Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | How Likely Are Trades Out of the North Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Think it's gonna be hard to make any meaningful trades this year based on covid protocols and because the only options aside from that are division rivals.

Reactions: TB12

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Oilers should be so desperate for skill that I would claim Pirri and play in the 1st line with Nuge and McDavid. He is so much like Hoffman, with a real opportunity he could post decent numbers. Good offensive instincts and wicked shot. Kassian does nothing to have any sort of difference.

Kassian NHL career 0.34 PPG
Pirri NHL career 0.44 PPG

When Pirri got some kind of chance he had 12-6-18 in 31 games with Vegas.

Edit. And it is sad that you could find an upgrade to your 1st line from waivers. Even if he is crappy at defending he would at least be useful in offensive zone.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
With all the bodies we already aren't cycling in and out of the lineup, do we really think they'll make more waiver wire forward claims on tweeners?

Not that I think Pirri would be a bad pickup at all.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With all the bodies we already aren't cycling in and out of the lineup, do we really think they'll make more waiver wire forward claims on tweeners?

Not that I think Pirri would be a bad pickup at all.
The guy can't even make the Blackhawks. There is a reason he is on waivers and been with so many clubs over the years.

Although he would fit in perfect in our bottom 6 as another lackluster player that isn't doing enough to be on the roster.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The guy can't even make the Blackhawks. There is a reason he is on waivers and been with so many clubs over the years.

Although he would fit in perfect in our bottom 6 as another lackluster player that isn't doing enough to be on the roster.
Let's not talk like the Hawks are a shit team again. We've been down that road once :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If we do make some trades at some point this season, with the whole quarantine situation, would they be out of division?
I don't know that you see blockbuster player for player like deals.

I do however see the potential for picks/prospects for NHL body like deals. I'd also add there generally isn't a lot of major trades anyway during the year so it's not like we'd be missing a lot compared to other years.

TDD could be very different that's for sure. Even within the division you could very well see teams make deals and not really care that the player might be with the other team next year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Let's not talk like the Hawks are a shit team again. We've been down that road once :laugh:
It's the truth though. That team is looking for any sort of offense they can get and after 1GP they are getting rid of an offensive only player. A player with a horrible track record for not really being wanted.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013

I wouldn't pick up him to play in the bottom6. You play skill with skill. He would the kind of "moneyball" pick up. Flawed player but in the right spot he would be more valuable than his contract.

If it doens't workout, then you waive him again. At least you tried. Playing Kassian in the 1st line game after game does nothing. He is 4th liner.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wouldn't pick up him to play in the bottom6. You play skill with skill. He would the kind of "moneyball" pick up. Flawed player but in the right spot he would be more valuable than his contract.

If it doens't workout, then you waive him again. At least you tried. Playing Kassian in the 1st line game after game does nothing. He is 4th liner.
Waiting two weeks for him to quarantine and then if he struggles you hope someone picks him up off waivers.

Just not worth it.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Waiting two weeks for him to quarantine and then if he struggles you hope someone picks him up off waivers.

Just not worth it.
It would be opportunity of the lifetime for him. He would work his ass off those 2 weeks. He is so similar to Hoffman. With elite linemates he could post similar numbers with fifth of the prize.

When you are against the cap you got to check garbage bins. He has a specific skillset and that one thing is the hardest thing to do in hockey. What guys like Kassian, Chiasson, Archibald etc bring to the table. Barely a thing. They skate around the ice thats about it.

The powerplay isn't clicking so he could be used there too.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
632CF70A-75AB-425E-814A-CD9880EA17C4.jpeg

I didn’t know about this rule.

I wonder how long until Grosenick is ready to play.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Something I was thinking about...

What about a RNH for Danault swap?

Before people crucify me, Danault is a great 2 way center, something the Oilers definitely need. He’d come cheaper then RNH this offseason when they are both UFA, probably with decent term around 5M. Montreal has chosen a path with Kotkaniemi and Suzuki going forward in their top 6, I would imagine Dubois once the dust settles there as well or in place of Kotkaniemi , and Danault has voiced his displeasure as a 3C there this past offseason and rumored to have not had negotiations yet. Doubtful they can afford him considering they just handed out big deals to Gallagher and Anderson, and will be to Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

RNH had 15 goals and 22 assists at even strength, so 37 even strength points last year. Danault had 12 goals and 30 assists, 42 Even strength points.

Why do it now? Neither player requires a quarantine being on Canadian teams, both teams can test drive the player before the offseason, and hopefully there is mutual interest in a long term deal for Danault, something you’d probably check in with prior to that trade. This would also allow the Oilers to put Draisaitl and Mcdavid back together. This would also allow Montreal another top 6 winger, rumored they had interest in Hoffman before he signed

A top 6 of

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
Kahun-Danault-Yamamoto

Is a decent group and a better 2 way group, a high end offensive line and a good 2 way line, and I also think this would allow Yamamoto to get PP time in RNH’s spot, that is much deserved at this point.

Obviously, pending Kahun’s play, you would look for a different LW to play there as well this offseason if that didn’t work.

Am I crazy?

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Something I was thinking about...

What about a RNH for Danault swap?

Before people crucify me, Danault is a great 2 way center, something the Oilers definitely need. He’d come cheaper then RNH this offseason when they are both UFA, probably with decent term around 5M. Montreal has chosen a path with Kotkaniemi and Suzuki going forward in their top 6, I would imagine Dubois once the dust settles there as well or in place of Kotkaniemi , and Danault has voiced his displeasure as a 3C there this past offseason and rumored to have not had negotiations yet. Doubtful they can afford him considering they just handed out big deals to Gallagher and Anderson, and will be to Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

RNH had 14 goals and 22 assists at even strength, so 36 even strength points last year. Danault had 12 goals and 30 assists, 42 Even strength points.

Why do it now? Neither player requires a quarantine being on Canadian teams, both teams can test drive the player before the offseason, and hopefully their is mutual interest in a long term deal for Danault, something you’d probably check in with prior to that trade. This would also allow the Oilers to put Draisaitl and Mcdavid back together. This would also allow Montreal another top 6 winger, rumored they had interest in Hoffman before he signed

A top 6 of

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
Kahun-Danault-Yamamoto

Is a decent group and a better 2 way group, a high end offensive line and a good 2 way line, and I also think this would allow Yamamoto to get PP time in RNH’s spot, that is much deserved at this point.

Obviously, pending Kahun’s play, you would look for a different LW to play there as well this offseason if that didn’t work.

Am I crazy?

We’d be a one line team again.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
We’d be a one line team again.
Like I just said, Danault outproduced RNH at even strength last season, so how is that a downgrade regarding 5V5 play where the”line scoring” takes place? Considering RNH was strapped to Mcdavid also the fact Danault can out produce him on a much weaker team is insane.

Not to mention Drai/Mcdavid would far out produce the current setup the have at 5V5. And Danault, being arguably one of the best defensive C in the league, would greatly reduce them being scored on.

RNH has 2, 2!, even strength points this season having played 70 min with Mcdavid.

He likely commands 7M this offseason, the added savings in Danault would also allow you to sign more depth to not be a one line team..

Reactions: McSuper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad