Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 48, Carter Hart, G, Everett (WHL)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's hard to get excited about a goalie that isn't overly big or athletic these days, but I just love the way he plays. Always seems to be calm and in control when he's in the crease. And he's only 18. For a position that takes years to master, it's remarkable how polished he is for his age. And with the news today, who knows, he might be playing in the Olympics next year.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
As a Winterhawks watcher I've seen a bit of this kid. Was pretty excited to see him drafted by my favorite team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's hard to get excited about a goalie that isn't overly big or athletic these days, but I just love the way he plays. Always seems to be calm and in control when he's in the crease. And he's only 18. For a position that takes years to master, it's remarkable how polished he is for his age. And with the news today, who knows, he might be playing in the Olympics next year.

He is the most similar goalie prospect to Carey Price in technique that I have seen so far.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Hart was 64 /66 in their series winner against Victoria last night. Game lasted a WHL-record 151 minutes.

Kid put in work!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He is the most similar goalie prospect to Carey Price in technique that I have seen so far.

For a team that's struggled with goaltender prospects for decades and when we finally had a good one we gave him away to Columbus. This makes me very happy

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He'll put on a little weight too. Probably be around 195 when he's a pro. But yea, that height is fine. Too tall and you typically lose quickness, too short and you don't cover as much. 6'2" is a good height, keeps his quickness.

The aforementioned Price is 6'3" however Hockey-Reference has him at 220 lbs. Is that right? that seems heavy.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Saw something on Facebook that he is likely going to be called up to the Phantoms to replace Stolarz

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He told a local reporter in Everett that he was flying out to LHV today. The question is whether he plays or not.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He sure has most promise out of our goalie prospects. I'm afraid he is gonna get lot of hate Brayden Schenn style.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Schenn is never gonna live down from all the Mike Richards 2.0 comparisions and here we are tossing Price's name in Carter Hart thread. Awfully big shoes to fill in.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hart seems to have excellent reaction time and anticipation, if not the eye-popping gymnast type athlete. I'm really curious to see how he transitions to the pro game. You certainly can't argue with what he's done so far.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He still has to go through the "put on weight still maintain agility" phase.

If he's still around 180, I would think he should get to 200 before playing in the NHL. He looks like he has such a thin fram that getting to 200 might be tough. We'll see though.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Good call out, that is my key concern with goalies of Hart's frame. Unless he continues on close to as he stands like a Ryan Miller.

But I think his main strength is his positioning, no? If so, his weight/agility might not alter that much, or might not be as much of a concern, as it would be to someone who depends on catlike agility. My whole premise could be wrong, though - I just get the impression that he gets himself square to shooters well.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not sure why you'd want a goalie to put on much weight. I'd rather him be as agile as possible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenn is never gonna live down from all the Mike Richards 2.0 comparisions and here we are tossing Price's name in Carter Hart thread. Awfully big shoes to fill in.

I don't recall Schenn ever being compared to Richards.

That would be Laughton.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I don't understand that remark. It isn't weight OR agility - you have modern athletes with both size/weight + ability. In a completely equipollent state: 6'2 220 guy vs 5-11 205 guy with 100% equal skill, you 10/10 grab the bigger guy.

The ideal is getting a bigger guy who covers more net with the same agility of a smaller netminder OR, the agility lost is barely significant to the gains of the size.

Bigger fills more net. Lots of defensive systems that keep shots low percentage, become even lower with a bigger guy. You can check out lists of goalie size now vs historical-- it's a big difference. Bigger guys are larger obstacles to 2nd attempts / rebounds and are physically stronger and harder to move out of net if refs are allowing some interference.

NHL is a game of inches. You want to be bigger when you go down in the butterfly. Smaller goaltenders will have space over the shoulders. Big guys shoulders will be flush with the crossbar (I know, I'm shifting to height now, my apologies), but also wider and fill out their equipment a little more, and the net hasn't gotten any bigger. Weekes did a presentation on this on the NHL channel. They drug a net out, the whole thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad