Rumor: Rumors or Proposals Thread | Who Do You Look to Move on From in the Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
From the CBA,

He is UNDRAFTED the notwithstanding does not apply.
Then take us off the list then. A team like Vancouver could offer him $2m+, which we should definitely not be doing.

These Russian UFAs flop far more frequently than not.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I've been away from hockey news the last several days so I'm late to the game on the Keith news. Well, not much news but speculation. It would obviously be massive if Keith does retire but I give it virtually no chance at happening. The guy seems to love playing and he's still reasonably effective so I'd be shocked if he retired but it's interesting that management is even discussing it with him so until he's officially back next season, I'll still cling to the faint hope that he does the Oilers a huge favor.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
He has to sign a 1 year ELC.
ARTICLE 9 ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION 9.1 Applicability and Duration. Effective with SPCs entered into after the execution of this Agreement: (a) No Club may enter into an SPC with a Rookie that provides for compensation in excess of that permitted by this Article. (b) Subject to subsection (c) below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie, and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below, and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1 Player":

First SPC Signing Age Period Covered by First SPC and Years in the Entry Level System and Subject to Compensation Limits

18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System and not subject to limits on compensation

(c)

Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances

He's undrafted and over 25 so NO ELC, you keep saying he has to sign an ELC but don't provide any context or prof.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
ARTICLE 9 ENTRY LEVEL COMPENSATION 9.1 Applicability and Duration. Effective with SPCs entered into after the execution of this Agreement: (a) No Club may enter into an SPC with a Rookie that provides for compensation in excess of that permitted by this Article. (b) Subject to subsection (c) below, the period covered by the SPC for every Rookie, and the number of years that such Player will be in the Entry Level System and subject to the compensation limits set out in this Article, shall be as indicated on the chart immediately below, and during such period, the Player shall be deemed to be a "Group 1 Player":

First SPC Signing Age Period Covered by First SPC and Years in the Entry Level System and Subject to Compensation Limits

18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25 and older No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System and not subject to limits on compensation

(c)

Notwithstanding the chart set forth in (b) above, a Player who at the time he was drafted was playing for a team outside North America or who meets the qualifications set forth in Article 8.4(a)(v) (a "European Player") who signs his first SPC at ages 25-27 shall be subject to the Entry Level System for one (1) year. A European Player who signs his first SPC at age 28 or older is not subject to the Entry Level System under any circumstances
He is considered a “European player”.

He needs a 1 year ELC

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
just to clerify. I jave been looking at Gibson for awhile and have no problem tossing picks and prospects to get him

my guess is the ducks will ask for Hollow, Broberg and maybe 2 1st

Everyone in the league knows our goalies cost us the playoffs and they will make us bleed to fill that need

Reactions: OilerBaron

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This will sound dumb for a lot of folks - but! - if they traded Nurse for a sound deal, and gets out with a lower cap, they get rid of 9m$.

Everything is about value, and Nurse is NOT worth 9m$, Sorry bro´s.
In what world did he think that he was more worth than Draisaitl...

But once again. 1Ds , you cant find- you draft´em.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Stauffer "suggesting" that the Oilers will have more cap space than some originally thought.
he believes keith will retired--freeing up the cap hit of 5+ and 3+ due to his cap hit was more than his actual pay

Keith back to the Hawks for our 3rd and he retires a hawk and we can all pretend this year did not happen

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
From the CBA,

He is UNDRAFTED the notwithstanding does not apply.
As Tobias Kahun points out the devil is in the or. He is European so it seems that the "drafted" clause may not apply here. The way it is written is somewhat ambiguous. It could be drafted and European or European. The latter makes the most sense which would mean he would as I expected require an ELC.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
he believes keith will retired--freeing up the cap hit of 5+ and 3+ due to his cap hit was more than his actual pay

Keith back to the Hawks for our 3rd and he retires a hawk and we can all pretend this year did not happen
He also made the interesting comment that he's not so sure that there would be extra 3M cap savings if he did retire--so, just the 5.5M total. "Don't quote me on that", but I wonder if he'a been hearing something.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Someone on here said his buyout would cost less than 1 mill against the cap, is that true?
Yes, less than 1m this year and years 3 and 4. Next offseason would be the biggest hit, 1.9m on the cap so only a 1.3m savings next offseason.

If they could trade him retaining 1m without attaching an asset that's probably best but I'm not sure that a team would take him at 2.2m for two years without asking for an asset in addition unless Holland found another Holland to do him a favor so I think they'll probably have to buy him out.

A Kassian buyout doesn't really make sense.

Let's say you replace him with a $1.5M player. That means you save $1M next season and actually pay about $200k more the next season then add the ~$1M for two more seasons after that.

Same for retention. You'll essentially being paying the same if you trade him at 50% and replace him with a $1.5M player. That only makes sense if that $1.5M player is a lot better than Kassian and that probably won't happen if they're coming from UFA.

They pretty much have to trade him at close to full cap hit to come out ahead financially.
It's only a 966K difference this offseason (the most critical offseason) if they trade him at full salary as opposed to a buyout. Is that really worth giving up a 1st?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He also made the interesting comment that he's not so sure that there would be extra 3M cap savings if he did retire--so, just the 5.5M total. "Don't quote me on that", but I wonder if he'a been hearing something.
according to both puckpedia and capfriendly--because his cap hit was over what he got paid--the oilers would get that money back--while the hawks get f***ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad