Rumor: Rumors or Proposals Thread | Who Do You Look to Move on From in the Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yes, less than 1m this year and years 3 and 4. Next offseason would be the biggest hit, 1.9m on the cap so only a 1.3m savings next offseason.

If they could trade him retaining 1m without attaching an asset that's probably best but I'm not sure that a team would take him at 2.2m for two years without asking for an asset in addition unless Holland found another Holland to do him a favor so I think they'll probably have to buy him out.

It's only a 966K difference this offseason (the most critical offseason) if they trade him at full salary as opposed to a buyout. Is that really worth giving up a 1st?
Arizona needs actual players. Kassian can play up and down the line-up. They would have a hard time signing a guy like him for much less than $2.5M.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Would much rather improve the D and see how Skinner fares behind them before mortgaging the future on a guy like Gibson who is now struggling after the deterioration of the Ducks through the last few years.

Many goalies are simply products of their environment. Bring in a #1 D and Skinner will play .920 or above guaranteed. Maybe higher.

...or lower?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Is Kassian that guy though ? If you need to stack McDrai for Kassian to be playable in the top 6 then that doesn’t really say much IMO.

And to be honest I don’t really think our team is filled with pushovers. Our back end was a bit soft with Nurse injured and I think we need to replace Barrie with a bruising type, but other than that I think most of our guys can stick up for themselves. Up front, Yamo is a pest and Hyman doesn’t shy away from contact either. McDrai have proven they can up the physicality as well.

You look at a team like the Avs and apart from Kadri they’re not that gritty either. And yet they still skated circles around us.

I’ll take functional skill over back pocket toughness any day of the week.

I agree that Kassian isn’t really that guy at this stage in his career. I still think you need some functional toughness in the playoffs, though I also agree that having grit, size, speed and forechecking on the wings that they have helps mitigate that. The Avs are a good example of not needing it so much but I have a feeling they will struggle with Tampa, and maybe a Kane type would help there.

I like Barrie but if they moved him for someone like Soucy it would help mitigate the losses up front

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
So Kane was out golfing Friday in Edmonton with some Oiler management according to Stauffer? Interesting....
Stauffer "suggesting" that the Oilers will have more cap space than some originally thought.

Also said look to a more subtle deal with an Easter Canadian team for a guy who is a ufa in 2023 (Connor Brown is my guess).
First of all, sign me up for some more underrated Leafs rejects.

Stauffer is probably referring to Keith potentially retiring. But another possibility and my personal preference, is the possibility that the Sharks lose the grievance outright AND don't get to reinstate Kane's contract.
Why Kane's playoff success with Oilers might be good for Sharks

"If Kane wins his grievance, after this season, the Sharks will owe him $19 million of actual cash over the next three seasons, $7 million AAV against the cap. But the impending free-agent Kane won’t get to double-dip. Say the Oilers re-sign him to a three-year, $15 million deal ($5 million AAV) this summer – that would reduce what the Sharks owe Kane in real money, and turn a $7 million cap hit into a $2 million hit.

So in theory, the better that Kane plays, the more relief that the Sharks could receive, in cash, and perhaps most importantly, on the cap. The cap-strapped Sharks will need all the help that they can get to improve the team this offseason."

What that means is that if Kane can't convince an opposing team to give him over 7 million the next 3 years, then he can potentially sign for the league minimum 750k for next year and force the Sharks to cough up the other 6.25 million. And given the history between player and team Kane will absolutely have incentive to stick it to San Jose.

Or better yet Keith retires AND this happens. All the sudden we have a top 6 power forward on a league minimum AND an extra 8.1 million to play with. If that happens I'm gonna go into every Ken Holland thread I've flamed him in to apologize (and there's a lot of them lol).

This will sound dumb for a lot of folks - but! - if they traded Nurse for a sound deal, and gets out with a lower cap, they get rid of 9m$.

Everything is about value, and Nurse is NOT worth 9m$, Sorry bro´s.
In what world did he think that he was more worth than Draisaitl...

But once again. 1Ds , you cant find- you draft´em.
Nobody is taking Nurse's contract my dude. We'd probably have to give up assets to move him at this point. What's done is done might as well just pray he improves to become a true #1 next year.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This is a Superstar goalie who has taken a step down because of the team he plays for. I'd run to get him

He’s been bad for 3 years now, while other goalies have been decent there. Plus it will cost a lot more than he’s worth.

One of Broberg / Bourgault / Holloway + 1st plus more with cap going back would hit the prospect depth.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
First of all, sign me up for some more underrated Leafs rejects.

Stauffer is probably referring to Keith potentially retiring. But another possibility and my personal preference, is the possibility that the Sharks lose the grievance outright AND don't get to reinstate Kane's contract.
Why Kane's playoff success with Oilers might be good for Sharks

"If Kane wins his grievance, after this season, the Sharks will owe him $19 million of actual cash over the next three seasons, $7 million AAV against the cap. But the impending free-agent Kane won’t get to double-dip. Say the Oilers re-sign him to a three-year, $15 million deal ($5 million AAV) this summer – that would reduce what the Sharks owe Kane in real money, and turn a $7 million cap hit into a $2 million hit.

So in theory, the better that Kane plays, the more relief that the Sharks could receive, in cash, and perhaps most importantly, on the cap. The cap-strapped Sharks will need all the help that they can get to improve the team this offseason."

What that means is that if Kane can't convince an opposing team to give him over 7 million the next 3 years, then he can potentially sign for the league minimum 750k for next year and force the Sharks to cough up the other 6.25 million. And given the history between player and team Kane will absolutely have incentive to stick it to San Jose.

Or better yet Keith retires AND this happens. All the sudden we have a top 6 power forward on a league minimum AND an extra 8.1 million to play with. If that happens I'm gonna go into every Ken Holland thread I've flamed him in to apologize (and there's a lot of them lol).
If that happened, you'd have to think we would be all in for the next 3 years....like trade all your picks/prospects all in

Reactions: vaniitio

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Imagine.

Keith + Smith retire giving us like 11 mil in cap space.
Kassian traded giving us 14 mil in cap space.
Grievance stuff works itself out so we're paying Kane league min.

Would Holland be considered the greatest GM ever at that point? It's currently looking like he's a bit of a goofball in the cap era, but if these things happen...he's a genius.

Imagine going into free agency able to land multiple high profile guys?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unless Holland is certain he’s bringing in someone like Deslauriers, losing Kane and Kassian this offseason will leave the Oilers as pretty soft. They don’t really have any functional toughness in the lineup without them. Would still have size, grit and forechecking ability, sure, but would be soft otherwise
Agreed, I'd even be down with adding a guy like Gudbranson as our #6/7D. If Keith decides to retire suddenly this could be our D:

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Gudbranson
Niemelainen

That's a good mix of skill and physicality IMO.
So Kane was out golfing Friday in Edmonton with some Oiler management according to Stauffer? Interesting....
I still have hope that he comes back, we really should be trying to bring him back by doing anything within reason.
Stauffer "suggesting" that the Oilers will have more cap space than some originally thought.

Also said look to a more subtle deal with an Easter Canadian team for a guy who is a ufa in 2023 (Connor Brown is my guess).
That must mean that Keith is retiring or as Trafalgar says that Kane somehow sticks it to the Sharks?

Players that fit that criteria:
Montreal-Jake Allen, Paul Byron, Jonathan Drouin
Ottawa-Connor Brown, Austin Watson, Travis Hamonic, Artem Zub, MDZ, Nick Holden
Toronto-Alex Kerfoot, David Kampf, Michael Bunting, Wayne Simmonds, Justin Holl (barf)

He also made the interesting comment that he's not so sure that there would be extra 3M cap savings if he did retire--so, just the 5.5M total. "Don't quote me on that", but I wonder if he'a been hearing something.
I like the leadership that he brings, but if he could work for the club in a coaching position and still provide that knowledge it would be huge for our cap situation.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Uncle Katz is going to pay them under the table
If he got caught doing that we would be so f***ed, like Calgary gets our next 10 1st round picks f***ed.
He’s been bad for 3 years now, while other goalies have been decent there. Plus it will cost a lot more than he’s worth.

One of Broberg / Bourgault / Holloway + 1st plus more with cap going back would hit the prospect depth.
My concern would be that he's fallen off a cliff like Matt Murray has. A buy low candidate, not someone that you pay for being great 3 years ago.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Agreed, I'd even be down with adding a guy like Gudbranson as our #6/7D. If Keith decides to retire suddenly this could be our D:

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Gudbranson
Niemelainen

That's a good mix of skill and physicality IMO.

I still have hope that he comes back, we really should be trying to bring him back by doing anything within reason.

That must mean that Keith is retiring or as Trafalgar says that Kane somehow sticks it to the Sharks?

Players that fit that criteria:
Montreal-Jake Allen, Paul Byron, Jonathan Drouin
Ottawa-Connor Brown, Austin Watson, Travis Hamonic, Artem Zub, MDZ, Nick Holden
Toronto-Alex Kerfoot, David Kampf, Michael Bunting, Wayne Simmonds, Justin Holl (barf)

I like the leadership that he brings, but if he could work for the club in a coaching position and still provide that knowledge it would be huge for our cap situation.
Artem Zub is UFA next year? Didn't even know that. Gimme gimme gimme gimme. Him and Brown are the most interesting names on that list (I'm assuming Bunting is nigh untouchable given the Leafs' cap situation).

Also Broberg is better on the right side and Kulak hasn't shown ability to handle high QoC competition over a full season before he's only done it for short stints as injury replacement. We need at least one more genuine matchup stud in the top 4.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If he got caught doing that we would be so f***ed, like Calgary gets our next 10 1st round picks f***ed.

My concern would be that he's fallen off a cliff like Matt Murray has. A buy low candidate, not someone that you pay for being great 3 years ago.
As long as Katz is not as blatant as McDavid then it'll be fine lol

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They're not spending 4 million on a 3rd line forward especially one with any term. Also moving Kassian and maybe even Foegele may cost a pick, so many teams want to move contracts that teams taking back money are going to want to be compensated.

They may likely have to spend a pick on a goalie too as I don't see anyone on the UFA market who can play 50 games but is willing to sign for less than 3.5 million.

The Oilers are not getting a Reimer or Blackwood for free via trade.

Don't think Connor and Leon are going to be happy with Holland if he lets Kane walk and then does dick all with the top 6 either. They got a taste of playing with better run support, it will be difficult to sell them on the idea of going back unless you are giving them someone in net or on the back end they view as a real upgrade.
I think they'd be even more unhappy seeing the limited cap that's available spent on a one dimensional offensive forward trying to recreate some of the likely unsustainable offense that was generated over that short period.

You paint those two to be the most idiotic pair when it comes to how they view game. Those lines generated offense at an elite rate well before Kane or even Hyman signed in Edmonton. The last place this roster needs to spend money is on Connor's line.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I would definitely trade for Gibson, if he's willing to come here...he plays behind a brutal defense in Anaheim so his numbers were skewed a bit and he's only 28 years old..plus he's been to a Conference final before and a change in scenery could do wonders

he faced the 7th most shots in the league last year (with the least amount of games played) and the Ducks as a team gave up a ton of shots (7th most again)

under Woodcroft, I can see Gibson thriving here like Smith did

and we would FINALLY have a legit #1 goaltender signed long-term..the first time in forever that has happened

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Imagine.

Keith + Smith retire giving us like 11 mil in cap space.
Kassian traded giving us 14 mil in cap space.
Grievance stuff works itself out so we're paying Kane league min.

Would Holland be considered the greatest GM ever at that point? It's currently looking like he's a bit of a goofball in the cap era, but if these things happen...he's a genius.

Imagine going into free agency able to land multiple high profile guys?
Praying to god two massive blunders retire and someone is dumb enough to trade for kassian (this will not happen he has negative value) would certainly not make the man a genius. Maybe the luckiest gm alive but not a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad