Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Aston-Reese Signs with PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
At this point, Oilers would rather have Tavares and some scrub on the 2nd line over RNH-Ebs.

We need a defensive C like Couturier and wings that work with Mcdavid and Draisaitl .

1C McD
2C Draisaitl
3) Couturier
4) Letestu

extras DD + Maybe RNH can transform his game to wing and be used as a C in a pinch

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We need a defensive C like Couturier and wings that work with Mcdavid and Draisaitl .

1C McD
2C Draisaitl
3) Couturier
4) Letestu

extras DD + Maybe RNH can transform his game to wing and be used as a C in a pinch

I'm just hoping for Tavares so we can cheap out on the wingers. Might be one expensive C corps but each player can carry their own line and we can load them up on the PP like the Pens.

Whereas Couturier is not much of an upgrade on RNH if the team is planning to go different ways. Just seems like a lateral move

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I'm just hoping for Tavares so we can cheap out on the wingers. Might be one expensive C corps but each player can carry their own line and we can load them up on the PP like the Pens.

Whereas Couturier is not much of an upgrade on RNH if the team is planning to go different ways. Just seems like a lateral move

It heavily depends on what you're using Couts for. If you want him as your 2C, then yes I'd agree. But the obvious choice would be to have Drai be our 2C eventually, with Couts being the elite 3C that he is and is able to shut down top guys.

If you get Tavares "and then cheap out on wingers," that basically means that we're either moving Drai or you don't expect him to get a lot of money - both incorrect assumptions in my opinion. I really don't see how we could fit Tavares onto our team with our cap situation in the next few years. Couturier on the other hand is doable imo.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
and what makes us think that Couturier would be cheaper to acquire than Tavares?
Consider contracts and its RNH+1st at least for either one.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It heavily depends on what you're using Couts for. If you want him as your 2C, then yes I'd agree. But the obvious choice would be to have Drai be our 2C eventually, with Couts being the elite 3C that he is and is able to shut down top guys.

If you get Tavares "and then cheap out on wingers," that basically means that we're either moving Drai or you don't expect him to get a lot of money - both incorrect assumptions in my opinion. I really don't see how we could fit Tavares onto our team with our cap situation in the next few years. Couturier on the other hand is doable imo.

Well we either pay Tavares to play with scrubs or pay Couturier on a reasonable contract and go expensive on the wingers. Couturier on his own doesn't create much offense.

Personally I prefer 3 scoring lines and one checking/energy line as opposed to the 2 scoring lines, 1 checking and 1 energy line. The league is evolving. We are seeing more speed and skills. Just look at the Hawks and Pens.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

or you are assuming we rid ourselves of Eberle and Pouliot contracts.

Maroon-McD-Drai
Lucic-Tavares-cheap
cheap-cheap-cheap
cheap-cheap-cheap

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
and what makes us think that Couturier would be cheaper to acquire than Tavares?
Consider contracts and its RNH+1st at least for either one.

I don't think Couturier costs that. There was a main boards Couturier value thread not so long ago and RNH straight up wasn't entirely hated by Philly fans. And, if I recall, the ones who didn't like it didn't seem to have a problem with the value, just that they didn't think Couturier could be replaced so why do it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
or you are assuming we rid ourselves of Eberle and Pouliot contracts.

Maroon-McD-Drai
Lucic-Tavares-cheap
cheap-cheap-cheap
cheap-cheap-cheap

If Lucic's body starts to fall off, I could see us buying out his contract 4-5 years. That could help relieve some cap. I mean McDavid, Drai and Tavares down the middle gives us some many options. Scoring lines and on the PP.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We are not getting Tavares.

If I were Chiarelli I'd be looking to add more competitive players to the middle 6 and adding a 2nd pair RHD. I feel the Oilers would be better off with a few little **** disturbers rather than RNH and Eberle.

On defense I'd be after one of Green, Savard, or Petrovic to replace Russell. Up front something like Gallager, Sobotka, and possibly another C/W depending on what the plan is with Drai.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
An Avs analyst was just on Oilers Now with Stauffer and said MacKinnon would also be available for the right price. Imagine him on McDavid's left wing. Would RNH and Nurse be enough? I might do that because of the young defencemen coming up in our system. MacKinnon is also signed for another 6 years at a reasonable rate. We'd be so fast up front with Mac, Mc, and Pulju.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
An Avs analyst was just on Oilers Now with Stauffer and said MacKinnon would also be available for the right price. Imagine him on McDavid's left wing. Would RNH and Nurse be enough? I might do that because of the young defencemen coming up in our system. MacKinnon is also signed for another 6 years at a reasonable rate. We'd be so fast up front with Mac, Mc, and Pulju.

I'd rather hold onto Nurse. I'd offer Caleb Jones, Reinhart, and/or Ethan bear instead if a deal was to be made.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd rather hold onto Nurse. I'd offer Caleb Jones, Reinhart, and/or Ethan bear instead if a deal was to be made.

For sure something like Jones and a 1st would be preferred over losing Nurse, but I'm sure the Avs would want help on the backend right now as opposed to players 2-3 years away from making an impact. I just think if Klefbom and Sekera are pencilled in as our top 4 LHD for the foreseeable future, finding an adequate 3rd pairing D to replace Nurse wouldn't be such a big deal. Adding a scorer with a right hand shot to the top line on a long term contract makes the team better overall.

Could you imagine this top 6?

Maroon McDavid MacKinnon
Lucic Draisaitl Puljujarvi

That is a great mix of player types. Speed out the ying-yang, skill, and size/nastiness. Trade Ebs for a 3C and 3LD to replace Nurse. Maybe Reinhart could fill that role next year too.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

MacKinnon has some great tools no doubt. But I dont think hes worth the price. His numbers are similar to Ebs/RNH and they have had bad years as well. If we could trade them some combination of RNH/Eberle/Picks/Smaller adds I would be fine with it. But Colorado will want a ton for him. No offense to him but I think he has a bit of loser attitude.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We are not getting Tavares.

If I were Chiarelli I'd be looking to add more competitive players to the middle 6 and adding a 2nd pair RHD. I feel the Oilers would be better off with a few little **** disturbers rather than RNH and Eberle.

On defense I'd be after one of Green, Savard, or Petrovic to replace Russell. Up front something like Gallager, Sobotka, and possibly another C/W depending on what the plan is with Drai.

That team would never be a cup contender. We need a big upgrade on Russell , Eberle and DD.

#4D, #2RW, #3C

As for your first comment it may be true, but if JT hits the market or becomes available for trade Chia should certainly be in the mix.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
For me, RNH would have to be the center piece and I'm not sure that's realistic. I don't even think RNH + Nurse does it. IMO if MacKinnon moves somebody will pay through the nose...as in like ~90% the value we'd be expecting for Draisaitl..
Way too much for a guy who's rocking the same GPG/PPG as Nuge (apprx 20G 55P over 82).

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The Avs asking price for MacKinnon would be pretty similar to the Oilers asking price for RNH 3 seasons ago.

IE, modern RNH + a 1st wouldn't even get us close.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The Wild reportedly offered Dumba for RNH. RNH has struggled this year, and so his value is possibly lower than it was at the time of the rumored Dumba swap. He is probably not going to return a star player if he is the center-piece.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The Avs asking price for MacKinnon would be pretty similar to the Oilers asking price for RNH 3 seasons ago.

IE, modern RNH + a 1st wouldn't even get us close.

How does Landeskog keep his trade value while RNH loses it?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I don't think he does. I doubt the offers for Landeskog are anything to be impressed about either.

I don't think the Avalanche will trade any of their core pieces, and I think that if they do the fanbase will hate the return. Same thing that happened to us.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I didn't realize the NHL is abolishing the salary cap :shakehead

Maroon (1.5) McDavid (9) Draisaitl (6.5)
Lucic (6) Tavares (8) Eberle (6)
blank (1.5) Letestu (1.8) Kassian (1.5)
blank (1.5) blank (1.5) blank (1)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) Hamonic (3.8)
Nurse (0.8) Benning (0.8)

Talbot (4)
Back Up (1.5)

= 70 cap hit

... You'd have to lose Eberle most likely once his deal is up though.

I'd go for it anyway.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Its kinda dumb because :

Eberle: 14 g -28 a - 42 pts
RNH: 15g - 19 a - 34 pts

MacK: 15g - 30 a - 45 pts
Duchene: 17g 20a - 37 pts
Landeskog: 15g 14a - 29 pts

Eberle and RNH have had the worst years of their career production wise. They are basically the equivalent as MacK. Duchene and Landeskog production wise.

Though I am sure Eberle and RNH get much less PP points because they are on the second unit.

I dont know how Sakic thinks hes gonna get this huge value for them. But maybe he is right to try and get as much for them now as he can before they continue to diminish. I think that team is in a world of hurt.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Though I am sure Eberle and RNH get much less PP points because they are on the second unit.

I dont know how Sakic thinks hes gonna get this huge value for them. But maybe he is right to try and get as much for them now as he can before they continue to diminish. I think that team is in a world of hurt.

Its not just Sakic.. check the main boards and every fan base including Oilers fans are willing to overpay for Avs players but consider Ebs\RNH as negative value.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah no thanks. Mackinnon is a dud. RNH had a higher PPG at same age and PPG is pretty much equal right now. Mackinnon is a barely an upgrade on RNH right now. Max id go is RNH + Reinhart

No way Id even do Nurse straight up. Blows my mind how people value Mackinnon.

Hall got Adam Larsson, and Hall was a PPG player for 3 years and vastly better than Mackinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad