Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | How Likely Are Trades Out of the North Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Against Ottawa makes some sense if they have concerns with him.

With that being said not a good look if you are one of the other d-men that can't solidify yourself a spot against Ottawa last night.

Bouchard didn't play last night because of a rookie goalie. Watch Tippetts interview from today too. He said sometimes the taxi squad made it a problem to get Bouchard on the roster since we already have what 8 Dmen on it? Along with Bouchards injury, I could see why it was such a pain to get him on it

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Couple points here:

1) I think we are a Jones away from being a cup contender. He is the one major missing piece, everything else we as fans would want I'd consider more of a luxury (another winger, better 3C, a top 10 goalie). He'd push everyone down the lineup into their correct places, and having him on the ice for nearly half the game of every game would be huge defensively.

2) I think there's a chance the Oilers could sell themselves to Jones. His brother plays for the team. This is a team with arguably the 2 best players in the entire NHL and in desperate need of a #1 dman. Holland could pitch to him that he'd have to potential to be the Letang to Crosby/Malkin, the Doughty to Kopitar/Carter, the Keith to Kane/Toews- all of whom went on to win 2+ cups. Jones is a top athlete and undoubtably wants to win and there is no core he completes better than the Oilers. Coming to Edmonton would be the kind of move where Jones is eyeing multiple cups rather than just winning some playoffs series in a warm city. Also in terms of personal success getting PP1 minutes with McDrai could get him enough offense to be in the Norris conversation.

Edmonton probably won't be his first choice, but I wouldn't say "no shape or form he stays in Canada". There would be some appeal that I'm sure he and his agent would consider. Even considering his political affliations most America's large cities (the ones with NHL teams) lean pretty heavily left. Only the rural regions are hard right, and they don't have hockey teams, so I wouldn't expect that to be a massive factor in his decision making process.
I would be all in for Seth Jones. Pure #1 Dman. If I remember correctly, Nashville decided to trade Jones for RyJo instead of trading him to us for RNH. Imagine if that trade had actually gone our way

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If KK looked like ass with Barrie wait till he's up there with Bouchard

From what I saw, Barrie was the weak link on that Barrie/KK pairing.

I don't know what the right move is, but Larsson needs to sit. A pure defender who can't defend is pretty much useless.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010

I don't know what the right move is, but Larsson needs to sit. A pure defender who can't defend is pretty much useless.

Larson is 3 goals from a career season high through 11 games and we want to sit him....:huh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

KK sat last game because he is horrendous at identifying and defending passing lanes. His defensive game is very suspect. Barrie, on otherhand, has thrived having his minutes elevated.

And saying Larsson can't defend kind of proves that you're not looking at his defense, you're magnifying his errors. He's spent the majority of his season tied to one of Jones or KK playing a large chunk of his minutes with forward lines who've been largely outplayed. Over the past several games his ice time has been elevated and his on-ice results have improved.

Replace Larsson with Bouchard and I have a feeling you'll have a team that's spending a lot more time in its in own zone. Particularly if he's the one playing with the plugs.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The team should run 7 D and 11 forwards every game. Once they do it, expect a huge positive push in underlying numbers from the extra minutes that McDavid and Draisaitl are playing. If they got creative, they even have a guy like Nuge who could take an extra shift as a centre, so it doesn't mean that that McDavid and Draisaitl are playing 30 minutes.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He certainly has missed converting a few rebound chances, but I’d legitimately like to know how you imagine the net front guy on an Oilers PP is supposed to create offense beyond what Chiasson is doing. He is standing in there taking the abuse and screening the goalie. The Oilers almost never use the point shot (I almost fell off my couch when Barrie actually shot last night) so tip-in opportunities are rare. Just askin.

He does a good job at puck retrieval too. I think we've all been let down by the finish but early on the PP's issue was the big 3 not Chiasson even if he wasn't the answer. His job is to create room as a presence in front, get to loose pucks and rebounds, and screen the goalie. He did that yesterday on the Barrie goal VERY well, not a ton of guys have the balls to do that. People panic too much on here, Chiasson's played 6 games and people are already writing him off as an NHLer. lol. He deserves his trip to the Taxi squad but it's not like he's been playing with titans on the 4th line. I think Chiasson is what he's always been, a 4th line guy who can help a PP and agitate a bit. Is he overpaid? Sure. But how was anyone to know the pandemic would be a thing and Chiasson was worth his dollars last year as a member of a historic PP. It's a long season in a short period of time, I'd imagine he'll prove useful yet.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I would be all in for Seth Jones. Pure #1 Dman. If I remember correctly, Nashville decided to trade Jones for RyJo instead of trading him to us for RNH. Imagine if that trade had actually gone our way

Really can't see Jones leaving Columbus. GM Jarmo was just on 31 Thoughts podcast in damage control over the theory that Columbus is an undesirable place for star players to play. You best believe he's going to be all-in on keeping Jones to prove his point. Pair that with Jones sharing the same agent as Werenski and being an American player. I just don't see it.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The team should run 7 D and 11 forwards every game. Once they do it, expect a huge positive push in underlying numbers from the extra minutes that McDavid and Draisaitl are playing. If they got creative, they even have a guy like Nuge who could take an extra shift as a centre, so it doesn't mean that that McDavid and Draisaitl are playing 30 minutes.

I think the Oilers have to try and limit the minutes of the top guys when possible. It's going to be a war of attrition with teams playing 4 games a week. Wearing out your best players so you can lose in the playoffs is a legit possibility in a season like this. I don't mind rotating depth in and out as it's needed as these fringe players will become more valuable as injuries accumulate. Your plan is great in the playoffs but not in the regular season IMO.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
But we would not have gotten McDavid or Draisaitl then because we would've won more games lol
We were destined to win McDavid. It’s our constant getting back at Toronto. Gretzky feasted on Toronto for years, now McDavid will. There is nothing better then getting back at Leafnation and the sports writers of that shitty team

Reactions: Biltmore

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yep. It only took Yzerman and Chayka one season to figure out he’s not worth keeping. It took Gorton a little longer, but he finally did as well. DeAngelo may as well take that stupid contract he got as a huge win and go off to Russia at this point

It's almost impressive...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Really can't see Jones leaving Columbus. GM Jarmo was just on 31 Thoughts podcast in damage control over the theory that Columbus is an undesirable place for star players to play. You best believe he's going to be all-in on keeping Jones to prove his point. Pair that with Jones sharing the same agent as Werenski and being an American player. I just don't see it.
I got a plan on how we will get Seth. We will kidnap him and when it’s time to give him back, we give them Caleb. It should work

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the Oilers have to try and limit the minutes of the top guys when possible. It's going to be a war of attrition with teams playing 4 games a week. Wearing out your best players so you can lose in the playoffs is a legit possibility in a season like this. I don't mind rotating depth in and out as it's needed as these fringe players will become more valuable as injuries accumulate. Your plan is great in the playoffs but not in the regular season IMO.
I don't think you need to play the top guys with that line necessarily. Use the extra spot to elevate the minutes of someone having a strong game. The challenge there is executing it.

I think that is clear our #1 need right now aside from a healthy backup is a reliable checking line center. Until then, it wouldn't hurt running Bouchard as a 7D here and there.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Is it possible to terminate ADA's contract without him getting paid? Did LA have to payout Voynov during that situation?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think you need to play the top guys with that line necessarily. Use the extra spot to elevate the minutes of someone having a strong game. The challenge there is executing it.

I think that is clear our #1 need right now aside from a healthy backup is a reliable checking line center. Until then, it wouldn't hurt running Bouchard as a 7D here and there.

Can't get a checking center without giving one the minutes to grow. If Turris is going to rebound he needs the opportunity to work out of it, if Haas is going to take another step he needs the minutes to prove it. They need to grow the depth on this team into reliable contributors and they need the opportunity to grow and play if they're going to improve. Good teams improve through the course of the year and it's fair to suggest theirs more room for improvement in the bottom 6 than with the top guys. I think rotating D in and out can keep the D fresh and playing as injuries will almost inevitably give opportunity to all 9 guys with the big club. They need to get guys going and a lot of guys haven't got long looks yet. Giving up on players isn't good coaching and it's an easy way to lose the room.

I love the idea of giving Bouchard minutes but they can without saying screw it to the bottom 6. One day you've got 9 healthy D and the next it's 7, happens all the time. It makes sense to be sure to get him in the game, it's been awhile since he's played, but lets see what he does first before throwing in the towel on the bottom 6. I think there's a real chance he gets in and never looks back but that becomes a day by day situation and eventually somebody has to sit on the right side for him when Bear comes back. That's a great problem to have in a long hard season. I don't have an issue with here and there like you said but most nights I think you want 4 lines rolling and the ability to keep the top 6 fresh.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We were destined to win McDavid. It’s our constant getting back at Toronto. Gretzky feasted on Toronto for years, now McDavid will. There is nothing better then getting back at Leafnation and the sports writers of that shitty team
The best part was they changed how the draft lottery worked to stop us from getting more high picks. And then we won him anyways.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can't get a checking center without giving one the minutes to grow. If Turris is going to rebound he needs the opportunity to work out of it, if Haas is going to take another step he needs the minutes to prove it. They need to grow the depth on this team into reliable contributors and they need the opportunity to grow and play if they're going to improve. Good teams improve through the course of the year and it's fair to suggest theirs more room for improvement in the bottom 6 than with the top guys. I think rotating D in and out can keep the D fresh and playing as injuries will almost inevitably give opportunity to all 9 guys with the big club. They need to get guys going and a lot of guys haven't got long looks yet. Giving up on players isn't good coaching and it's an easy way to lose the room.

I love the idea of giving Bouchard minutes but they can without saying screw it to the bottom 6. One day you've got 9 healthy D and the next it's 7, happens all the time. It makes sense to be sure to get him in the game, it's been awhile since he's played, but lets see what he does first before throwing in the towel on the bottom 6. I think there's a real chance he gets in and never looks back but that becomes a day by day situation and eventually somebody has to sit on the right side for him when Bear comes back. That's a great problem to have in a long hard season. I don't have an issue with here and there like you said but most nights I think you want 4 lines rolling and the ability to keep the top 6 fresh.
I agree. I'm just saying that the only way you should be introducing Bouchard into this roster is as a 7th D. I don't think we have the LD depth to coddle him nor do we have the forward depth to properly support him.

I still have high hopes for Turris and hope he starts clicking with somebody eventually. There are a lot of guys on this roster who need to get their feet moving. Haas looked good in a short period of time. Maybe there's something there.

Reactions: Samus44

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So what you are saying is that we need a time machine to change the past. Alright then.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
KK sat last game because he is horrendous at identifying and defending passing lanes. His defensive game is very suspect. Barrie, on otherhand, has thrived having his minutes elevated.

And saying Larsson can't defend kind of proves that you're not looking at his defense, you're magnifying his errors. He's spent the majority of his season tied to one of Jones or KK playing a large chunk of his minutes with forward lines who've been largely outplayed. Over the past several games his ice time has been elevated and his on-ice results have improved.

Replace Larsson with Bouchard and I have a feeling you'll have a team that's spending a lot more time in its in own zone. Particularly if he's the one playing with the plugs.
One thing I will say.

Larsson has a xGA/60 of 2.2

Heres his breakdowns with different partners

Caleb Jones w/ Adam Larsson 81:37. gf% 50. xGF% of 57.38. HDCF/A 14/10 56%
Caleb Jones w/o Adam Larsson 14:31. gf% 0. xGF% of 49.91. HDCF/A 4/5 44.44%

4k w/ Adam Larsson 41:58. gf% 25. xGF% 33.98. HDCF/A 6/10 37.50%
4k w/o Adam Larsson 73:37. gf% 25. xGF% 53.63 HDCF/A 21/14 60%

4K has good advanced stats away from Larsson, but together they clearly don't work, Caleb Jones is much better with Larsson than he is without even if it is a limited sample size.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad