a Cup, not just being happy to be in the dance.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I would go allllll in on Tavares. Maybe even something like

Ryan Nugent Hopkins + Jesse Puljujarvi + Beniot Pouliot (even out salary) + EDM 1st 2018

for

John Tavares + Travis Hamonic

After the expansion draft is done.

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic Tavares Eberle
Caggiula Desharnias Kassian
Slepy Letestu Khaira

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Hamonic
Nurse Benning

After this season I think it's time to get real serious about going for a Cup, not just being happy to be in the dance.
I didn't realize the NHL is abolishing the salary cap :shakehead

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavid-Drai-Tavares down the middle would an incredible C depth. Each line has a driver. We can cheap out on the wingers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think Lander will dominate in the KHL. Rumour is hell be the highest paid foreign player. One of the best AAAA players ever. An absolute beast in the AHL and easily a top 3 player year after year. But never could stick in NHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id also stay away from Tavares. Greta player no doubt, bu this ppg seasons are in the past. Statistically hes hit his peak and youd be paying the money youd pay for a 90-100 point player to a guy who will get around 65-75 yearly

You want to get elite players when they are 20-27 and stay away from them when they are 27+. No way Tavares would fit in our cap

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Id also stay away from Tavares. Greta player no doubt, bu this ppg seasons are in the past. Statistically hes hit his peak and youd be paying the money youd pay for a 90-100 point player to a guy who will get around 65-75 yearly

You want to get elite players when they are 20-27 and stay away from them when they are 27+. No way Tavares would fit in our cap

Oilers have been sending Lucic-RNH-Eberle against opposition first lines all year.
Would it not be better if it was Lucic-Tavares-(Caggiula\Pitlick\Puljujarvi) instead?
Consider secondary offense, cap hit and faceoffs and its a huge improvement.

Also, 70 pt players are very rare in todays NHL. Having one on your 2nd line would be a luxury.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

At this point, Oilers would rather have Tavares and some scrub on the 2nd line over RNH-Ebs.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Tavares has every intangible imaginable even if he doesn't hit the top 5 in scoring in the nhl.

I'll take a defensively responsible 26 yr old 70 pts centre, who is ~51% in the faceoff circle, plays in all situations, a true leader and is a PPG player in the playoffs at almost whatever price he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad