Rumor: Rumor and Proposal Thread: Anything Cooking After Soli-Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You usually don't want to make deals when things are at their worst but if anything was on the table for Chia I wonder if these last 2 ass kickings may have been the last straw for him for some players?

Last page of posts from the previous thread:

Why not both? One of Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo and Hamonic. Completely transforms our defence.

RNH for signed Shattenkirk
Eberle + for Hamonic

There is a ton of appeal in Hamonic in that he actually wants to play here (in theory). At any rate, if Snow will trade him here that means he wants to be here.

Shattenkirk would cost a ton because of that extra year attached and there would be no assurance that he would re-sign. We could ask the GM to talk to him beforehand, but that's a requirement of the trade then there's a miniscule chance it gets done. Shattenkirk would promise us nothing besides platitudes, because why would he commit so early? He will have a ton of power as a FA, and can find a lot of money and he could pick his destination.

To me, I like the idea of targeting Byfuglien as a UFA after trading for Hamonic. UFA has the benefit of really talking to him and making the conversation real with ink. Also of course we don't have to give up player assets.

when is the last time there was a sign-and-trade? Imo they are a thing of the past

nikita........ nevermind

Ha, that poster named ferencefan is the icing on the cake :laugh:

ha, I know you are joking, but I believe even in that instance we traded for his rights and then signed him. Columbus allowed us to talk to him all through the process and we had the word of him and his agent that he would sign a contract we agreed on.

It's worth it to ask Shattenkirk to do the same, although it becomes less likely because he's not an impending UFA. He's also a top tier player who probably isn't looking for the kind of agreement that Nikitin went for. He's a guy with loads of options and I doubt he's looking to leave St.Louis. If he is, he's got every reason to wait until July 2017

^wow! fans really don't know the value of players do they? WAY too much for Pietrangelo! :shakehead

He's one of the best young defensemen in the NHL, tied up in a good contract until the end of the decade. I would personally want to try to change the Nurse asset, but it's a pretty reasonable proposal considering it would take a significant overpay just to entice St.Louis to consider moving him.

A 20 year old version of that player who is still more potential than ability just went for a first line center on his own; the 25 year old version that is an established number one defenseman like Pietrangelo is would cost even more.

It is funny how many people liked the deal at the time but hate it now

most people didn't like the term. and It impossible to see when a player falls off a cliff like He did. He was maybe the best D man in the weak UFA group and we need to be active in the UFA market if we want to be successful.

peeople started hating the deal 2 years ago

I know. again as soon as he came here he fell off the cliff also I wonder how much that is due to Eakins System 2 years ago, maybe he could've actually been a decent defender.

If the Blues were silly enough to make Piet available I'd offer RNH+Nurse for him in a heartbeat. Guy is pretty much exactly what this team needs.

Maybe it's just me but I've never been overly impressed with Pietrangelo. He'd be miles better than anyone that we have now on D but that's not saying much.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Logically you replace bad players with good ones and keep the good ones you already have. Historically, Edmonton has been unable to keep the good players (or been patient with them enough) and made the wrong choices on replacing the bad players.

Edmonton is not a desirable place for high end UFA's to come, so that plan is difficult to achieve. Add in injuries and players deciding just to leave the organization (Reider, Gustaffson, Yakimov) and you can never gain traction. A changing carousel of management means no stability and continuity.

You just have to break this cycle and get lucky getting the correct core pieces, like the islanders with Boychuk and Leddy.

The team at least got McDavid and hopefully they draft the right players next year and not trade the high picks for a #6 d-man.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gotta keep chipping away at it 1 move at a time. The Kassian move looks very good for us, a few more moves where we get upgrades to our team would be great.

HeroToNobody

Oct 23, 2014
Someone suggested an RNH, Nurse, 2016 1st for Pietrangelo trade and I think you have to make that trade if you have the opportunity. Someone like Subban will cost a lot more, and giving up Drai would hurt us more. Just one more trade and:

RNH, Nurse, 2016 1st for Pietrangelo
Something around Yakupov for Eller, with +s where needed.

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Korpikoski-Eller-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klef-Pietrangelo
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba

There are still defensive needs to address, but it makes us better team. Ideally though, if it is at all possible, you try to keep Nurse while still swinging the Pietrangelo trade.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I thought we weren't spoiling things for Soli, this thread title might tip him off on how the last two games went.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Someone suggested an RNH, Nurse, 2016 1st for Pietrangelo trade and I think you have to make that trade if you have the opportunity. Someone like Subban will cost a lot more, and giving up Drai would hurt us more. Just one more trade and:

RNH, Nurse, 2016 1st for Pietrangelo
Something around Yakupov for Eller, with +s where needed.

Hall-Drai-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle
Korpikoski-Eller-Kassian

Klef-Pietrangelo
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba

There are still defensive needs to address, but it makes us better team. Ideally though, if it is at all possible, you try to keep Nurse while still swinging the Pietrangelo trade.

Aside from possibly the Lindros trade (and here only because Forsberg turned out so much better than expected) I can't remember a single player ever getting that type of return. Not even Gretzky.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Logically you replace bad players with good ones and keep the good ones you already have. Historically, Edmonton has been unable to keep the good players (or been patient with them enough) and made the wrong choices on replacing the bad players.

historically Edmonton was able to keep Gretzky, Messier, Glenn Anderson, Ryan Smith, Bill Ranford, Todd Marchant, Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, etc. here long term.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
We are not a team.

We are a talented group of incohesive individual players that play for the name on the back, not the logo on the front.

Think of the Rangers of the early 2000s

Bure
Lindros
Messier
Holik
Nedved
Kovalev

Just like them, we are a stacked offensive powerhouse that can't generate offense.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
We are not a team.

We are a talented group of incohesive individual players that play for the name on the back, not the logo on the front.

Bure
Lindros
Messier
Holik
Nedved
Kovalev

Just like them, we are a stacked offensive powerhouse that can't generate offense.

this team has been very afraid to trade any of the so called "core". well i hope PC is not afraid to change the make up of this team. except for only McD, he has my blessing to trade *ANYONE* in order to get this team to win.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
We are not a team.

Bogus. This is a team with a talented top 6, a middling bottom 6 and AHL or worse defense and goaltending (excepting Talbot recently).

Bure
Lindros
Messier
Holik
Nedved
Kovalev

Stacked offensive powerhouse?

Bure was 31 and had one leg
Lindros was 29 and had serious concussion issues
Messier was 41
Holik was 29
Nedved was 30
Kovalev was 29 (and only played 24 games for the Rangers that year)

Yup, exactly like the Oilers now. :shakehead

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
this team has been very afraid to trade any of the so called "core". well i hope PC is not afraid to change the make up of this team. except for only McD, he has my blessing to trade *ANYONE* in order to get this team to win.

I think it will happen it quite possibly will be Eberle, RNH, maybe a 2016 1st pick, fans will be upset, and then within time it will pay off.

The one thing about sports especially your true team sports (football/hockey) is you need to be dynamic in so many ways or at the very least you have to be dominant defensively/goaltending first before offense. If the Oilers had the talent at d versus offense they have right now they would be winning alot more games.

The skillset on this team is that they need to score 3-4 goals a game, and that's just to be in most games.

Teams can score against the Oilers and close the door, the Oilers style is meant to be playing a back in forth trade chances all game style. You never win in any sport like that anymore.

I would like them by trade deadline to trade Purcell/Pouliot for picks, Trade for a d-man (most likely RNH) keep Eberle unless it's a reasonably good trade.

Put Schultz on waivers, and just finish the year off painfully but giving Reinhart, Nurse more ice time and ability to learn.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I would like them by trade deadline to trade Purcell/Pouliot for picks, Trade for a d-man (most likely RNH) keep Eberle unless it's a reasonably good trade.

Put Schultz on waivers, and just finish the year off painfully but giving Reinhart, Nurse more ice time and ability to learn.

i think you can get a bit more than picks for Pouliot despite his $4 mil/per for the next 3 years. he has value.

and i mentioned this before that i have wanted to see Schultz put on waivers. he's continuing to play because he's being paid almost $4 mil this year, and the team likely can't find a fit for him, and aren't being offered much either.

i get it, but the season is along enough that he's been paid a big chunk of his salary already, and is contributing big time to Oiler losses with his bad defensive play. he really needs to be waived and play the remainder of the season in the AHL if not claimed.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
???-McDavid-???
Hall-RNH-???
???-???-Kassian

???-???
Klefbom-Sekera
Davidson-???

Draisaitl
Eberle
Nurse
Yakupov
Purcell
Pouliot
Schultz

2016 1st round pick
2017 1st round pick

Make a team out of those assets.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Bogus. This is a team with a talented top 6, a middling bottom 6 and AHL or worse defense and goaltending (excepting Talbot recently).

Stacked offensive powerhouse?

Bure was 31 and had one leg
Lindros was 29 and had serious concussion issues
Messier was 41
Holik was 29
Nedved was 30
Kovalev was 29 (and only played 24 games for the Rangers that year)

Yup, exactly like the Oilers now. :shakehead

Lindros in 2001 - 37G 36A - 73 points
2002 - 19G 34A - 53 points
2003 - 10G 22A - 32 points (39 games)

Bure in 2001 - 12G 8A (12 G)
2002 - 19G 11A (30G)

Messier in 2001 - 7G 16 A (41G)
2002 - 18G 22A
2003 - 18G - 25A

Kovalev in 2002 - 10G - 3A
2003 - 13G - 29A

Nedved in 2001 - 21G - 25 assists
2002 - 27G - 31 Assists

Holik in 2002 - 16G - 19A - 35points
in 2003 - 25G - 31A - 56 points

The one year where you had everyone play together was 2002 = 109G amongst all those forwards

2001 - (excluding Kovalev/Holik) - 77 goals - 4 forwards
2003 - (excluding Bure/Nedved) - 66 goals - 4 forwards

The year all 6 of those forwards played there was an average of 18 goals/player (dead puck era)
2001 - 19 goals/player (4 forwards)
2003 - 16.5/goals/player (4 forwards)

Way better forward group than the Oilers have right now (at that point)

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
i think you can get a bit more than picks for Pouliot despite his $4 mil/per for the next 3 years. he has value.

and i mentioned this before that i have wanted to see Schultz put on waivers. he's continuing to play because he's being paid almost $4 mil this year, and the team likely can't find a fit for him, and aren't being offered much either.

i get it, but the season is along enough that he's been paid a big chunk of his salary already, and is contributing big time to Oiler losses with his bad defensive play. he really needs to be waived and play the remainder of the season in the AHL if not claimed.

I will never understand the Oilers; not necessarily throwing players under the bus, but sending messages.

I get Mclellan referred to RNH/Eberle as players not playing up to there ability earlier in the year.

However, accountability needs to change. If Kassian/Hendricks/Letestu are you best forwards give them 20 minutes a night.

Also the morale has to change just in general there back to not competing. It's mainly because the Oil do great when the game is uninspiring. Meaning if it's against a team that will trade chances there in the game, once another team sees all you need to do is frustrate them by playing harder defensively the Oil can't play there style and they revert to just being garbage, because they want to win in a certain way.

If you take one team like Chicago they play L.A. different, vs they play Tampa, vs they play another team.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
If we are trading away our top guys it's not for other teams top guys. The Blues dont want to get rid of Pietrangelo and they wont no matter what we offer. If we are desperate to shake things up and are trading away our guys just to shake this team up we're more likely to end up with Carl Gunnarson, Ty Rattie and a 1st for Eberle or RNH.

Unless something comes up, like the Hamonic asking for a trade or Johanson playing his way out of favor with a team it's really unlikely we get a hockey trade. So when they do you have to jump on the possibilities and make it happen. If we want to fix our defence we better be looking at UFA's like Byfuglien even if we might regret the term down the road. Shaking up our forward group will be easy in comparison to fixing the defence.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
You're only as good as your weakest part. Yes, this team has a ton of firepower, but when your best offencive defenceman can't generate offence and is a liability on the ice, you're going to have a bad time....

Personally I actually don't think this team needs a massive overhaul to get better, even on defence. I like the forward core, and even a lot of the defence I've got nothing against. Honestly I think one of the biggest problems is how underutilized the defence is here, and how they're just sent out into situation for slaughter and have their confidence destroyed.

For example neither, Davidson or Nurse see much PP time or a chance to work at generating offence. Even Fayne saw some PP time in NJ. I'd be willing to bet that if you dispersed Schultz's PP minutes across the rest of the defence, you'd see the unit play better, and more confidently.

Call me crazy, but I do think this team could be competitive with a defence of

Davidson-Klefbom
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Gyrba

The problem is this team has zero useful depth beyond that group. Clendening maybe; and Reinhart should have more time in the AHL, though he has for the most part looked okay as a bottom pairing with Gyrba; But Ference, Schultz, Nikitin, and Hunt shouldn't be anywhere near NHL ice, as none of them can play any form of fundamental defence against any level of competition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad