Rumor: Rumors or Proposals Thread | Who Do You Look to Move on From in the Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Katz can even give him a raise to 2 million and have him actually do real work with some new fancy job title like "defenseman playmaking decision making development coach" or something. He can just drop in once every few weeks to give Bouchard/Broberg some pointers and try to make Nurse somewhat less stupid.
The NHL would be all over that. He can simply be “advisor to owner” as many ex-players- but NHL will be watching that like a hawk. Plus Keith says he wants to sign another deal after this. Retiring- he is not

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Katz can even give him a raise to 2 million and have him actually do real work with some new fancy job title like "defenseman playmaking decision making development coach" or something. He can just drop in once every few weeks to give Bouchard/Broberg some pointers and try to make Nurse somewhat less stupid.
Name once where this has happened? Maybe Iam wrong..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So if Chicago is trying to tank next year for Bedard... Keith retiring would actually be helping them? No?
You would think. There was a time where their were rumblings that Keith wouldn't want to hurt Chicago with the cap penalty, but that was when people had expectations they were going to be doing well the next few years.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
So if Chicago is trying to tank next year for Bedard... Keith retiring would actually be helping them? No?
No. 7.5 million is absolutely massive massive massive for a rebuilding team. People don't realize how much leverage extra cap space is. Patrick Marleau's 6.25 million was dumped for a 1st round pick. Andrew Ladd's 5.5 million was dumped for two 2nds and a 3rd. Being able to eat 7.5 million in cap space from cap strapped teams would land Chicago something like a 1st+2nd from cap strapped contenders.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If Keith retires without the Oilers offering him a job. The league is not going to investigate.

But if he retires because he got offered a position on the Oilers, the league is going to investigate?

Keith is almost 40. Not like he's 25 and deciding to retire because the Oilers offered him a 5M job.
The team can offer him a position. It just has to be with compensation that is reasonable for the role and a role that is within reason of his skill set.

Good. This is a smart move.

Reactions: McDoused

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That is definitely cap circumvention.

Oh yeah, it is 110% cap circumvention. I'm saying it would be practically impossible to prove. Katz owns quite a few companies, and likely owns "numbered account" companies that are offshore as well (as almost all billionaires do). If Katz wanted to funnel money to Keith, there is a 0% chance the NHL would find out about it. Again, I don't think this will happen, I'm just saying it could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canovin

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
when has this ever happened?

Well, that is just it, we would never know whether it has happened or not. Truthfully, I'm not sure that there has been a situation like the one we have in front of us with Keith that would WARRANT such a thing happening before. Maybe there has, but it takes a pretty specific set of circumstances (older player at retirement age, who doesn't make nearly as much actual money as his cap hit, on a team that desperately needs cap room, and the player has to have won enough hardware that coming back to play another year doesn't increase his chance at the hall/legacy at all, and you need a stupid rich owner willing to do whatever it takes). It is pretty specific. However, if it has happened before, the public wouldn't know about it, because the whole idea is to keep it secret from the public.

Again, I except Keith to be back with the team next year, in no way do I actually expect this to happen. I'm just stating that it could happen, and we (and the NHL) would never know.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Happy to have him back, if he's our 13th forward to start the season it likely means Holland F'd up somewhere along the way, but the exact kind of vet I want in the AHL helping our prospect along and if we are inundated with injuries, I'm very comfortable playing him for short stints.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Good. This is a smart move.
Mclellan/Chiarelli picks were just bad timing. They didn't add the short lived manager compensation rule specifically because the Oilers were looking for a new GM/Coach.

The pick in the Lucic/Neal deal was rather bullsh*t though.
The League recognized that the rule was a bad one but they still made the Oilers pay. The reality was that the Bruins actually gained from the Oilers signing Chia since they no longer had to pay him bug dollars for twiddling his thumbs. The League should have cancelled the compensation. They have done this before when changing rules that were deemed punitive. This is especially true given the value of a 2nd round pick.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Oh yeah, it is 110% cap circumvention. I'm saying it would be practically impossible to prove. Katz owns quite a few companies, and likely owns "numbered account" companies that are offshore as well (as almost all billionaires do). If Katz wanted to funnel money to Keith, there is a 0% chance the NHL would find out about it. Again, I don't think this will happen, I'm just saying it could.
It is hard to prove until its not. Keith would have no jeopardy from this so if he said anything to anyone or if the relationship between he and the team went bad the team would have big problems.

If Keith is willing to retire get him to agree to be traded for a buyout.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The League recognized that the rule was a bad one but they still made the Oilers pay. The reality was that the Bruins actually gained from the Oilers signing Chia since they no longer had to pay him bug dollars for twiddling his thumbs. The League should have cancelled the compensation. They have done this before when changing rules that were deemed punitive. This is especially true given the value of a 2nd round pick.
It was a bad rule, implemented poorly, and lasted all of a year as a result. Oilers got hit a hard by it, but they weren't the only ones as two 2nd round picks and five 3rd round picks were given up in total during the year the rule was in effect, none of which were given back or canceled.

The Oilers weren't specifically targeted by it which was the point of my post.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It’s very likely we’re on his no trade list.

Not sure how many times we have to do this dance before people get that some players will just never want to come here.
That may have changed with the Playoff run we just had. Players sometimes want to win and not suck constantly in a great, warm nice city

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It is hard to prove until its not. Keith would have no jeopardy from this so if he said anything to anyone or if the relationship between he and the team went bad the team would have big problems.

If Keith is willing to retire get him to agree to be traded for a buyout.

Well, Keith wouldn't have nay jeopardy from it once he was done his "contract". Before then he would have all the contract money to lose. He would also have his image to preserve, as like you said, this is CLEARLY cap circumvention and would rightly be looked at as cheating.

Anyways, its all just for fun. Keith isn't going to retire, and money-bags Katz isn't going to offer an under the table deal to make it happen.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Stauffer "suggesting" that the Oilers will have more cap space than some originally thought.

Also said look to a more subtle deal with an Easter Canadian team for a guy who is a ufa in 2023 (Connor Brown is my guess).

Smith and Keith

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So he’s a crappy goalie, overrated, and doesn’t have any competitive fire or desire to play on a winning team. Hard pass.

He's not a crappy goalie. Why would he admit to stupid media clowns that he wants to leave?

That could very well be a real position considering elite hockey IQ is the only thing Keith has left and it's the only thing Nurse lacks.

If Nurse didn't have good hockey IQ, he wouldn't be a #2 Dman.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I could see Bettman launching an investigation if Keith retired this season even without a new job title with the Oilers, with all the cap circumvention that has been going on last decade example Tampa, what a perfect time to clean it up centering on a Canadian team.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I could see Bettman launching an investigation if Keith retired this season even without a new job title with the Oilers, with all the cap circumvention that has been going on last decade example Tampa, what a perfect time to clean it up centering on a Canadian team.
Players can retire any time that they want. There would be nothing to investigate. It's the LTIRetirements that are sketchy. But there is nothing in place that would prevent a player from retiring of their own volition and taking a front-office job, nor should there.

Reactions: McDoused

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Players can retire any time that they want. There would be nothing to investigate. It's the LTIRetirements that are sketchy. But there is nothing in place that would prevent a player from retiring of their own volition and taking a front-office job, nor should there.
Well that would depend on how the guy is being compensated and could be investigated if there was a complaint by someone. If an NHL player is making 2 million a year and he moves into a front office job that normally pays $200,000 a year but the team is paying him 2 million there is an issue.

However this being the NHL it would only ever be looked at if it was done by one of their non darling teams, like the oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad