Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

AHL salary is $82,500 and NHL is $855000.

Pro-rate that out to the number of days in the season. If we hypothetically say there are 185 days (I have no idea the actual number) in the season, that is $445.95 per day in the AHL and $4,621.62 per day in the NHL.

For reference, in the same 185 day season, Johnny Gaudreau will make $41,891.89 per day on his base salary of $7,750,000.00. The remaining 2 million of that would be the signing bonus paid in a lump sum. If I understand capfriendly correctly, Johnny would actually get paid more if he were sent to Cleveland. They show his AHL salary as $9750,000.
Using the numbers and work you have done, my question now is, is Jiricek more upset about not playing NHL games, or the extra $4,000 dollars he isn’t getting per day??

To add, would Jiricek rather sit in the press box the majority of that time and get paid the extra money, or get paid less to play more games in the AHL? Why don’t these journalists ask these types of questions?

It sure would clear up many people’s ideas or problems I think many fans have against the team at this point regarding the situation and would or could alter people’s perception and personal opinion of Jiricek.

Everything said, it’s a lost season, and I’m admittedly not paying much attention to the team or what’s going on in CLE, BUT if Jiricek really thinks he’s an NHL player, this is probably the BEST time for him to get that “wake up” call that he isn’t ready quite yet or to help him get prepared. Better draft position might as well be what we care about at this point.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
As much as I think they’ve fumbled the Jiricek stuff this year, I think Portys complaints here are a bit of a nothing burger.
If this was the first time he was jerked back and forth, I’d agree. But it isn’t the first time. Remember Calgary? They sent him back from Calgary. Jiricek should be an important part of the future. I am not saying you need to coddle him, but you should treat him with respect. If my boss were flying me out to conferences and then sending me back without including me, you can be damn sure I wouldn’t feel respected and I’d be considering my options. (If my boss was paying me ten times my normal salary for the days I flew out, then my option might be pocketing the money and deciding my boss was a moron.)

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If this was the first time he was jerked back and forth, I’d agree. But it isn’t the first time. Remember Calgary? They sent him back from Calgary. Jiricek should be an important part of the future. I am not saying you need to coddle him, but you should treat him with respect. If my boss were flying me out to conferences and then sending me back without including me, you can be damn sure I wouldn’t feel respected and I’d be considering my options. (If my boss was paying me ten times my normal salary for the days I flew out, then my option might be pocketing the money and deciding my boss was a moron.)
Ironically this has happened a few times early in my work career to me. Trust me things change when they offer a significant bonus for your time for being a team player and going out there for support even if they don't use you. Any hard feelings disappear when you see that next paycheck.

I think at this point people are just projecting their feelings about the state of the club onto other people. Like legit people just think they threw him on a plane without a debrief of the situation and my mind was blown people actually thought that. If this is such a big deal where's the walsh rage tweets? This is a situation where it doesn't matter what the FO did the fans are gonna say they were wrong and "just another point to show the incompetence of CBJ"

Bring up Sweeney instead:
"WHY YOU NOT BRING UP JIRICEK! YOU WANT US TO RUN HIM OFF NOT GIVING HIM A CHANCE TO GO BACK TO THE MAIN CLUB! THIS FO IS A DISGRACE!"

You don't bring anyone up and Z can't play:
"WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING UP A PLAYER! NOW WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH BODIES TO PLAY TONIGHT! THIS FO IS A DISGRACE"

Why didn't you let Z play and instead Jiricek"
"Z WAS HEALTHY AND A LEADER ON OUR TEAM! YOU GOING TO MAKE 9MIL SIT ON THE BENCH TO ONE OF OUR MOST LOYAL PLAYERS! NOT ONLY THAT YOU COST US ONE OF OUR 4 REMAINING TRANSACTIONS TO PLAY A KID WHO IS STRUGGLING IN THE AHL! OUR FO IS A DISGRACE"

No matter what this FO does right now its going to be seen as a disgrace.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd buy the games played argument on Jiricek if he didn't already play 59 last season while missing some time with injuries. This ain't his first rodeo in professional hockey.

It is unfortunate from a timing perspective but it's hard to get better on a plane. if Werenski was seriously only going to "maybe" miss 1 game or not at all, they could have easily called up a different warm body to ride the bench. Now due to the AHL schedule, he won't be seeing game time for 9 days.
I'd argue the most important games Jiricek has to play this season are in the upcoming playoff run. How he handles the pressure there is more important in testing his limits than how he plays in games down the stretch when they've already all but locked up a playoff spot. Keeping him healthy and fresh for that is more important for Cleveland and his development at this point in the season.

Reactions: cslebn and Indy18

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Offseason Targets: Colton Parayko — Brayden Schenn

Do we have anything “available” STL would be interested in??

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd argue the most important games Jiricek has to play this season are in the upcoming playoff run. How he handles the pressure there is more important in testing his limits than how he plays in games down the stretch when they've already all but locked up a playoff spot. Keeping him healthy and fresh for that is more important for Cleveland and his development at this point in the season.
Maybe but AHL talent is still AHL talent.

Reactions: Indy18

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think at this point people are just projecting their feelings about the state of the club onto other people. Like legit people just think they threw him on a plane without a debrief of the situation and my mind was blown people actually thought that. If this is such a big deal where's the walsh rage tweets? This is a situation where it doesn't matter what the FO did the fans are gonna say they were wrong and "just another point to show the incompetence of CBJ"

Oh that's absolutely what it is.

You see all the time with other clubs that they might call a guy up for a game or two or have him watch an NHL game or two. And it's not a story. But when the Jackets do it it's a ridiculous big story.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe but AHL talent is still AHL talent.
I'm not super concerned, he needs experience and needs to gain confidence. As major said, he needs to get used to playing more games. It's not a problem when college guys do it, why is it for him?

Jiricek very much fits into that same mold, the last two seasons have been the most amount of games he's ever played with the rest of the season, playoffs and he'll definitely be getting some more WHC time this off-season, considering Czechia is hosting, I can't see him missing it unless he's stuck in Cleveland still.

Point being, he's going to continue to see plenty of action over the next 2 months.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
pascal vincent is a gutless coward who refuses to read my hfboards posts, but here is what he should do for the rest of the season, line-wise.

(assuming chinny is back soon, otherwise pyyhtia on L3 and nylander on L1)
gaudreau - sillinger - chinakhov​
texier - voronkov - marchenko​
malatesta - jenner - nylander​
pyyhtia - gaunce - olivier​
werenski - provorov​
christiansen - severson​
bean - gudbranson​
PP1 (no more 3F/2D nonsense on either unit)​
---10​
86-4-13​
---8​
PP2​
---38​
42-92-59​
---23​
PK forwards: jenner, sillinger, texier, voronkov, chinakhov, malatesta​

reasons why pascal vincent should do this:
  • because boone jenner's back will explode if he doesn't
  • because we somehow still don't have a good idea how 13 and 4 would do together
  • because a bunch of guys (chinny, marchy, tex, cole, voronkov) would benefit from ice time + the ability to actually make mistakes and keep playing
  • because the power play is cooked anyway and getting gaudreau comfortable on the right half-wall could pay big dividends next year if they keep laine around
reasons why pascal vincent won't do this:
  • because he is a gutless coward who doesn't read my hfboards posts
  • because recchi only knows how to run a dumb tiny little power play for babies
  • because boone jenner said "i like playing a lot of minutes" once

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Offseason Targets: Colton Parayko — Brayden Schenn

Do we have anything “available” STL would be interested in??
I'd love to have Schenn, but both he and Parayko have No Trade Clauses in their contracts so they'd have to waive.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
pascal vincent is a gutless coward who refuses to read my hfboards posts, but here is what he should do for the rest of the season, line-wise.

(assuming chinny is back soon, otherwise pyyhtia on L3 and nylander on L1)
gaudreau - sillinger - chinakhov​
texier - voronkov - marchenko​
malatesta - jenner - nylander​
pyyhtia - gaunce - olivier​
werenski - provorov​
christiansen - severson​
bean - gudbranson​
PP1 (no more 3F/2D nonsense on either unit)​
---10​
86-4-13​
---8​
PP2​
---38​
42-92-59​
---23​
PK forwards: jenner, sillinger, texier, voronkov, chinakhov, malatesta​

reasons why pascal vincent should do this:
  • because boone jenner's back will explode if he doesn't
  • because we somehow still don't have a good idea how 13 and 4 would do together
  • because a bunch of guys (chinny, marchy, tex, cole, voronkov) would benefit from ice time + the ability to actually make mistakes and keep playing
  • because the power play is cooked anyway and getting gaudreau comfortable on the right half-wall could pay big dividends next year if they keep laine around
reasons why pascal vincent won't do this:
  • because he is a gutless coward who doesn't read my hfboards posts
  • because recchi only knows how to run a dumb tiny little power play for babies
  • because boone jenner said "i like playing a lot of minutes" once
Bean is better than Christiansen on PP.

Gaudreau - Sillinger - Marchenko (this line played one period together and excellent in the last season and excellent)
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Nylander
Malatesta - Texier - Pyyhtia
Angle - Gaunce - Olivier

Let Jenner won't play some games. At least although the second line will play more.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Bean is better than Christiansen on PP.
i almost put bean there initially.

only reason for putting christiansen over him in that spot is that he has more recently run a power play (in cleveland) than bean has, and vincent mentioned that the AHL reports were that he was an NHL-level player.

if christiansen is an NHL defenseman, it's probably as LD3 with occasional PP2 time. that's basically what bean is now. no issue with either guy being in that spot, or even them rotating.

the main thing is, at this point, there's absolutely nothing to gain by having provorov or severson on either power play unit.
Gaudreau - Sillinger - Marchenko (this line played one period together and excellent in the last season and excellent)
yeah my main thing is getting gaudreau and sillinger together, doesn't really matter to me if it's marchenko or chinakhov on the RW, both are good.
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Nylander
Malatesta - Texier - Pyyhtia
Angle - Gaunce - Olivier
at this point i think there are enough centers that they don't necessarily need to see what texier looks like there – i'd rather give him a chance at one of the top six wing spots and see how he plays in that kind of role. alternatively, could be:

gaudreau - sillinger - texier
chinakhov - voronkov - marchenko
pyyhtia - jenner - nylander
malatesta - gaunce - olivier

LW3 and LW4 are interchangeable here tbh. i'm not convinced that pyyhtia will ever be an NHLer – doesn't have the skill/production to play on an NHL scoring line, too small/not physical enough to be a checking line guy – but he plays with pace and would be a fine passenger on that line.

Let Jenner won't play some games. At least although the second line will play more.
but boone wants to play! therefore pascal vincent has to play him! that's what the rules say! /s

anyway, if the jackets find themselves in the playoffs in the next three years, it'll be with some combination of fantilli + voronkov, sillinger, or someone else (celebrini!) as the top two centers. it won't be with boone playing 20+ minutes.

between that, his previous injuries, and the fact that wins at this point mean nothing, the rational thing to do with boone is see how he looks in the role he will one day have if and when the jackets get good, which is either a middle six wing or a 3C.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

they have six NHL-level forwards and six AHL-level guys and yet for some nebulous reason only known by pascal vincent, dmitry voronkov is not on one of the two top lines.

also, for all the talk of gaudreau having a bad year… he has spent more than 3x as much time at 5v5 with jenner (628:55) as he has without him (192:33). feels like it would behoove pascal vincent to try him with a different center!

worth noting that when jenner missed a 15-game stretch earlier this year, gaudreau put up 13 points. that's a 71-point pace without jenner, versus a 57-point pace with him (39p in 56gp).

in other words: gaudreau has produced like a second-line player on jenner's wing, and like a top-line player when jenner's been out of the lineup. there's no reason to keep them together at this point – especially with all the injuries!

…on that note, johnny's played just 21:22 at 5v5 with voronkov this season.

Last edited:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
they have six NHL-level forwards and six AHL-level guys and yet for some nebulous reason only known by pascal vincent, dmitry voronkov is not on one of the two top lines.
And apparently playing LW.

also, for all the talk of gaudreau having a bad year… he has spent more than 3x as much time at 5v5 with jenner (628:55) as he has without him (192:33). feels like it would behoove pascal vincent to try him with a different center!

worth noting that when jenner missed a 15-game stretch earlier this year, gaudreau put up 13 points. that's a 71-point pace without jenner, versus a 57-point pace with him (39p in 56gp).

in other words: gaudreau has produced like a second-line player on jenner's wing, and like a top-line player when jenner's been out of the lineup. there's no reason to keep them together at this point – especially with all the injuries!

…on that note, johnny's played just 21:22 at 5v5 with voronkov this season.
Who did he play with when he didn't play with Jenner? Fantilli?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
And apparently playing LW.
it's ridiculous! if anything, they should try him with jenner (whether he's on the wing or in the middle), and give sillinger an extended run with gaudreau.
Who did he play with when he didn't play with Jenner? Fantilli?
iirc pascal's first instinct to fill jenner's spot was to bump danforth up, but eventually he put johnny and fantilli together.

Reactions: LJ7

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
it's ridiculous! if anything, they should try him with jenner (whether he's on the wing or in the middle), and give sillinger an extended run with gaudreau.
Oh, well. It probably doesn't hurt to gauge the AHL guys properly. I suspect Voronkov will get plenty of opportunities to play C in the future.

iirc pascal's first instinct to fill jenner's spot was to bump danforth up, but eventually he put johnny and fantilli together.
Of course, there are more factors at play there. How was it going for the team, what other players were on the ice, if it was just a random hot streak for Gaudreau, etc. Having said that, I'd really want to see Gaudreau with Fantilli on a more regular basis next season.

Which reminds me: man, Fantilli's and Johnson's injuries have really killed the end of the season for me.

Reactions: squashmaple

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

As much as I was against trading Jenner, a big part of me is like “I wish they had if only to force Pascal to play literally anyone else.”

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Which reminds me: man, Fantilli's and Johnson's injuries have really killed the end of the season for me.
it hurts to say this as a fan but there is a dearth of reasons to actually watch the games at this point. the games don't matter! the only reasons to tune in would be:
  1. to watch fantilli and johnson get acclimated to the NHL (both are out)
  2. to watch laine clap bombs (he's out)
  3. to watch chinakhov continue to grow (he's out)
  4. to watch voronkov do his thing (he's barely playing)
  5. to watch jiricek get more NHL games in (he's in cleveland)
  6. to see how sillinger and gaudreau play together (they're not)
  7. to see if boqvist can run a power play (he wasn't on it, now he's out again)
  8. to watch the russian line (pascal hates them)
  9. to see top prospects get their cup of coffee (svozil and del bel belluz still in the AHL, brindley + dumais still playing with their teams)
the closest thing to a compelling storyline that this team has had in weeks was alex nylander's hot streak, which came to a complete halt and now he's out of the lineup, too.

i feel obligated to tune in, but… it's bleak, man. provorov and severson are mainstays on the power play, boone jenner is playing 25 minutes a night, and most nights the team has zero jump and barely touches the puck.

what's the hook for tonight's game? that alex texier gets a chance to play with gaudreau? i'll still tune in, but ugh.

even when they're not winning it's still supposed to be an entertainment product at its core, and they're failing to even do that right now.

As much as I was against trading Jenner, a big part of me is like “I wish they had if only to force Pascal to play literally anyone else.”
imo they played their best stretch of hockey when jenner was out because it forced vincent to roll all four lines. there were a few nights where none of the forwards were over 18 min or under 13 iirc.

and a ton of their blown third period leads this year have come in games where pascal refuses to ice any of the young guys in the third, and just rotates the jenner + kuraly lines. he's a coward. it makes the actual on-ice product unwatchable.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
i almost put bean there initially.

only reason for putting christiansen over him in that spot is that he has more recently run a power play (in cleveland) than bean has, and vincent mentioned that the AHL reports were that he was an NHL-level player.

if christiansen is an NHL defenseman, it's probably as LD3 with occasional PP2 time. that's basically what bean is now. no issue with either guy being in that spot, or even them rotating.

the main thing is, at this point, there's absolutely nothing to gain by having provorov or severson on either power play unit.

yeah my main thing is getting gaudreau and sillinger together, doesn't really matter to me if it's marchenko or chinakhov on the RW, both are good.

at this point i think there are enough centers that they don't necessarily need to see what texier looks like there – i'd rather give him a chance at one of the top six wing spots and see how he plays in that kind of role. alternatively, could be:

gaudreau - sillinger - texier
chinakhov - voronkov - marchenko
pyyhtia - jenner - nylander
malatesta - gaunce - olivier

LW3 and LW4 are interchangeable here tbh. i'm not convinced that pyyhtia will ever be an NHLer – doesn't have the skill/production to play on an NHL scoring line, too small/not physical enough to be a checking line guy – but he plays with pace and would be a fine passenger on that line.

but boone wants to play! therefore pascal vincent has to play him! that's what the rules say! /s

anyway, if the jackets find themselves in the playoffs in the next three years, it'll be with some combination of fantilli + voronkov, sillinger, or someone else (celebrini!) as the top two centers. it won't be with boone playing 20+ minutes.

between that, his previous injuries, and the fact that wins at this point mean nothing, the rational thing to do with boone is see how he looks in the role he will one day have if and when the jackets get good, which is either a middle six wing or a 3C.
Chinakhov and Sillinger have chemistry and played excellent with Voráček. But Gaudreai is not Jakub. Small, nod ideal play at the boards, not so strong.
Texier played best with NS player, for example Kuraly.
Everything stands and falls on the fact that Boone wants to play a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad