Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree with that. While we walked away from Dougie, since he said they never gave a competitive offer, I often felt like Trocheck walked away from us as much as we walked away from him.
I never heard we offered Tro much. I thought he said the same at the time. I know that happened with Nino for sure. Nino said we never really tried to keep him. We lowballed Dougie pretty badly. Tro got less than a million raise. You’d assume that was a term issue.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With Buffalo getting Byram and Walker having a career year in his contract year, Pesce’s market is likely shrinking.

Edmonton, Toronto (x2) and Ottawa will be chasing RHDs a long with a couple of others. The number of quality RHDs has gone up by 1 and the need down by 1.

Be interesting to see how that shakes out. Im guessing Pesce’s people get permission to look for their next deal around the draft and we’ll know whether he is going or staying then

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
So we have some serious questions in the off season for sure, and the following season also.

We have:
Slavin - Burns
Orlov

For 1 more season.

Slavin is an automatic 8y contract, likely a candidate for the C.
Burns may stay a year, but will be 40.
Chatfield does he try to get paid, or does he stay where he got the chance and earned it?
Skjei, he earned a good contract extension.
Pesce is probably pricing himself out.

So Morrow and Nikishin are the 2 most ready to make the jump. But having 2 rookies in the back, Nikishin probably has the easier time making the change to NHL.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

Attachments

• giphy[1].gif
    giphy[1].gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
So we have some serious questions in the off season for sure, and the following season also.

We have:
Slavin - Burns
Orlov

For 1 more season.

Chatfield does he try to get paid, or does he stay where he got the chance and earned it?

So Morrow and Nikishin are the 2 most ready to make the jump. But having 2 rookies in the back, Nikishin probably has the easier time making the change to NHL.
Nikishin isn't until like a year from now or so not this fall

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I could see them doing what they did with the LD this year, go out and bring in a guy who is going to take on an increased role once a contract runs out. Or they slot in Chatty at the 2nd pairing, sign a third pairing RD or maybe Morrow takes that spot. Either way, the RHD1 spot will have to be figured out next summer.

Reactions: DaveG

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I could see them doing what they did with the LD this year, go out and bring in a guy who is going to take on an increased role once a contract runs out. Or they slot in Chatty at the 2nd pairing, sign a third pairing RD or maybe Morrow takes that spot. Either way, the RHD1 spot will have to be figured out next summer.
I kinda want to push for a #1rhd that will slot in on the 2nd pairing to replace Burns, gives them a year in the system to be ready.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

We have:
Slavin - Burns
Orlov

For 1 more season.

I imagine that we can basically slot Chatfield into that spot next to Orlov next season. Now, Chatfield historically has not played the minutes typically associated with a top-4 defenseman, and will probably be paid and played accordingly if he chooses to stay here. I would therefore not be surprised if the Canes sign or trade for another top-4 caliber lefty and play him higher minutes than the typical third-pair D (similar to how Orlov is used). Ferraro makes sense here, and so does someone like TJ Brodie (in the veteran-without-a-cup mold) if they don't want to pony up assets in a trade.

Last edited:

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
With Buffalo getting Byram and Walker having a career year in his contract year, Pesce’s market is likely shrinking.

Edmonton, Toronto (x2) and Ottawa will be chasing RHDs a long with a couple of others. The number of quality RHDs has gone up by 1 and the need down by 1.

Be interesting to see how that shakes out. Im guessing Pesce’s people get permission to look for their next deal around the draft and we’ll know whether he is going or staying then
his skating has regressed. lost a step (or two). likely signing elsewhere.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
A big no from me having Burns, TDA and Chatfield as our 3 RHD next year.

Move on from TDA. I was in favor of bringing him back this past season, but would rather have a more defensive minded RHD brought in if Pesce is gone.
I doubt he'll have much of a market and I don't see any reason not to bring him back as a cheap #7 if he doesn't find a better opportunity elsewhere. But yeah I wouldn't slot him in as one of our top 3 RHD.

I still think we wind up keeping Pesce and letting Skjei walk. Skjei is gonna get a massive contract, Pesce may get less than we thought he might a year ago. Also a very strong chance we lose both, but honestly I think we're pretty well prepared for it if we can keep Chat. Losing all 3 of Chat, Skjei and Pesce would be a big issue next year though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I doubt he'll have much of a market and I don't see any reason not to bring him back as a cheap #7 if he doesn't find a better opportunity elsewhere. But yeah I wouldn't slot him in as one of our top 3 RHD.

I don't have a problem with him as a #7, but based on his comments not long ago about wanting to play, I'm not sure he'll sign on for that even with him not having much of a market.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don't have a problem with him as a #7, but based on his comments not long ago about wanting to play, I'm not sure he'll sign on for that even with him not having much of a market.
I suspect he both wants to play plus reach a higher level of income. #7 d’s don’t get paid.

Btw: is there a game OP tonight?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I still think we wind up keeping Pesce and letting Skjei walk. Skjei is gonna get a massive contract, Pesce may get less than we thought he might a year ago. Also a very strong chance we lose both, but honestly I think we're pretty well prepared for it if we can keep Chat. Losing all 3 of Chat, Skjei and Pesce would be a big issue next year though.
I’m sure no small part of who comes and goes on d comes down to the forwards. If Jake signs, if Necas stays at a fair rate…TT’s fate may be attached to those two. There’s a lot of chess to be played with all of that. Necas could be used to acquire a D with term. If Jake signs a big deal one of the D goes right there, maybe two of them. I agree Skjei is getting paid but we still might prefer to keep him and stay in the running. As great as Orlov has played he’s only got a year left so signing Skjei makes sense to me. Find room for Nikishin when it matters, and that third pair spot would be his that year anyways.

It’s been nice having Orlov on the third pair, this is another reason why I think it’s fine to “block” Nikishin from the top two pairs for a year or two. It’s part of what makes a us a contender. That defensive depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad