Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
This team won't be competitive next season unless there is a big overhaul of the defense and forwards. If you keep him 1 more year, a buy out the following season becomes ore tenable. Don't do anything now that will eat a bunch of cap space 5-6 years down the road when they will hopefully be decent and could need it.
What does a D overhal look like to you?

Reactions: Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Whether it is by design and marketing or not, the Blackhawks, league and internet sure does seem to love to show how Foligno is mentoring Bedard?

Do we have similar mentoring going on here?

🤷‍♂️
They do that for press reasons. If Bedard was here they would be doing that stuff only like Bedard and Boone. We even tried that earlier with Fantilli and Laine. It makes good fluff when your team is bad. This is like a press relations dream! You have a blossoming superstar so its catchy to see the rise of a powerhouse live to people and what better than showing off something similar to Luke getting trained by Obi-wan? Casual viewers eat that shit up! It gets impressions, which gets money and might as well since everyone is talking about when Bedard does *insert random stat here* every time he makes a play.

We could very well be doing it here but not everything has to be public you know. This is a reason why Buffalo (and to an extent NJ) took a step back and why everyone has been saying you can't have a room full of under 24 year old men as your roster. You need older voices in a locker room to mentor the kids and tell them how to deal with the situation. This is why we paid people like Gudbranson to come into the locker room.

Reactions: majormajor

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
They do that for press reasons. If Bedard was here they would be doing that stuff only like Bedard and Boone. We even tried that earlier with Fantilli and Laine. It makes good fluff when your team is bad. This is like a press relations dream! You have a blossoming superstar so its catchy to see the rise of a powerhouse live to people and what better than showing off something similar to Luke getting trained by Obi-wan? Casual viewers eat that shit up! It gets impressions, which gets money and might as well since everyone is talking about when Bedard does *insert random stat here* every time he makes a play.

We could very well be doing it here but not everything has to be public you know. This is a reason why Buffalo (and to an extent NJ) took a step back and why everyone has been saying you can't have a room full of under 24 year old men as your roster. You need older voices in a locker room to mentor the kids and tell them how to deal with the situation. This is why we paid people like Gudbranson to come into the locker room.
This plus - and this is not a knock, this is one of the things I love about Nicky - but Foligno is a willing participant, perhaps even encourages it. He’s just a gregarious personality. So whatever “mentoring” is happening is going to be easy to see. Especially for a hockey media that’s looking for it already around a high-profile top pick.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So with the rules of Emergency recalls, what forward is out to warrant yet another emergency recall?

Jiricek technically had to go back when Werenski was healthy enough to play last night.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So with the rules of Emergency recalls, what forward is out to warrant yet another emergency recall?

Jiricek technically had to go back when Werenski was healthy enough to play last night.

Meyer? I cant remember what happened but remember a play where he looked uncomfortable

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

The twitterverse is losing their shit over this but I am sitting here trying to understand why, This was an emergency recall and if he didn't go back down it would burn one of them off. This is just what to expect at his stage of his career where your in-between the AHL-NHL. Plus he got a full day NHL pay and fed on the company dime. They wouldn't have sent him out there if there was a very real concern as that's quite an expense on the books otherwise.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The twitterverse is losing their shit over this but I am sitting here trying to understand why, This is just what to expect at his stage of his career where your in-between the AHL-NHL. Plus he got a full day NHL pay and fed on the company dime. They wouldn't have sent him out there if there was a very real concern as that's quite an expense on the books otherwise.
Because twitter and facebook is where the casuals gather to complain about things they dont understand

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The twitterverse is losing their shit over this but I am sitting here trying to understand why, This was an emergency recall and if he didn't go back down it would burn one of them off. This is just what to expect at his stage of his career where your in-between the AHL-NHL. Plus he got a full day NHL pay and fed on the company dime. They wouldn't have sent him out there if there was a very real concern as that's quite an expense on the books otherwise.
Most people don’t understand how emergency recalls work. I have no issue with him being sent back. I’m more curious who is the next man out to add Malatesta to the lineup.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
More poor planning

I think that's a bit unfortunate.

But you'd think from listening to Porty that a player's development can be measured in games played. As if training wasn't the bulk of it!

David has already played 60 games this year. That's a lot for a kid who hasn't filled out yet.

Celebrini has so far played much fewer than that. Why hasn't anyone complained that other leagues don't play enough games? Isn't the college schedule bad for players, if it's all about games played?

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think that's a bit unfortunate.

But you'd think from listening to Porty that a player's development can be measured in games played. As if training wasn't the bulk of it!

David has already played 60 games this year. That's a lot for a kid who hasn't filled out yet.

Celebrini has so far played much fewer than that. Why hasn't anyone complained that other leagues don't play enough games? Isn't the college schedule bad for players, if it's all about games played?
I'd buy the games played argument on Jiricek if he didn't already play 59 last season while missing some time with injuries. This ain't his first rodeo in professional hockey.

It is unfortunate from a timing perspective but it's hard to get better on a plane. if Werenski was seriously only going to "maybe" miss 1 game or not at all, they could have easily called up a different warm body to ride the bench. Now due to the AHL schedule, he won't be seeing game time for 9 days.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd buy the games played argument on Jiricek if he didn't already play 59 last season while missing some time with injuries. This ain't his first rodeo in professional hockey.

It is unfortunate from a timing perspective but it's hard to get better on a plane. if Werenski was seriously only going to "maybe" miss 1 game or not at all, they could have easily called up a different warm body to ride the bench. Now due to the AHL schedule, he won't be seeing game time for 9 days.

A 9 day break is a good time to go hard on the squat rack.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

You think there’s no difference in having a guy like Laine being a “mentor” to Fantilli and all the other young guys, over a guy like Foligno? People called me a “hater” then, but that was one of the most laughable things to be “happy” or “excited” about. Laine is a “leader” the same way he is a “center”.

THE GUY WAS OUR CAPTAIN. WHY WAS HE TRADED!?! If he wanted to only “win”, why is he playing in Chicago now?

Plenty of people have been vocal about their issues with how Jenner’s “leadership” or “voice” is perceived. The difference between him and Foligno is easy to notice. Ignoring the ignorant disrespect a guy like Gudbranson gets from all the fans who can’t ice skate, is it also not easy to see where his “voice” might not have the same impact on a top pick or highly touted offensive young player??

Not to mention, the difference with guys like Dubinsky and Hartnell, in relation to Kuraly. Where I see a CLEAR difference in body language and relationships with their teammates. These guys all had an impact on the Bjorkstrands and Andersons and W Karlssons and Dubois etc.

And on top of everything our worst problem is probably our $6 million d-bag goalie that the team doesn’t want to play in front of…..

More poor planning

I’m genuinely curious what the financial differences are when these guys are up for a couple/few days or so.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m genuinely curious what the financial differences are when these guys are up for a couple/few days or so.

AHL salary is $82,500 and NHL is $855000.

Pro-rate that out to the number of days in the season. If we hypothetically say there are 185 days (I have no idea the actual number) in the season, that is $445.95 per day in the AHL and $4,621.62 per day in the NHL.

For reference, in the same 185 day season, Johnny Gaudreau will make $41,891.89 per day on his base salary of $7,750,000.00. The remaining 2 million of that would be the signing bonus paid in a lump sum. If I understand capfriendly correctly, Johnny would actually get paid more if he were sent to Cleveland. They show his AHL salary as $9750,000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille