Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 48, Carter Hart, G, Everett (WHL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Upcoming

-----------------------

6' 1" 176 WHL EVERETT

27903240-e0c8-11e4-ab70-752ac88f1912_hart.jpg

Everett goaltender Carter Hart not only shares the same jersey number as Braden Holtby of the Washington Capitals, but the same sports psychologist.

The weekly discussions have played a big part in helping Hart become well-rounded while playing a position that is physically tough and mentally challenging. Hart relies on the services of John Stevenson of Zone Performance Psychology in Edmonton.

Stevenson, a former goaltending coach for the Ottawa Senators and Edmonton Oilers, has practiced sports psychology the past 10 years. He has worked with Holtby the past 11 years and Hart the past eight.

"We talk about controlling what we can control," Stevenson told NHL.com. "Are you able to direct your focus back to things that are directly under your control? If not, then there's a chance you're going to get frustrated, angry, depressed. A lot of this is redirecting focus at things within their control that will enable them to do their job to the best of their ability."

Stevenson's program focuses on improving thought processes to overcome self-limiting emotional and physical barriers to allow athletes to reach peak performance.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carter-hart-nhl-prospect-braden-holtby-sports-psychologist/c-280162898

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Everett is NJ on steroids. Don't get caught up in the numbers. He's a good goalie though.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If all of Fedotov, Lyon, Hart, Sandstrom, and Stolarz bust I'll end up pretty surprised to say the least.

Really like this pick considering our first two were forwards. This wraps up our goalie pool pretty nicely.

Reactions: BernieParent

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His interview on NHLN was great. Smart kid, and he said he knew the Flyer goalie development coach.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I'm not sure the BPA thing goes past the first round. We didnt need to use a 2nd on a goalie this year. You can pick up NHL starting goalies for 2nd round picks these days.

That true and goalies rounds 2nd-7th have about the same probability of being a starter.

I would prefer goalies only round 4 or later, but yeah never know.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure the BPA thing goes past the first round. We didnt need to use a 2nd on a goalie this year. You can pick up NHL starting goalies for 2nd round picks these days.

It definitely goes past the first round. They might decide later on to pare it down by position or region, but in Round 2, you definitely are going BPA because chances are you have guys far enough ahead of the pack on your board.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
He's a work horse. He's in great shape. He will develop with a heavy work load in the dub and world juniors program. Hexy said he's gonna build from the net out, our goalie depth is now the deepest in the league, our defence is very deep and our center depth is shaping up nicely.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Certainly has upside. Has a few things to work on. He's great at reading the transition game and committing at the right time. Size trends a little away from the big goalie thing.

Needs to work on rebounds and tends to sit back in net.

MCoster

Jan 12, 2016
So
Anthony Stolarz
Alex Lyon
Merrick Madson
Felix Sandstrom
Matej Tomek
Ivan Fedotov
Carter Hart

all in the pipeline.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I thought he would be gone by ~#35-40... and did not expect the Flyers to get a goalie so early...

but if you are taking 1 goalie in the 11 picks may as well get the best goalie in the draft!

Stolarz
Lyon
Sandstrom
Hart
Tomek
Madsen
Fedotov

is the best goalie prospect group in the NHL without doubt. So much goalie talent.

Reactions: Carter Hart

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
What do you mean by that?

Was supposed to be the starter for UND this year.

Got injured early and even though he was supposed to take over once he recovered he never even got into a game. Was not even selected to a weak Slovakia roster at the World Juniors. Johnson has surpassed him and I see him as being another Placek. Caring more about school than his hockey career.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Got injured early and even though he was supposed to take over once he recovered he never even got into a game. Was not even selected to a weak Slovakia roster at the World Juniors. Johnson has surpassed him and I see him as being another Placek. Caring more about school than his hockey career.

He was still recovery from his injury.

Johnson played great last year. He wasn't getting that spot. Losing a year of development sucks but he's still young. Not sure how you can make that last remark unless you know him personally.

There is a run on goalies in the 2nd round every year. If you are set on taking a goalie why not pick the one you feel the best about? We have 11 picks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I think you're being a bit hasty to write him off. Look at what Madsen did after only playing one game in 14-15.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=205590

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I would have rather picked Red Deer D-man Josh Mahura with the 48th pick we have a lot of goalie's in the system but Hart is also a nice pick by Ron so I have no complaints. Hopefully Muhura will still be there in the 3rd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad