Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Aston-Reese Signs with PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maroon (1.5) McDavid (9) Draisaitl (6.5)
Lucic (6) Tavares (8) Eberle (6)
blank (1.5) Letestu (1.8) Kassian (1.5)
blank (1.5) blank (1.5) blank (1)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) Hamonic (3.8)
Nurse (0.8) Benning (0.8)

Talbot (4)
Back Up (1.5)

= 70 cap hit

... You'd have to lose Eberle most likely once his deal is up though.

I'd go for it anyway.

How are you getting McDavid at 9 and Nurse at 800K\Maroon at 1.5M when all 3 become free agents at the same time.

When McDavid starts making big money, Nurse and Maroon will too.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Its kinda dumb because :

Eberle: 14 g -28 a - 42 pts
RNH: 15g - 19 a - 34 pts

MacK: 15g - 30 a - 45 pts
Duchene: 17g 20a - 37 pts
Landeskog: 15g 14a - 29 pts

Eberle and RNH have had the worst years of their career production wise. They are basically the equivalent as MacK. Duchene and Landeskog production wise.

Though I am sure Eberle and RNH get much less PP points because they are on the second unit.

I dont know how Sakic thinks hes gonna get this huge value for them. But maybe he is right to try and get as much for them now as he can before they continue to diminish. I think that team is in a world of hurt.

The Avs trio is having their worst year offensively as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Tavares has every intangible imaginable even if he doesn't hit the top 5 in scoring in the nhl.

I'll take a defensively responsible 26 yr old 70 pts centre, who is ~51% in the faceoff circle, plays in all situations, a true leader and is a PPG player in the playoffs at almost whatever price he wants.

Tavares is great no doubt. But not worth 10 million or even 9. This is a cap world and McDavid is about to cost us near the league max + Draisaitl will be alot

The cots of Tavares is ALOT more than people think:
-He cost Nurse+Puljujarvi+1st if we traded for him right now
-We would have to deal RNH + Eberle at discounts right now to fit him in the cap. So that cost is whatever the discount is, compared to what theyd get us in 1 or 2 years when they bounce back
-Well be a cap team with ~28 million tied up with 3 players, so an additional cost is whatever further players we have to trade to get under cap, or whatever players we cant bring in because of lack of cap space

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Last 2 years Mackinnon was pace for 48 points and 59 points. This year 49 points. So a near career low but his career averages are pretty meh outside rookie year

Landeskog has been regressing for years. So pretty much expected of him to be as bad

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Tavares is great no doubt. But not worth 10 million or even 9. This is a cap world and McDavid is about to cost us near the league max + Draisaitl will be alot

The cots of Tavares is ALOT more than people think:
-He cost Nurse+Puljujarvi+1st if we traded for him right now
-We would have to deal RNH + Eberle at discounts right now to fit him in the cap. So that cost is whatever the discount is, compared to what theyd get us in 1 or 2 years when they bounce back
-Well be a cap team with ~28 million tied up with 3 players, so an additional cost is whatever further players we have to trade to get under cap, or whatever players we cant bring in because of lack of cap space

Tavares is a UFA in a year. Shouldn't cost that much. Isles are certainly not going to re-sign him for 10M/yr. I see him only asking for 8M/yr.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Tavares is a UFA in a year. Shouldn't cost that much. Isles are certainly not going to re-sign him for 10M/yr. I see him only asking for 8M/yr.

Also, there would certainly be salary going back to NYI most likely in the shape of RNH.

The ONLY reason why JT would sign with Edmonton would be to be on a powerhouse contender. He is not going to leave NY unless he wants to contend for the cup every year for the next 3 yrs-5yrs.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
How are you getting McDavid at 9 and Nurse at 800K\Maroon at 1.5M when all 3 become free agents at the same time.

When McDavid starts making big money, Nurse and Maroon will too.

I did it a bit differently in my ****'s and giggles mock-up, but it's still doable with large raises to those guys if you minus Eberle.

Maroon (4) - McDavid (10) - Drai (6.5)
Lucic (6) - Tavares (8) - Pulju (.925)
Slepy (.875) - Desharnais (2) - Kassian (2)
Caggiula (1) - Letestu (2.25) - Pitlick (.875)
Khaira (.875)
Klef (4.17) - Larsson (4.17)
Nurse (4.66) - Sekera (5.5)
Russell (3) - Benning (1)
Reinhart (.875)
Talbot (4.17)
Brossoit (1)
= 73.8

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Last 2 years Mackinnon was pace for 48 points and 59 points. This year 49 points. So a near career low but his career averages are pretty meh outside rookie year

Landeskog has been regressing for years. So pretty much expected of him to be as bad

Yea not a fan of MacK of all has been overrated for some time.

Nugey has been regressing just like Landeskog has.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Still would have to pay alot for that year at 5.5.

I could see him asking for 9.5-10. Stamkos took 8.5 as a bit of a hometown discount to stay on a very good up and coming team seen as a contender. If Tavares leaves the Island, there is going to be alot of interest and I dont see him taking a sweetheart deal

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yea not a fan of MacK of all has been overrated for some time.

Nugey has been regressing just like Landeskog has.

No question there. But both Landeskog and Mackinnon continue to be pretty grossly overrated. Landeskog especially because we alreayd know hes not that good. Mackinnon is still a bit of ? because hes younger. But in same spot RNH was at same age after 3 years of regression. For Mackinnon its about being a 1st liner if he can turn it around, no way he can be elite in the league. His hockey IQ is just way to low

Itll be interesting to see what they go for this summer. They are in same position Oilers were in last year. Me personally I have Landeskogs value around Eberle, Mackinnon around RNHs, and Duchenes around Halls

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I guess thats my point. Avs trio are having their worst year as are RNH/Ebs. So you cant say its a unfair comparison. They pretty much have the same equivalent production except that the Ebs/RNH dont get PP1 minutes.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I did it a bit differently in my ****'s and giggles mock-up, but it's still doable with large raises to those guys if you minus Eberle.

Maroon (4) - McDavid (10) - Drai (6.5)
Lucic (6) - Tavares (8) - Pulju (.925)
Slepy (.875) - Desharnais (2) - Kassian (2)
Caggiula (1) - Letestu (2.25) - Pitlick (.875)
Khaira (.875)
Klef (4.17) - Larsson (4.17)
Nurse (4.66) - Sekera (5.5)
Russell (3) - Benning (1)
Reinhart (.875)
Talbot (4.17)
Brossoit (1)
= 73.8

Benning will sign for 1M after seeing Nurse get 4.66M ?
Also, this will be good for only 1 year because in 2019 Pulju will need a bigger contract. As will Talbot.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Still would have to pay alot for that year at 5.5.

I could see him asking for 9.5-10. Stamkos took 8.5 as a bit of a hometown discount to stay on a very good up and coming team seen as a contender. If Tavares leaves the Island, there is going to be alot of interest and I dont see him taking a sweetheart deal

Phil Kessel didn't cost that much. Tavares is slightly better but Kessel is locked up for another 5+ years.

If he moves on, he will likely sign with a contending team. But keep in mind that the team won't have the cap space to sign him unless he takes a discount.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Benning will sign for 1M after seeing Nurse get 4.66M ?

Maybe give him a couple hundred grand more if he's earned it, but how is Benning comparable to Nurse? Nurse has been an elite prospect since his draft and still has legitimate top pair potential. Benning's a 6th round pick with 55 games NHL experience and 13 points. He may not even be in the NHL 2 years from now.

Also, this will be good for only 1 year because in 2019 Pulju will need a bigger contract. As will Talbot.

Well, sure, it's constantly in flux and the team is going to evolve, but that doesn't change that it's possible to fit Tavares in long term and not gut the team. Cap increase could cover Pulju + Talbot, or Pulju could be Yakupov 2.0 or Tarasenko 2.0...who knows.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Phil Kessel didn't cost that much. Tavares is slightly better but Kessel is locked up for another 5+ years.

If he moves on, he will likely sign with a contending team. But keep in mind that the team won't have the cap space to sign him unless he takes a discount.

Possibly, but what was the cap when Kessel signed. If you went % of total cap * cap right now youd get a more comparable figure. Plus IIRC Kessel signed in season with Toronto, never reaching the point he could hear offers from other teams

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maybe give him a couple hundred grand more if he's earned it, but how is Benning comparable to Nurse? Nurse has been an elite prospect since his draft and still has legitimate top pair potential. Benning's a 6th round pick with 55 games NHL experience and 13 points. He may not even be in the NHL 2 years from now.

Well, sure, it's constantly in flux and the team is going to evolve, but that doesn't change that it's possible to fit Tavares in long term and not gut the team. Cap increase could cover Pulju + Talbot, or Pulju could be Yakupov 2.0 or Tarasenko 2.0...who knows.

Both are rookie'ish players and Benning for the most part of the season has been as good (and for a stretch better than/as) Nurse. If Benning takes another step next year and keeps up with Darnell then he would want more than just a 1Mil deal.

NMC of Sekera and Lucic would make it very difficult to add a player like Tavares without gutting the depth.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I guess thats my point. Avs trio are having their worst year as are RNH/Ebs. So you cant say its a unfair comparison. They pretty much have the same equivalent production except that the Ebs/RNH dont get PP1 minutes.

Yea I agree with you. They should be valued similarly, they likely are around the league IMO. Just not on HF.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No question there. But both Landeskog and Mackinnon continue to be pretty grossly overrated. Landeskog especially because we alreayd know hes not that good. Mackinnon is still a bit of ? because hes younger. But in same spot RNH was at same age after 3 years of regression. For Mackinnon its about being a 1st liner if he can turn it around, no way he can be elite in the league. His hockey IQ is just way to low

Itll be interesting to see what they go for this summer. They are in same position Oilers were in last year. Me personally I have Landeskogs value around Eberle, Mackinnon around RNHs, and Duchenes around Halls

I personally still think Landeskog = RNH in terms of value around the league.
Duchene = Hall would be similar I agree. Hall is better but Duchene is a C.

MacKinnon is a wildcard honestly. It all depends on what a team thinks he can become. His value is anywhere from Hall-RNH, a wide range depending on whos buying.

That being said I only really see Duchene moving. Landeskogs value is just too low to move right now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I personally still think Landeskog = RNH in terms of value around the league.
Duchene = Hall would be similar I agree. Hall is better but Duchene is a C.

MacKinnon is a wildcard honestly. It all depends on what a team thinks he can become. His value is anywhere from Hall-RNH, a wide range depending on whos buying.

That being said I only really see Duchene moving. Landeskogs value is just too low to move right now.

I have pretty similar thinking. Mackinnon is a tough one because I could see some GMs loving him. Which is why Id move him ASAP. because this year hes still young enough to have people wonder about upside and whether this is just a one off bad year. A 4th year of lackluster production kind of cements your status as a disappointment. Some GM could think he could pull a Seguin or Johansen. The trick will be finding a GM high on Mackinnon, but also with a D hes willingly to trade. So thats tough to match those 2 up

IIRC Boston wasnt even budging on moving Carlo (not sure if it was Duchene or Mackinnon). That should be a example for what the market is going for. I like Carlo, but I dont exactly consider him a blue chip D

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
JT is one of the best forwards in the league. Why would he sign a cap friendly contract with Edmonton to be a 2nd line center? He also plays the same spot as Mcdavid on the PP. if JT went UFA he'd get at least 10 million per season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Tavares is immensely more valuable then Kessel was at the time of that deal and still is. You cannot read anything from the Kessel deal into what it would take to get Tavares.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Why JT would do it?

Because that is the biggest issue with his current team.. No 1b or 2a C for depth. In Edmonton there would be just that.

JT will still get his 20mins a game, key faceoffs, going against top lines and 1st unit PP time.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If they cost the same via trade I think I'd prefer MacKinnon over Tavares factoring in age and contact status. Also, a RH shot is needed much more than another lefty. It would be hard to find a spot for Tavares on PP#1 unless he bumped Drai out, whereas MacKinnon is a perfect Letestu replacement. On McDavid's wing Mac could be a 30-40 goal scorer and add 40-50 assists.

We probably don't need another big name forward anyways, just some middle 6 guys who compete and win battles at a higher rate than RNH and Eberle.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I have pretty similar thinking. Mackinnon is a tough one because I could see some GMs loving him. Which is why Id move him ASAP. because this year hes still young enough to have people wonder about upside and whether this is just a one off bad year. A 4th year of lackluster production kind of cements your status as a disappointment. Some GM could think he could pull a Seguin or Johansen. The trick will be finding a GM high on Mackinnon, but also with a D hes willingly to trade. So thats tough to match those 2 up

IIRC Boston wasnt even budging on moving Carlo (not sure if it was Duchene or Mackinnon). That should be a example for what the market is going for. I like Carlo, but I dont exactly consider him a blue chip D

Yea I agree 100% only if they find the right deal. If not hold onto him. He should be a consistent ~55 point C which is dissapointing but not the worst thing in the world.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Tavares is immensely more valuable then Kessel was at the time of that deal and still is. You cannot read anything from the Kessel deal into what it would take to get Tavares.

Tavares is a free agent in a year vs Kessel for another 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->