Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I still think the idea is to give Morrow (assuming he signs) the first look at 3RHD. That would necessitate either another Orlov type LHD to baby sit or another responsible UFA for the left side on the 3rd pairing.

That said, if the AHL affiliate thing gets worked out, they could give Morrow a good look in camp and send him down to work on the issues that surface. Then you're probably looking at either a new 3rd pairing or a higher end RHD for the 2nd pairing on a shortish contract.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I still think the idea is to give Morrow (assuming he signs) the first look at 3RHD. That would necessitate either another Orlov type LHD to baby sit or another responsible UFA for the left side on the 3rd pairing.

That said, if the AHL affiliate thing gets worked out, they could give Morrow a good look in camp and send him down to work on the issues that surface. Then you're probably looking at either a new 3rd pairing or a higher end RHD for the 2nd pairing on a shortish contract.
If Pens want to retain about 1.5 million on Graves, he would be a good long term LHD for us. Good partner for Morrow, eventually on the 3rd pair. Also, not a bad bridge guy to ease Nikishin into his 2LD role.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
What does everyone think the line combos should be when everyone is healthy? Curious to see everyone’s opinions.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Playing around...

1710900964261.png

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ooof. We are in trouble if we are paying noesen that and then having no extra skater.

If we are paying for JG, necas, and Jarvis long term then we are going to have to go cheap with our depth guys. Drury and Noesen would have to be gone in this scenario. We know martinook is coming back

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Ooof. We are in trouble if we are paying noesen that and then having no extra skater.

If we are paying for JG, necas, and Jarvis long term then we are going to have to go cheap with our depth guys. Drury and Noesen would have to be gone in this scenario. We know martinook is coming back

I think the Canes are probably fine with Guentzel just being a great rental, especially if the Canes win the Cup. IMO it's a harder decision if they don't finish the job this year.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

Unless Noesen wants to take like 1 million a year he’s gone. He deserves to get paid. Martinook we know will be back. Drury at 2.5 is a bit rich imo

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We will likely have to make a decision between Guentzel and Teravainen. I don't see any way that we can keep them both. Personally I believe Guentzel is likely a pure rental. I also believe we are likely going to have to bridge Jarvis at something close to what we bridged Necas. And I think we'll have to try and get Necas at around $6.5 - $6.75 million and I'm not sure he'll take that.

I've tried a few combinations and I don't see any way we can keep both Skjei and Pesce. Skjei is going to get paid a lot more than we'll be willing to give him. We might be able to swing Pesce but that likely requires letting Chatfield walk.

Also, we may have to make a decision between Drury and Kotkaniemi. I do believe GMBC wants to see if KoKo can pull himself out of his funk. But given Kuznetsov's presence next season, there's really only one center slot unless they move Drury to LW (which he's played both this year and in the past).

Finally, knowing all of this, I believe we'll target a UFA forward that is around $4 million to $5 million. Think Jake Debrusk, Anthony Duclair, or some such.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We will likely have to make a decision between Guentzel and Teravainen. I don't see any way that we can keep them both. Personally I believe Guentzel is likely a pure rental. I also believe we are likely going to have to bridge Jarvis at something close to what we bridged Necas. And I think we'll have to try and get Necas at around $6.5 - $6.75 million and I'm not sure he'll take that.

I've tried a few combinations and I don't see any way we can keep both Skjei and Pesce. Skjei is going to get paid a lot more than we'll be willing to give him. We might be able to swing Pesce but that likely requires letting Chatfield walk.

Also, we may have to make a decision between Drury and Kotkaniemi. I do believe GMBC wants to see if KoKo can pull himself out of his funk. But given Kuznetsov's presence next season, there's really only one center slot unless they move Drury to LW (which he's played both this year and in the past).

Finally, knowing all of this, I believe we'll target a UFA forward that is around $4 million to $5 million. Think Jake Debrusk, Anthony Duclair, or some such.
There is no decision to be made between them. If Guentzel is open to extending you do it 10 times out of 10 and wish Turbo the best of luck in his future endeavors

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
My guess is we

let walk: TT, Pesce, Skjei, Martinook, Noesen, Tony

re-sign: Guentzel, Jarvis, Necas, Chatfield, Drury

trade: KK to a Chicago or San Jose for a 3rd or whatever

Guentzel - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - Kuzy - Necas
x - Staal - X
Lemieux - Drury - Fast

Slavic - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
X - Morrow

Andersen
Kotchetkoc

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There is no decision to be made between them. If Guentzel is open to extending you do it 10 times out of 10 and wish Turbo the best of luck in his future endeavors
He's not going to take what we will need to pay him if we want to ice a similar team to last season. Jarvis, Necas, Drury, Martinook, Pesce, Skjei....all need deals or we need to let them walk. So Tuevo isn't the only issue. But he's still primarily a Top 6 forward. As was said, with Guentzel, we have 7 forwards for 6 spots. Both guys will be 30 next season.

Look I have no problem not re-signing Tuevo, but I wouldn't sign Guentzel to the contract he'll be looking for. The two guys will directly impact Jarvis and Necas. As we are seeing unfold before our very eyes, thos two pieces are pretty damn important.

As much as I like KK (I have his jersey), he very well could be a cap casualty. But I'm not sure we'll be able to move him without adding assets. Again, not sure that's in the front office's DNA.

Regardless, it's going to be a fun off-season.

Reactions: geehaad

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He's not going to take what we will need to pay him if we want to ice a similar team to last season. Jarvis, Necas, Drury, Martinook, Pesce, Skjei....all need deals or we need to let them walk. So Tuevo isn't the only issue. But he's still primarily a Top 6 forward. As was said, with Guentzel, we have 7 forwards for 6 spots. Both guys will be 30 next season.

Look I have no problem not re-signing Tuevo, but I wouldn't sign Guentzel to the contract he'll be looking for. The two guys will directly impact Jarvis and Necas. As we are seeing unfold before our very eyes, thos two pieces are pretty damn important.

As much as I like KK (I have his jersey), he very well could be a cap casualty. But I'm not sure we'll be able to move him without adding assets. Again, not sure that's in the front office's DNA.

Regardless, it's going to be a fun off-season.
Once again, you don't need to add assets to dump Kotkaniemi.

He can be bought out this June for an $835K payout and cap hit annually. That would give Carolina an additional $4M in cap space next season with zero assets given up.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

He can be bought out this June for an $835K payout and cap hit annually. That would give Carolina an additional $4M in cap space next season with zero assets given up.
$835K for 12 years, that is a long time. It’s not a large cap percentage, and the cap should rise quite a bit over that period, but think about all of the ammunition that will provide the salty Hab fans for over a decade :sarcasm:

KK has been bad this year, but I think he should get at least one more season to prove his worth. Though if it comes to choosing between Drury or KK, i’m going with Drury.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

And really, someone would be willing to take KK off our hands for a cheap return if it came to it. He's got a good contract, and something a rebuilding team looking for a bit of long term stability at a reasonable price would love to pick up.

If Guentzel is open to an extension, we do it. And we work our magic to make the numbers work. Team wouldn't be the same as it was this year, but the status quo prior to this year probably wasn't good enough anyway, so he's worth the pivot

Reactions: Unsustainable

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
KK is a perfect cap space eater for a San Jose, Chicago, even Arizona. Though it feels like a Future Considerations move.

What is our deadline to buy him out at the reduced cap hit? That feels more and more like the right move, we need a more productive use of that $5m cap hit given the raises that other key pieces are due and the potential holes in our lineup.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
What does everyone think the line combos should be when everyone is healthy? Curious to see everyone’s opinions.
I think we're looking at the below.

Guentz - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - Kuzy - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Fast
Noesen - KK/Drury - TT

And it flips between KK and Drury depending on who is playing well, so likely Drury to start when he's back.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Kuznetsov at $3.9M and Kotkaniemi at $4.8M doesn’t work, need to choose between one or the other.

I think they can keep all of Guentzel, Necas and Jarvis….IF - Guentzel signs for $8M or just a shade over, Necas at no more than $7.5M and Jarvis on a bridge at $5.5M or so. As long as they could keep all those deals in that ballpark AND if they dump Kotkanimi’s cap hit, it’s tight, but doable.

Also, this assumes Skjei, Pesce and Teravainen are gone. They’d have to be comfortable breaking in a rookie on an ELC in the bottom 6 (Unger Sorum?) and also with Chatfield and Orlov becoming the 2nd pair. The biggest challenge would be building an acceptable 3rd pair.

I don’t see them paying Geuntzel $9M, at all. He might be seeking that, and if he is, then happy trails. If Guentzel walks, then it becomes much easier cap wise, and I think they end up re-upping Teravainen. Still makes sense to dump Kotkaniemi and replace with Drury long term.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

We don’t strike me as a buy out management, living with a cap hit for that many years is a generation long reminder of this transaction. If you have to pay someone a little something to take him, you do it. If we can take someone else’s garbage and turn it to gold for us then we do that.

I don’t see a buyout and I don’t see them paying KK’s salary to be on the fourth line. They could ride it out a year then give him back the second line I suppose, but now that they’ve seen for a second time what having a better player in that spot can do I have a hard time thinking they’ll intentionally put KK in the 2C spot again.

Kuznetsov at $3.9M and Kotkaniemi at $4.8M doesn’t work, need to choose between one or the other.

I think they can keep all of Guentzel, Necas and Jarvis….IF - Guentzel signs for $8M or just a shade over, Necas at no more than $7.5M and Jarvis on a bridge at $5.5M or so. As long as they could keep all those deals in that ballpark AND if they dump Kotkanimi’s cap hit, it’s tight, but doable.

Also, this assumes Skjei, Pesce and Teravainen are gone. They’d have to be comfortable breaking in a rookie on an ELC in the bottom 6 (Unger Sorum?) and also with Chatfield and Orlov becoming the 2nd pair. The biggest challenge would be building an acceptable 3rd pair.

I don’t see them paying Geuntzel $9M, at all. He might be seeking that, and if he is, then happy trails. If Guentzel walks, then it becomes much easier cap wise, and I think they end up re-upping Teravainen. Still makes sense to dump Kotkaniemi and replace with Drury long term.
They’ll find guys like Comtois to take bottom six roles at league minimums, they won’t have to force young guys into those roles.

Rod likes Drury, which is an easy thing to see coming. He’d choose him over KK. One could move to wing though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad