Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The gravy line is yet to be determined.
TT getting the green light to be a passer to Guentzel and Aho from the RW spot:

1709956242310.gif

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Unfortunately I didn't get traded today so I guess I'm stuck here. But I think I can out-produce KK on the 4th line so just pencil me in there.
I could probably out produce Kotkaniemi. My plan is to just stand in front of the net and let pucks bounce in off of me. If I'm really lucky I might get a tip here or there.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Playing around on CapFriendly for next yrs roster:

-keeping Guentzel at $8.5M

-the major RFAs (Jarvis bridge at $5.5M and Necas long term at $7.25M - granted this very likely may be much higher than the Canes are willing to pay but for illustration I figured why not go to the top)

-Chatfield at $2.75M

-Drury at $2.25M

-2 ELCs (made the assumption Unger Sorum makes the jump at his rate of $860K and Morrow signs for $925K)

-Martinook at $2M

That would be 12 forwards, 5 defenders and 2 goalies under contract for next year:

Guentzel-Aho-Necas
Svechnikov-Kuznetsov-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Kotkaniemu/Drury-Drury/Kotkaniemi-Unger Sorum

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-Morrow

Andersen
Kochetkov

There’d be $2.4M left for a 13th forward and 3rd pair LD and extra D

Pretty tight and the blueline is significantly weaker. If you subtract one of Kotkaniemi or Kuznetsov and reallocate their cap to the defense, I think it looks a lot better.

Of course, if Guentzel walks (or demands $9M*), no issues at all really, just need to reallocate that $8.5M to a top 6 replacement or 2. Then there’s the whole not giving a 30yr old max term and all that.

Also, I doubt it’d be the Canes to give Necas $7M+, but again, went on the high end there.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

-the major RFAs (Jarvis bridge at $5.5M and Necas long term at $7.25M - granted this very likely may be much higher than the Canes are willing to pay but for illustration I figured why not go to the top)

-Chatfield at $2.75M

-Drury at $2.25M

-2 ELCs (made the assumption Unger Sorum makes the jump at his rate of $860K and Morrow signs for $925K)

-Martinook at $2M

That would be 12 forwards, 5 defenders and 2 goalies under contract for next year:

Guentzel-Aho-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-Morrow

Andersen
Kochetkov

Pretty tight and the blueline is significantly weaker. If you subtract one of Kotkaniemi or Kuznetsov and reallocate their cap to the defense, I think it looks a lot better.

Of course, if Guentzel walks (or demands $9M*), no issues at all really, just need to reallocate that $8.5M to a top 6 replacement or 2. Then there’s the whole not giving a 30yr old max term and all that.

Also, I doubt it’d be the Canes to give Necas $7M+, but again, went on the high end there.
I think it would be a mistake to not lock Jarvis up long term if he’s willing.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

-Chatfield at $2.75M

-Drury at $2.25M

-Martinook at $2M

Guentzel-Aho-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-Morrow

Andersen
Kochetkov

now do this without the 8m paperweight

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

-Chatfield at $2.75M

-Drury at $2.25M

-Martinook at $2M

Guentzel-Aho-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-Morrow

Andersen
Kochetkov

It depends on how things go in the playoffs, but as it stands right now, if I was king for a day in the off-season, I wouldn't re-sign Martinook and I'd find a way to move or buy-out Kotkaniemi and try to keep Skjei.

Time to try and find room for guys like Rees and Suzuki if they can make it out of camp.

I also don't think it's random that the Canes acquired Comtois and Ty Smith.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

-Chatfield at $2.75M

-Drury at $2.25M

-Martinook at $2M

Guentzel-Aho-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-Morrow

Andersen
Kochetkov

We would need to move kk in this situation as our defense would need a strong 3LD in this scenario. The defense would take a big step back with orlov-chatty as the 2nd pairing and morrow trying out nhl defense with a league minimum guy to his left.

Edit: then again Necas may not be back in this scenario either. Necas is already wanting to play center and we go get a guy who is arguably a worse fit than him for 2C. That wouldn’t sit well. Kuzy feels like the lefty version of Necas but even less forecheck/back check motivation. It could be a move to keep the dynamism in the lineup if and when Necas says he is done

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

-Chatfield at $2.75M

-Drury at $2.25M

-Martinook at $2M

Guentzel-Aho-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-Morrow

Andersen
Kochetkov

Not out of the realm of possibilities here. As much as I want to lock up Jarvy, I almost think you have to bridge him until Orlov/Burns come off the books. And I like Martinook, but if he's not willing to sign for like $1.5M I don't know if that's money well spent. Would also look at dumping Fast $2.4M if we need a bit more breathing room

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think the absolutely ideal scenario for Guentzel is if he is willing to take something in the realm of the Svech contract (8x7.75). I'd be amiable, though, with any contract with a cap hit under 8.6M a year under our cap structure. He can just be a rental if he wants to chase the Hamilton cap hit, and I'd be totally fine with that, because ultimately, our team wins because of how deep they are.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
8 years, even 7 is a LONG time on a 30 year old wing

You're right, but if it lowers the cap hit enough and if you think his game can age well, you have to consider it. I wouldn't give the 8th year for a cap hit over 8.5M. I generally think that it would be a huge win if the Canes can successfully keep the cap hit under 8, even if it requires the 8th year to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daeavorn

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
My thoughts?

Necas and KK traded for an big deal at the draft.

Jarvis gets an 8 year deal around 7m
A prospect will make the team, Drury takes a 3 year deal.
Skjei stays, Pesce probably walks, Guentzel probably stays pending our results.

I could see something like that if the Canes don't make it to the Cup Finals. It's more difficult to make an argument not to keep Necas if we do have a team that can get there. We will see, however. Postseasons are super-unpredictable.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Willingness to pay Guentzel for 8 years but walking from dougie and Trocheck while likely doing the same with Skjei doesn’t line up.
I agree with that. While we walked away from Dougie, since he said they never gave a competitive offer, I often felt like Trocheck walked away from us as much as we walked away from him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I agree with that. While we walked away from Dougie, since he said they never gave a competitive offer, I often felt like Trocheck walked away from us as much as we walked away from him.
I can see us playing it out with Necas up until the draft. If he really isn’t going to stay, throw a high AAV 5 year deal at him. Anything more than 6, should be a no go unless the cap hit is really good

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Willingness to pay Guentzel for 8 years but walking from dougie and Trocheck while likely doing the same with Skjei doesn’t line up.
Dougie I think was his ultra soft play in the playoffs that lead to his departure, and Trocheck likely wanted to try the market.

Likewise, willingness to pay Aho, if Guentzel and Aho click, better keep him.

Reactions: cptjeff

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I could see something like that if the Canes don't make it to the Cup Finals. It's more difficult to make an argument not to keep Necas if we do have a team that can get there. We will see, however. Postseasons are super-unpredictable.
Let's go a step further still and then all bets are off, as every FA will command a premium on free market and we can't afford them anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad