Rumor: Rumor and Proposal Thread: Anything Cooking After Soli-Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Stauffer foreshadowing an "interesting couple of hours coming up" repeatedly, something is cooking.

Schultz for a jar of sand from SJ?

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Tyler Hupka
‏@HBomb1982
Tampa Bay and Buffalo being specifically mentioned as possible Jultz destinations.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Lol @ some fans for offering up RNH and Eberle for Phaneuf look at the garbage he went for, also Schultz is scratched because of his play TMac said he has to figure out what he is in the league offensively and defensively .

1990*

Jesus you are a broken record.

People have showed you facts on how the team has improved.

But those facts don't matter thanks to the way of the NHL is structured. You don't win a Stanley Cup for being better than you were the year before- you only win if you are better than everyone else. Similarly, you only make the playoffs if you accumulate more points than 14 other teams- NOT if you bring down your GA.

It's a broken record to hear how we have "visually" changed or "structurally" changed or any other qualifying word that doesn't involve wins and points.

It's like blaming a company CEO for not improving the company because out of the fortune 500 companies it is still 500 even with increased profits even while the company had its 2 biggest factories blow up and have to get rebuilt.

The shareholders of such a company would absolutely revolt if all that CEO decided to do in the face of such adversity was swap out a manager in Bakersfield for one from Newfoundland. Chiarelli is lucky he only reports to Katz, the greatest enabler of all.

again
a win tonight puts them at 25th overall...improvement right?

If that satisfies you. :dunno: I mean, I for one would like to play a meaningful game beyond April, but you may have other priorities.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I ran a half marathon this weekend. I ran it 5 minutes faster than my personal best. I'd say I have improved as a runner.

However, according to the standings I would have placed higher in the rankings last year in the same race, even with my previous slower time. Did I improve as a runner, or because faster people showed up this year I'm actually a worse runner and have not improved?

so visually you were better but the rankings are what determine what your score is.

in NHL terms -your goal should be to win the race, if your goal is to slightly improve yourself and not compare to your peers then you shouldnt be playing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tyler Hupka
‏@HBomb1982
Tampa Bay and Buffalo being specifically mentioned as possible Jultz destinations.

If its Tampa I'm thinking Jason Garrison ... gives us a point shot. Tampa uses Schultz as a depth bottom pairing d-man for the rest of the year and then lets him walk for free cap room which they will need in the summer.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Unfortunately..without actually winning (We're in last place in the NHL again by the way), slight improvements mean very little...We got Nurse and Drai after improving but yet, here we are again.

Improvements are improvements, though, and winning can be an illusion (ask Calgary).

GD is a better indicator of team performance than points thanks to the NHL's goofy points system. We're on pace to shave at least 44 goals off the GD from last year. That's a very real and very tangible improvement. So it's abundantly clear the Oilers are on a better path compared to last year and that is, again, without the services of their arguably best player and best defenseman for large parts of the year and there's no doubt in my mind that improvement would have been much more obvious (and reflected to a greater extent in the standings) were it not for all the injuries.

We have the same conversations with the same arguments on both sides every year...for many years. It's grasping at straws. There are so many things that can change a few games one way or the other throughout a season..score a lucky goal here..let in a lousy one there. 3.5 games worth of points, in my world, isn't anywhere close to an improvement. It's a minor detail that will be corrected..as usual,,when we're solidly in last, or 2nd last, place at season's end.

You're highlighting the exact problem with looking at points and standings alone. The difference between the Oilers being DFL and in the thick of a battle for a wild card spot amounts to 5 OT and one shoot out loss. Catch a few lucky bounces and this conversation isn't happening.

McDeathbyCheerios*

But those facts don't matter thanks to the way of the NHL is structured. You don't win a Stanley Cup for being better than you were the year before- you only win if you are better than everyone else. Similarly, you only make the playoffs if you accumulate more points than 14 other teams- NOT if you bring down your GA.

It's a broken record to hear how we have "visually" changed or "structurally" changed or any other qualifying word that doesn't involve wins and points

The shareholders of such a company would absolutely revolt if all that CEO decided to do in the face of such adversity was swap out a manager in Bakersfield for one from Newfoundland. Chiarelli is lucky he only reports to Katz, the greatest enabler of all.

If that satisfies you. :dunno: I mean, I for one would like to play a meaningful game beyond April, but you may have other priorities.
Actually the shareholders would be okay and glad that the CEO managed to get more profits out of the company even while losing its 2 biggest factories.

Wait so you expected Chia to go from a team that was only better then teams trying to tank and get them to a playoff caliber bubble team while being saddled with a crap ton of horrible players and bad contracts in a single ****ing off season?

McDeathbyCheerios*

so visually you were better but the rankings are what determine what your score is.

in NHL terms -your goal should be to win the race, if your goal is to slightly improve yourself and not compare to your peers then you shouldnt be playing.
Guy finished with a better time while having a broken foot

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

By this reasoning if Chiarelli got the team into Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final and the team lost he would be a failure as a GM. If that's the type of reasoning you're comfortable with then that's fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad