Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Aston-Reese Signs with PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Winning rounds is still a very helpful exercise. By not bothering to improve when nearly every single one of their opponents did, they minimize what chance they had in the first place.

Definitely a shortsighted approach by Chia.

Well considering we lack a 2nd round pick and theres an expansion draft this year, they Oilers were kind of limited to moves we could make. Either moves for 3rd rounders or lower which I assume due to Chia's small trade success last year that nothing was appealing this year or trading our first or a solid prospect which this team is not prepared to do.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I wasn't expecting any big deals for us today. I'm just confused why we couldn't have given a 5th for Parenteau. He can play with skilled players on the RW.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Frank Corrado has been freed. Toronto and Babcock really dicked him around for no reason.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Would've been better if we could've gotten a backup and a depth winger for cheap like Parenteau, bah.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Well considering we lack a 2nd round pick and theres an expansion draft this year, they Oilers were kind of limited to moves we could make. Either moves for 3rd rounders or lower which I assume due to Chia's small trade success last year that nothing was appealing this year or trading our first or a solid prospect which this team is not prepared to do.

2nds were not even moving all that much.

As I said, every single one of those precious late round picks better be NHL players, or Chia intentionally chose not to get better at a time when we had both the need and opportunity to win a round or two.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
This team is a lot more raw and young than that group.

Pronger, Smyth, Hemsky were all near/at their career primes.

McDavid hasn't even played two full seasons.

sure, and that team was arguably a lot more raw than DET, ANA and SJ that year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Isn't this the 2nd time Arizona got nothing for Vrbata at the deadline and just kept him for the pointless rest of the year?

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

As I said, every single one of those precious late round picks better be NHL players, or Chia intentionally chose not to get better at a time when we had both the need and opportunity to win a round or two.

Come on..

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The expasion messes things up if you want to add really quality pieces for a playoff run. It is amazingly stupid imho. Teams cannot prepare properly but rather need to trade/not trade players to be in the best possible situation come expansion draft.

I think you underestimate this team though. They can beat any other team on decent/good days. The stars have to align but I think conf.finals are not out of the realm of possibilities.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

This doesn't even make sense.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Reposting in this thread as it got lost in last page of old thread:

Jesus christ, ***** ***** *****, chirp chirp chirp. What "Massive, massive" opportunity did Chiarelli miss on, if you are so bloody adamant that he has failed our team? Was Faulk available for RNH and Chia turned it down? Was Chiarelli supposed to convince the teams who traded 3C's for 2nd Rd picks to take worse picks instead?

If you're going to ***** at our GM, at least offer some kind of suggestion as to what he could have done that he missed out on, since he clearly is the worst GM.

Please, list the ways Chia could have improved our team "substantially."

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
sure, and that team was arguably a lot more raw than DET, ANA and SJ that year.

Yeah well I don't think adding a Vanek would be the difference between a 1st round exit and Stanley Cup Finals either.

I am a bit upset about not getting a back up though. We are overplaying Talbot.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009

The picks can be used to acquire players after the expansion draft too.

You said this was a short-sighted approach by Chia but in fact its the exact opposite. This isn't the year to go for broke

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Would've liked them getting a backup, and someone perhaps better than DD. But we didn't make any potentially future damaging moves so I can't complain

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I wasn't expecting any big deals for us today. I'm just confused why we couldn't have given a 5th for Parenteau. He can play with skilled players on the RW.

The question you should be asking yourself is "why is a player who has scored 20 goals in a season and is currently putting together another good season, been on waivers a couple of times and only worth a 6th round pick?"

There's probably a reason teams are staying away from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad