Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | How Likely Are Trades Out of the North Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Calling him an elite level player is like calling Erik Gustafsson an elite level player.

And do you really think that you could pump his value enough for a team to pay something significant in a few months at the deadline when no one is willing to take him for free today? Even if you could. Is it worth having that cancer around your team? Is it worth the bad press on picking him up?
Elite-level skilled player.

I think you could get something for him on the rental market if you were willing to take expiring contracts to off-set his salary for the year. His buyout is moveable.

What kind of press on Ottawa is good this season? I think DJ Smith is in a beggars can't be choosers situation right now and that team needs an influx of talent to get anything started. Dorion, on the other hand, shouldn't be turning away free assets.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Hypothetically, if Ottawa claims Chiasson, he goes down the hallway to the visitors' room tomorrow and will proceed to score a pair of goals against the Oilers.

iu

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why do people think Ottawa would claim Chiasson? They already have a slew of not so great vets and prospects trying to solidify a roster spot. How does claiming another overpaid, bottom six vet help them at all?

He hasn't been able to cash in playing with McDrai on the PP, and he's gonna cash in with Ottawa?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If we weren't the team we were today and we were a bottom dweller with available cap space, I wouldn't be against picking him up either. If you have a strong voice in the room, a guy like him gets put in his place. Darnell would f***. him. up.

You have to trust that your coach has the ability to put people in a situation to be the best player possible. A team with a low bar is a perfect situation for a guy who scored among the elites a season ago. The further you send him down the depth chart, the more difficult it is to sustain that level of production.

Him clearing is another example of GMs in this league being idiots and teams being too worried about public relations.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If we weren't the team we were today and we were a bottom dweller with available cap space, I wouldn't be against picking him up either. If you have a strong voice in the room, a guy like him gets put in his place. Darnell would f***. him. up.

You have to trust that your coach has the ability to put people in a situation to be the best player possible. A team with a low bar is a perfect situation for a guy who scored among the elites a season ago. The further you send him down the depth chart, the more difficult it is to sustain that level of production.

Him clearing is another example of GMs in this league being idiots and teams being too worried about public relations.

He’s worn out his welcome pretty quickly everywhere he goes in the NHL.

It’s not a PR issue.

It’s a desire to not introduce a toxic personality into the locker room.

Reactions: TB12 and Skar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The guy is a first class asshole, going on years now, and carries a near $5M caphit. This goes beyond just "public relations hit", it's not wanting to take the chance on introducing a really toxic player to the locker room who carries an expensive caphit.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
This is a guy who is throwing his career worth millions away, just because he can't resist being an asshole.

How many chances and wake up calls does it take? Keep that garbage away.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s worn out his welcome pretty quickly everywhere he goes in the NHL.

It’s not a PR issue.

It’s a desire to not introduce a toxic personality into the locker room.
I think 'toxic' personalities are a lot more common in the NHL than we care to admit.

Also, how is it not PR? He's a known problem player who was just given away by his hockey team. He'll be a story for your team all season.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Interestingly enough, they played together in the Soo. So I'm sure Darnell knows him all too well.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Is D'angelo an douch or he's just a flat earther?

Or am I mistaking him with Kyrie Irving?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

He’s a douche, with multiple incidents all the way back to junior. I can’t recall a single instance a team mate has had a good thing to say about him.

A quick google search will lead you to multiple stories, right back to a slur used on his own teammate in 2014

Reactions: Canovin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Darnell should maybe focus on using his energy to call out the current players we have. Not worrying about breaking his hand on an idiot that is bigger than a public relations issue

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If they didn't claim Ennis, hard to see them claiming Chiasson.
Different strengths and weaknesses for each player, while I see Ennis as both better and cheaper, if a team is looking for a bigger body who's better defensively and can provide some net front presence he better fills that role.

That said I'm about 98% confident that he clears.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Both. The guy is dumb as a post and will refuse to take accountability for his actions. He's the epitome of an uncoachable player. But when you give him rope, he gives you results.

Reactions: frag2

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Different strengths and weaknesses for each player, while I see Ennis as both better and cheaper, if a team is looking for a bigger body who's better defensively and can provide some net front presence he better fills that role.

That said I'm about 98% confident that he clears.
They've got a few of those guys already. I really like the way Nick Paul plays. Austin Watson isn't terrible either. Don't get me wrong though, If love for them to grab Chiasson. I just don't see it.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Wowowow nooooooo.
I find it crazy the ends Oilers fans will go to resist the thought of the Oilers trading for a #1 dman. We haven't had one since Pronger and it shows. Do you think we'd be able to throw Kassian and Chiasson at CBJ to get them to trade us Jones?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If the reports are to believed, he first chirped, then tried to fight, HIS OWN GOALIE after a loss, and Krieder laid him out for it.

He's also racist AF, and apparently kept the game puck from K'Andre Miller's first NHL goal instead of giving it to him.

When nobody wants a defenceman that had 53 point in 68 games for free, you have to assume he's a mega-douche.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I find it crazy the ends Oilers fans will go to resist the thought of the Oilers trading for a #1 dman. We haven't had one since Pronger and it shows. Do you think we'd be able to throw Kassian and Chiasson at CBJ to get them to trade us Jones?

We're not a Jones away from competing from a Cup, and he's a UFA at the end of next year that in no way shape or form will stay in Canada.

That's just throwing away 4 strong assets to try to win a Cup next year. Remember how awful we were after Lowe went all in on a cup in 06 then all the free agents left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad