Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 48, Carter Hart, G, Everett (WHL)

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I woke up feeling better about this pick than I did last night when I went to sleep. I agree with the philosophy of BPA and trust Hexy implicitly, especially when it comes to goaltenders, but I was just a little disappointed because there were some interesting names still on the board. For whatever reason, I'm more relaxed and satisfied about it this morning. I just watched his interview, and he seems like a great kid. I really had high hopes for Tomek, but this pick gives us added insurance in the goalie pool.

I do wonder who the best of the batch is. I'm pretty sure Appleyard would say Sandstrom, and that would thrill me to pieces. How does Lyon stack up to the rest and how far away is he? That question keeps popping up in my head. This season we still sort of have that "free pass," so I wouldn't mind seeing he or Stolie (or both) get a couple of games.
Sandstrom looks good but Madsen is coming on, Lyon is intriguing and Stolarz has done nothing but improve. And now we have Hart! #FirstWorldGoaltendingProblems.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I wouldn't call it a waste since the guy hast talent but there were other options out there when the Flyers were on the clock.

Time will tell if it was the right choice. Hextall made it clear he was surprised Hart was still available.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom looks good but Madsen is coming on, Lyon is intriguing and Stolarz has done nothing but improve. And now we have Hart! #FirstWorldGoaltendingProblems.

I would probably say in regards to goalie tiers atm:

Stolarz

Sandstrom, Hart, Lyon

Tomek, Madsen

Fedotov

I actually think Sandstrom & Hart have the highest top end potential... but Stolarz & Lyon are further along the track. Stolarz could well be in the NHL next season.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I was hoping to see another forward but if Hextall and the staff see the value who am I or anyone else to argue?

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I firmly believe that until a goalie shows it at the NHL level, you can barely consider them prospects. Seen so many AHL superstars that couldn't cut it at the NHL level. With that sentiment, I think the point is to just keep adding prospects every year and hope that one can pan out as an NHL starter.

I still don't know that NHL scouts have a handle on a good proxy for expected future NHL success whether metrics or eye test.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Whichever one of the goalies emerges as the top guy, they are going to make a lot of money.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Through out this teams history we have had stretches where we had great goaltending, then stretches where we did not have good goaltending. And that's why our record in Stanley cup finals is like .200
We will have some hits and some misses. But with our depth we are in a much stronger position than teams that do not have quality, or depth, and are forced to trade for stop gap goalies, just to make the playoffs. Then their are teams picking in the top 10 for several years in a row. They may amass guys like mcdavid,eichel,Matthews,barkov,laine and we get forwards or defence like rubstov,,sanheim, but are clever enough to build a goaltending war chest, and they will be back for more mcdavids,eichels,Matthews and Laines

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Through out this teams history we have had stretches where we had great goaltending, then stretches where we did not have good goaltending. And that's why our record in Stanley cup finals is like .200
We will have some hits and some misses. But with our depth we are in a much stronger position than teams that do not have quality, or depth, and are forced to trade for stop gap goalies, just to make the playoffs. Then their are teams picking in the top 10 for several years in a row. They may amass guys like mcdavid,eichel,Matthews,barkov,laine and we get forwards or defence like rubstov,,sanheim, but are clever enough to build a goaltending war chest, and they will be back for more mcdavids,eichels,Matthews and Laines

Just saying. ;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hextall said they had a little inside Intel as Brady Robinson the goalie development coach in the organization worked with him at Canada's camp. They like his athleticism & think he's not done growing. However they're really high on his mental makeup the most. They're pretty confident in him because of that.

We'll see how it goes over the years though.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hextall said they had a little inside Intel as Brady Robinson the goalie development coach in the organization worked with him at Canada's camp. They like his athleticism & think he's not done growing. However they're really high on his mental makeup the most. They're pretty confident in him because of that.

We'll see how it goes over the years though.

Brady Robinson has been working for him for a few years regarding equipment, as Vaughn rep for the west coast, so the Flyers had big intel. But he was the CHL Goalie of the Year in his draft year, so not an unknown.

http://chl.ca/chl-announces-2015-16-award-winners

Vaughn Goaltender of the Year Award: Carter Hart (Everett Silvertips):
Carter Hart enjoyed a terrific season helping lead the WHL’s second-best defensive club, posting a 35-23-1-3 record with six shutouts in 63 appearances. The 17-year-old from Sherwood Park, AB finished second amongst WHL netminders with a 2.14 goals against average, finished with the sixth-best save percentage at .918 and placed first overall with 35 victories for the Silvertips. Hart is ranked second amongst North American goaltenders by NHL Central Scouting for the 2016 NHL Draft. Finalists for the award include New Jersey Devils prospect Mackenzie Blackwood of the Barrie Colts, and Chase Marchand of the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies.

Just watch the two post draft interviews and this kid has his head screwed on right. Best VO2 at the Combine - he's in shape and focused. Let's see how he does at the WJC....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Brady Robinson has been working for him for a few years regarding equipment, as Vaughn rep for the west coast, so the Flyers had big intel. But he was the CHL Goalie of the Year in his draft year, so not an unknown.

I know he is/was a known commodity. Robinson worked with him at Canada's recent camp too. My point was that he's spent time with hum before (not just off the ice but on the ice as well) & knows him personally. That's what I meant. It's just another part of the equation that went into the pick.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I know he is/was a known commodity. Robinson worked with him at Canada's recent camp too. My point was that he's spent time with before (not just off the ice but on the ice as well) & knows him personally. That's what I meant. They should have a good handle on him & they feel like they do.
I was trying to reinforce your point. He's going to be pro and they know it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I was just watching a Carter Hart interview from the Combine, and this randomly popped out as an answer to a question about the interview process:

"Yeah, my first one was with Philly and that one was a little bit intimidating. Ron Hextall was sitting right beside me, didn't really ask me too much, was sort of just eyeing me down the whole time....but it wasn't bad, I actually really liked that one."

:heart:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was just watching a Carter Hart interview from the Combine, and this randomly popped out as an answer to a question about the interview process:

"Yeah, my first one was with Philly and that one was a little bit intimidating. Ron Hextall was sitting right beside me, didn't really ask me too much, was sort of just eyeing me down the whole time....but it wasn't bad, I actually really liked that one."

:heart:

I can just picture Hextall sitting there with that intense stare.

I liked Harts interview after being drafted and saying that goalies need to be in great shape and the days of putting the fat kid in net are over...lol.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
16 yr old season: 2.29 GAA, .915 sv%
17 yr old season: 2.14 GAA, .918 sv%

Go to the Canada WJC page and many think he will be the starter. Love this pick. Flyers are stocking on goalies hoping to hit a few.

One thing I keep reading about him that I like? His focus. Even when he lets in a bad goal, he never ever loses focus or let's it get to him. I was reading that they say he almost goes into another state of mind when playing. Complete focus on his face.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
He seemingly has everything you want in a potential #1 goalie except for ideal size. His stats, lower body strength (evidenced by his great long jump at combine), demeanor/calmness and his ability to track pucks and read the plays so he gets in position all seem to be at an elite level for a CHL goalie.

Here's hoping he continues to progress over the next few years. I'm excited.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Is next year the year when the NHL is shrinking pads? Are they doing that across the minors too?

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Is next year the year when the NHL is shrinking pads? Are they doing that across the minors too?
Would benefit guys like Hart immensely compared to the big dudes who rely on their size and pads to make saves rather than skill, athleticism, or hockey IQ.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A lot of the bigger goalies wear more size appropriate equipment for their stature. It's mostly the smaller goalies like Lundqvist, Miller, Enroth, Halak, etc. that wear pads way bigger than they are.

Lundqvist is absolutely ridiculous. His pads are probably similar to Mason's for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad