Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Controversial thought i know:

Does anyone think Svetch is worth $7.75M right now? JW needed a year to get back to play so a trade could be dicey. However, based on his play, I’d keep Necas and JG versus AS right now.

His NTC kicks in ‘25-‘26 so easier to move in the upcoming off season

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Controversial thought i know:

Does anyone think Svetch is worth $7.75M right now? JW needed a year to get back to play so a trade could be dicey. However, based on his play, I’d keep Necas and JG versus AS right now.

His NTC kicks in ‘25-‘26 so easier to move in the upcoming off season
He’s certainly not worth that now, but he’s still close to a ppg player in off year coming off a major injury. I don’t see any way that they would consider moving on from him at this point. He’s still quite young and locked up.

Somewhat same thing for Kotkaniemi, he’s still so young. Even if it makes a ton of sense to dump him and reclaim that $5M in space, it’s tough to see them cutting bait and taking a loss in getting rid of him.

I think it’s most likely that Guentzel is a pure rental. I’d really like them to figure out a way to keep him, but with all the contracts they have expiring, I think it’s more important for them to keep both Necas and Jarvis vs one of them and Guentzel. It’s also more up their alley to sign players in thier mid 20s to long term deals than a 30yr old.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
For me the Kotkaniemi issue is complicated by Kuznetsov more than Guentzel.

I don’t see them going into next year with a 4.82M 4c and Drury getting whatever he gets as an arbitration eligible RFA.

Yes, Kotkaniemi is only 23. Yes, he was playing very well through 2023. But with Kuznetsov now can they afford to continue to develop Kotkaniemi?

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
I think it's all dependent on how the playoffs go. Is Guentzel a 8 million dollar player? Who is available in the offseason? I also think it's one of Guentzel or Necas personally. They could get a haul of players for Necas to fill out the rest of the roster if the combo of Guentzel/Aho kills it in the playoffs. I think KK stays no matter what as he has always been a long term plan and Kuznetsov only has one more year on this contract.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yes, Kotkaniemi is only 23.
A technical notion (which probably has been made before): per SPC, whether the buyout is 1/3 or 2/3 depends on the player's age at the time of termination. Kotkaniemi's birthday is on July 6th, so after the main buyout window between June 15th* and June 30th, so the cheaper buyout can still be done in 2026 while he's 25 at the time.

Unless there's come corona-like business in 2026 again which would push the season ending and the buyout window later and past his 26th birthday.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Unless there's come corona-like business in 2026 again which would push the season ending and the buyout window later and past his 26th birthday.

giphy.gif

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
For me the Kotkaniemi issue is complicated by Kuznetsov more than Guentzel.

I don’t see them going into next year with a 4.82M 4c and Drury getting whatever he gets as an arbitration eligible RFA.

Yes, Kotkaniemi is only 23. Yes, he was playing very well through 2023. But with Kuznetsov now can they afford to continue to develop Kotkaniemi?
Yep, this too. 2 middle 6 centers tying up almost $9M in space is not ideal. Likely one of Kotkaniemi/Drury is dealt this summer. Drury is infinitely more moveable.

My thought in this is - trade Drury for Ferraro from the Sharks. The Sharks were rumored to be interested in Drury last year in the Meier talks and the Canes were rumored to be interested in trading for Ferraro this past summer. With Kotkaniemi, Kuznetsov and Staal, no room for Drury, Ferraro also is on a cheap-ish deal, $3.25M for the next 2 years, so some cost certainty on the blueline while they work in Nikishin and hopefully Morrow in the next few seasons.

Also, maybe Drury for Jokiharju from the Sabres would be an interesting swap.

General idea though would be to use Drury to bring in a cheap-ish D to mitigate the loss of Skjei and likely Pesce. Drury used for this because the cost of moving Kotkaniemi is probably not palatable and a buyout is unlikely.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So many moving pieces I really have no clue what they end up doing. I will say this, when I hear "the Borg likely won't do this or that" because of what they've done in the past, I don't buy it. My take is that while they have general principles or best practices that guide them, they likely don't lock themselves into them. I'd bet they reevaluate the landscape as it changes and make the best decision for that environment and how they project the future.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Re Jarvis, Cory weighs in:

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Re Jarvis, Cory weighs in:

The "related articles" feature at North State Journal needs some Quaker State and a set of 40 weight ball bearings:

1711492423538.png

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Interesting line combos at practice today (Necas out):
Guentzel - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Staal - Teravainen
Martinook - Kuznetsov - Fast (in yellow jersey)
Kotkaniemi - Drury - Noesen (+Lemieux)

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad