Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Aston-Reese Signs with PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Im not all that sure. I think he can bump Sekera out of top 4. But Klefbom is still really young in his career (only 73 games more pro games than Nurse). So Klefbom is still developing defensively and already is posting ~15 goals ~35 points this young. In next 1.5 years we could see Klefbom get top PP minutes (20 goals a chance?) as well as round out defensively. Klefbom, IMO, will be a #1 D and is trending to that. Nurse would have to be really, really good to unthrone him from top pairing. Especially considering Klefbom-Larsson already show so much chemistry

Regardless, 5/6ths of our D core is nearly unmoveable or doesnt need to be moved. We have a pretty set D core for foreseeable future. Only Russell really is expandable
Offensively perhaps but defensively nope. If anything he is taking a step back defensively. Nurse on the other hand is on a steady incline.

Klefbom aside from his slapper last game was our worst Dman and has been that for the last 5 games. Nurse will start to take some defensive\PK minutes from him in a year or so letting him focus on PP and not play 24min\night.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Offensively perhaps but defensively nope. If anything he is taking a step back defensively. Nurse on the other hand is on a steady incline.

Klefbom aside from his slapper last game was our worst Dman and has been that for the last 5 games. Nurse will start to take some defensive\PK minutes from him in a year or so letting him focus on PP and not play 24min\night.

Klefbomis playing the toughest minutes night in night out. Nurse is playing bottom pairing, easy minutes. Before these 5 games Klefbom was taken big strides defensively

if you think Nurse will develop more since hes so raw, Klefbom is marginally more experienced and is still yet to play his 200th game in the NHL

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Klefbomis playing the toughest minutes night in night out. Nurse is playing bottom pairing, easy minutes. Before these 5 games Klefbom was taken big strides defensively

if you think Nurse will develop more since hes so raw, Klefbom is marginally more experienced and is still yet to play his 200th game in the NHL

No actually Nurse looks better and more poised than Klefbom to me already.

I could easily see Nurse-Larsson as our top pairing as early as April.

Love the Klef bombs though.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I think Klef and Larsson are more suited to each other. Larsson's steady presence has really allowed Klefbom to come into his own offensively and I think growing these two together is the smart move.

I think a guy like Mike Green would be a good partner for Nurse. He has been a premier offensive dman in this league for a lot of years. Darnell has the tools to be able to move the puck efficiently and contribute offensively, he could really benefit from the teachings of a guy like Green and likewise Darnell's play in his own zone would make up for some of Green's shortcomings in that department.

If we looked like this on the back end next year I'd be pleased

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Green

That's 3 very well balanced pairings, you have defensive and puck moving ability on each line, the experience is evenly distributed and really you would have no problem playing any of those pairings 20 minutes a night if you needed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Again, on bottom pairing (where he should be). There is a less than zero 0 percent chance TM is going to put a still recovering Nurse (in his 2nd year) on top pairing. Effectively breaking up a pairing that has played together almost every game this year.

I will avatar bet you that Nurse will not be playing top pairing with Larsson by April. In fact it wont happen by NEXT April

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Klefbom is typically getting the tougher match-ups though. If Nurse is given more responsibility, I'm doubtful he'd look better than Klefbom.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom is typically getting the tougher match-ups though. If Nurse is given more responsibility, I'm doubtful he'd look better than Klefbom.

As usual truth on both sides of this one.

No doubt Nurse would struggle in a top 4 role with where he is right now in his development.

"Offensively perhaps but defensively nope. If anything he is taking a step back defensively. Nurse on the other hand is on a steady incline.

"

Klefbom has really been struggling defensively on and off a all season. He still has not shown the consistency he seemed to have defensively the previous year before he got injured.

But, he is most certainly doing a great job offensively, while Larsson holds down the fort well enough defensively for him to do that. I believe he has been "green lighted" to be a bit more reckless and it's effecting his play defensively.

I prefer great shutdown defenders like Larsson over offensive types like Klefbom but since the two are a pair they are doing a great job together overall. Hopefully Klefbom can round out his defensive game a bit more without losing his offensive production. He should get better, is still young, has shown glimpses of being better defensively.

We are still missing the oft talked about ultimate #1 defenseman who is both a 40+ point defender with a booming shot and a great shutdown guy. Klefbom or Nurse "could" end up being that but it is way too early to say. Chara was not considered that until 28ish?

Because he is facing much tougher competition and contributing to wins I think its safe to say currently Klefbom is closer to that than Nurse. And technically I think both Larsson and Sekera are closer to that than either. Although Sekera probably won't be improving much moving forward.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
I think Klef and Larsson are more suited to each other. Larsson's steady presence has really allowed Klefbom to come into his own offensively and I think growing these two together is the smart move.

I think a guy like Mike Green would be a good partner for Nurse. He has been a premier offensive dman in this league for a lot of years. Darnell has the tools to be able to move the puck efficiently and contribute offensively, he could really benefit from the teachings of a guy like Green and likewise Darnell's play in his own zone would make up for some of Green's shortcomings in that department.

If we looked like this on the back end next year I'd be pleased

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Benning
Nurse - Green

That's 3 very well balanced pairings, you have defensive and puck moving ability on each line, the experience is evenly distributed and really you would have no problem playing any of those pairings 20 minutes a night if you needed.

Although I do enjoy the looks of the pairings. I wonder if Vegas took dumba if we could package nuge/ebs + to get dumba. And then sign a guy like bonino for 3rd line Center and still be real good down the middle.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Although I do enjoy the looks of the pairings. I wonder if Vegas took dumba if we could package nuge/ebs + to get dumba. And then sign a guy like bonino for 3rd line Center and still be real good down the middle.

I definitely want to see what Vegas ends up with before making any trades because I think we will make good trading partners. They likely end up with a couple defensemen that could fit the bill for us as well as some middle 6 players that Chia might be interested in. On the flip side RNH and Eberle will be better then anything they are going to get in the expansion draft and likely UFA. We might be able to use RNH or Eberle to fill a couple of needs.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Would you say that top pairing PK minutes are easy? Because Nurse has played those minutes when healthy. Our PK was deadly before he got hurt and struggled after he went down.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
What a change from previous years :biglaugh: No way this thread goes 5 hours without a "magic fix" for this team let alone 5 years. No threads on the main boards either

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What a change from previous years :biglaugh: No way this thread goes 5 hours without a "magic fix" for this team let alone 5 years. No threads on the main boards either

Exactly what I thought when I saw this thread sit dormant for days. Usually we are trying to figure out what 1/3rd of the team will be shipped out at this point, or if there's merit to trading a top 3 pick.

I still think we see 2-3 moves or roster changes this summer, but it is more about tweaking the mix now, as opposed to blowing up a significant portion of the roster.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Exactly what I thought when I saw this thread sit dormant for days. Usually we are trying to figure out what 1/3rd of the team will be shipped out at this point, or if there's merit to trading a top 3 pick.

I still think we see 2-3 moves or roster changes this summer, but it is more about tweaking the mix now, as opposed to blowing up a significant portion of the roster.

Yeah, it's kind of funny seeing the lack of suggestions. I think our current success warrants the minor moves you suggest. Maybe one of Ebs or RNH gone if Chia spots a good deal.

That said, if we lose a game or two again, I expect this thread to blow up again :)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
You guys think Yak can get hot down the stretch and score 12 goals in the Blues last 11 games? It'd be nice to upgrade that 3rd round pick into a 2nd. After all, his unsustainable run to finish off his rookie year is what made him a legend in some peoples minds here.:sarcasm:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
If one of the two was to be moved this offseason, would you guys prefer RNH or Eberle be that player? I used to think it should be RNH that stays but even at this point in the season his play is pretty meh while Ebs has seemed to turn it up quite a bit. RNH is clearly better defensively but his offensive ability has seemed to completely vanish. Meanwhile Eberle has been the most defensive out of any point in his career and seems to be actually putting in an effort to play a 2 way game more than Nuge (offense is one of the two ways). Lucic and Ebs seem to be developing some chemistry as well.

Although I do realize that RNH is a center and they typically have more of an impact on the game, I think if Eberle continues to trend upward like he has been recently, I'd prefer him staying over Nuge.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You guys think Yak can get hot down the stretch and score 12 goals in the Blues last 11 games? It'd be nice to upgrade that 3rd round pick into a 2nd. After all, his unsustainable run to finish off his rookie year is what made him a legend in some peoples minds here.:sarcasm:

I think his job for the Blues is to get coffee for the players in the press box. He's only played 35 games this year, I doubt the Blues extend him. Next year some team will give him a last chance contract.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I think his job for the Blues is to get coffee for the players in the press box. He's only played 35 games this year, I doubt the Blues extend him. Next year some team will give him a last chance contract.

I think Yakupov would be a big pick up for Vegas. He'll get a ton of chances to play and learn how to play an NHL game.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Yakupov would be a big pick up for Vegas. He'll get a ton of chances to play and learn how to play an NHL game.

Vegas or Jersey. Those are two teams building from the ground up and are going to be starving for offence from day one next season. Both will have the ability to give him a longer leash to see if he can produce. Might as well throw in Detroit as well.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Ya I don't see it. Just cuz Vegas will be an expansion with a weak roster doesn't mean they will have a bunch of players who have no clue how to play hockey

Yak isn't getting scratched in St Louis cuz of depth. he's been scratched cuz he has no clue how to follow a system or be effective

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Maybe they'll trade a 2020 7th round pick, but I don't see them picking him up in the expansion draft

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Isn't he a RFA after this year? I can't see the Blues qualifying him, and he could be had as a cheap UFA signing.

He should just go to the KHL and get his confidence back. His agent is an idiot though.

It's either that or he needs to clear waivers and play in the AHL.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Do you think Nuge, Eberle and a 1st would get Tavares?

if they add Pulock or Hamonic then easy yes. If Tavares doesnt see NYI becoming a contender anytime soon and is not willing to reup with them then would anyone really offer more than RNH+Ebs+1st for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad