Rumor: Rumors or Proposals Thread | Who Do You Look to Move on From in the Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I think they'd be even more unhappy seeing the limited cap that's available spent on a one dimensional offensive forward trying to recreate some of the likely unsustainable offense that was generated over that short period.

You paint those two to be the most idiotic pair when it comes to how they view game. Those lines generated offense at an elite rate well before Kane or even Hyman signed in Edmonton. The last place this roster needs to spend money is on Connor's line.
Who do you suggest replace Kane on the first line then?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don’t put much stock into this sort of stuff either way. What would he gain from acknowledging it?
No one can know what's going behind the scenes except the people involved.

Report came out that he's available, another report came out that he's not. Just posting it to the rumor thread.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Panarin was 3 years younger when he first put up those "similar numbers" in the KHL. They are not the same tier of player based on that (albeit limited) stat. Certainly worth a shot though at that price point, you never know when you might hit a home run. If he doesn't work out, you haven't lost anything really, so super low risk.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why would either of those players retire and leave money on the table ?

Katz and the combination of "long term oilers jobs" and "lots of money" might be the answer.

I don't think Keith retires, just for the record. But there would be nothing stopping Katz from saying "I sure would like to add Keith to our positional coaching team, which just so happens to run out of BC close to his kid, but unfortunately he still has a year on his deal left, and that position will get filled really quickly. Really too bad, because that position was going to make $1.5 million next year and then $500k for 3 years after, on a 4 year contract. Yup, it really is too bad he can't take that position, he'd be perfect for it, if only he didn't have that year left on his NHL contract......"

Would that be sleezy? Yes. Would it maybe constitute cap circumvention? Maybe. But other teams cheat all the time, it's time we started cheating as well.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Katz and the combination of "long term oilers jobs" and "lots of money" might be the answer.

I don't think Keith retires, just for the record. But there would be nothing stopping Katz from saying "I sure would like to add Keith to our positional coaching team, which just so happens to run out of BC close to his kid, but unfortunately he still has a year on his deal left, and that position will get filled really quickly. Really too bad, because that position was going to make $1.5 million next year and then $500k for 3 years after, on a 4 year contract. Yup, it really is too bad he can't take that position, he'd be perfect for it, if only he didn't have that year left on his NHL contract......"

Would that be sleezy? Yes. Would it maybe constitute cap circumvention? Maybe. But other teams cheat all the time, it's time we started cheating as well.
It wouldn't surprise me if Katz is already thinking of something like this. Look at his reaction in the games. The man really wants to see the Oilers hoist the cup.

Reactions: yakcity1064

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Uncle Katz is going to pay them under the table

No, no, no. You got this all wrong. Keith just happens to be the best *checks notes* "talent agent?" (really guys? okay I guess)..... "talent agent" for Katz new media empire that he could find. That new agent just happens to make $1.5 million next year as well. See, its all on the up and and up :)

I'm obviously joking with this, but to pretend that a multi-billionaire couldn't find a way to compensate Keith for that lost $1.5 is equally as silly as what I just proposed. A simple handshake deal to hire Keith in 2-3 years as a development coach is all it would take. There are a million other ways this could work as well, including much shadier examples that I just gave.

Reactions: Canovin

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I could see something along the lines of Puljujarvi for Crouse straight across. I just get this feeling that Puljujarvi doesn't thrive here with all of the pressure and needs to go to a team where he can just focus on his game. Crouse, while not having as much of an offensive ceiling as Puljujarvi, would be a great fit in our bottom 6 in my opinion.
Yes. Its not about bottom 6ers . Its the Kane void that needs to be addressed ( I already know it eont), and the need for tje 1A or at least one of the two 1a goalies. Resigning koskinen would actually be a Ok idea at 1,5$m as a stopgap. Its that bad, yes.

blank McDavid Hyman
blank Draisaitl Yamamoto
MacLeod Nuge Fogele
Holloway Shore Ryan

This team needs 2 more Hyman, or a Kane + an addition.

Pulkujörvi? Traded. Kassian as well.
Fogele is very expensive for what he is. Can he playbwith two goods ( Nuge and Hyamn) he is doable as a 3rd liner.

The D is falling or staying solid with Kulak resigning

Nurse Ceci
Kulak Bouchard
Kieth Barrie
Niemilainen Broberg

Ive liked Niemilainen more than Broberg. A moreninterrrsting element on the team.

Holland wont fill in the most important blanks. He will fill in from under with bottom 6ers......

Come on Kenny. You have to trade for a top 6 winger more

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
No, no, no. You got this all wrong. Keith just happens to be the best *checks notes* "talent agent?" (really guys? okay I guess)..... "talent agent" for Katz new media empire that he could find. That new agent just happens to make $1.5 million next year as well. See, its all on the up and and up :)

I'm obviously joking with this, but to pretend that a multi-billionaire couldn't find a way to compensate Keith for that lost $1.5 is equally as silly as what I just proposed. A simple handshake deal to hire Keith in 2-3 years as a development coach is all it would take. There are a million other ways this could work as well, including much shadier examples that I just gave.
Katz can even give him a raise to 2 million and have him actually do real work with some new fancy job title like "defenseman playmaking decision making development coach" or something. He can just drop in once every few weeks to give Bouchard/Broberg some pointers and try to make Nurse somewhat less stupid.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Katz can even give him a raise to 2 million and have him actually do real work with some new fancy job title like "defenseman playmaking decision making development coach" or something. He can just drop in once every few weeks to give Bouchard/Broberg some pointers and try to make Nurse somewhat less stupid.
He can be a "Western Scout". Just hang out with his kid and catch the odd Canucks game.

Reactions: PBandJ and Canovin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I thought when stuff like this happened that the NHL would look and make sure that whatever position the player takes that the money is similar to what someone on another team would make in that position

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He can be a "Western Scout". Just hang out with his kid and catch the odd Canucks game.
Can't be worse than Barry Fraser.
I thought when stuff like this happened that the NHL would look and make sure that whatever position the player takes that the money is similar to what someone on another team would make in that position
Then create a never before seen title "special defenseman hockey iq improvement tutor to darnell nurse". We can justify it by saying we're spending 3 million to improve our 74 million dollar investment.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

That is definitely cap circumvention.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That is definitely cap circumvention.
If Keith retires without the Oilers offering him a job. The league is not going to investigate.

But if he retires because he got offered a position on the Oilers, the league is going to investigate?

Keith is almost 40. Not like he's 25 and deciding to retire because the Oilers offered him a 5M job.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I wonder if we can get Kulak locked up to a similar term/AAV as what Lauzon just got. Yes I'm well aware Lauzon is a big meme and Kulak is actually good but hey both went for 2nd round picks at the trade deadline :D
If Keith retires without the Oilers offering him a job. The league is not going to investigate.

But if he retires because he got offered a position on the Oilers, the league is going to investigate?

Keith is almost 40. Not like he's 25 and deciding to retire because the Oilers offered him a 5M job.
Like I said, special defenseman hockey iq improvement tutor to darnell nurse, and have him do some zoom sessions with nurse so it doesn't even matter if the league investigates, the entire nhl would believe it's a real position anyway

Reactions: Canovin

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013

The same league that forced the Oilers to give up draft picks for Chiarelli, McLellan and Neal?

yea, probably

Reactions: Faelko

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011

when has this ever happened?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The same league that forced the Oilers to give up draft picks for Chiarelli, McLellan and Neal?

yea, probably
Mclellan/Chiarelli picks were just bad timing. They didn't add the short lived manager compensation rule specifically because the Oilers were looking for a new GM/Coach.

The pick in the Lucic/Neal deal was rather bullsh*t though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad